Traditional Thai Dressing Rules For Men

fraksken

Hi,

I really didn't know where to post this, but here it goes.

I am looking for Traditional Thai Clothes. Here 3 events arise:

- Traditional wedding for the groom

- Traditional outfit for special events (festival, ...)

- Traditional outfit for daily life.

I would very much like some examples.

Anybody know any good places where I can buy these? I am allergic to nickle so for any metal pieces I need them to be in genuine Silver or Gold.

Thanks for all advice / tips.

well, you need to be more specific and to where in Thailand. For example everyday clothing for a man from say a rural issan village, may be nothing more than a piece of colorful cloth wrapped around his waist. Although Thais appear to be similar, they are very unique depending on which part of the country the come from.

• Like 1

Thanks Thairich. You are, of course, very correct. I am particularly interested by either the north or the south style of clothing.

For the research I have done already I came to know that a sarong is used for daily use. a secondary cloth worn diagonally over the chest may be used for more special occasions.

I am of course also very interested in the traditional Wedding dress which, as far as I recall, includes some metal pieces. Does anybody know the names of these pieces?

I'm eager to learn :)

Since I am just a Farang, I feel I should in no way be meddeling in any Thai politics, so I would like to know what colours/motives are worn in some political-incident-free area's ...

Maybe you should just ask your soon to be wife (assuming you are the groom). Better than starting things off on a bad note or worse wearing something that could be seen as bad luck.

Edited by Nisa

Yes just ask your future wife and if it's not her wedding then ask a Thai you will be attending with.

As far as "Thai casual dress" goes, I hope you are not one of the farangs that thinks he is Thai and will walk around your village in "Thai" clothes? The typical casual dress Thai's wear is t-shit, shorts and flip flops.

What I did was go to a photography studio (Chiang Mai), which will have a variety of styles, and picked out a Lanna style set with all necessary accessories to rent for my wedding outfit. See below for an example. Had to have help figuring out how to wear it properly though. biggrin.png

post-566-0-22860600-1344926151_thumb.jpg

Yes just ask your future wife and if it's not her wedding then ask a Thai you will be attending with.

As far as "Thai casual dress" goes, I hope you are not one of the farangs that thinks he is Thai and will walk around your village in "Thai" clothes? The typical casual dress Thai's wear is t-shit, shorts and flip flops.

No, I'm not going to marry. Nor am I, at the moment, attending any marriage / official seremony.

I will releave you of your stress. I am not going to walk around in Thailand wearing things I have no right to wear. I know how people dress these days.

The reason why I'm interested is because I genuinly like the clothing style, and I try to get to know a bit more. I'd also like to acquire it if possible. Using them would be purely for private occasions :)

The site ThaiRich gave me is solely to plan weddings ... Something I hope I'll never have to do. Yes. I am that kind of person. I am sorry. I enjoy my life with my friends.whistling.gif

Any more information? smile.png

I would. Perhaps, I will?

I am in Belgium though. I cannot just disappear for a week to go to Thailand to do some shopping. I have planned a month in thailand over newyear though.

It seems quite unstraightforward to get a decent search result out of google.

Perhaps I should even be a bit more clear. I am not looking for pants and shirts. I've attended some beautiful Thai weddings, and I'm really into that 'topless' kind of thing for men.

So you want to play dress ups with your special friends at home?

Google is hard.

Try googling traditional thai mens clothing and you will get a wealth of shopping links to the stuff you are looking for.

http://www.siam-secrets-store.com/product/mens_sarong_pa-kow-ma

http://www.thaicraftwarehouse.com/

http://www.ramthai.com/ramthai.html

http://www.siamese-style.com/ThaiStyleMensClothing/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Traditional-Thai-Yai-Thailand-Outfit-Shirt-and-Wrap-Pants-Goldenrod-sz-S-/190585660091

Necronx99, I like your assesment of the situation :)

I did google for that exact same search query.

I am sad on how google changes search results on where you come from and what you looked at before -.-

Thanks a bunch for those links. They give me already an idea :)

I would. Perhaps, I will?

I am in Belgium though. I cannot just disappear for a week to go to Thailand to do some shopping. I have planned a month in thailand over newyear though.

It seems quite unstraightforward to get a decent search result out of google.

Perhaps I should even be a bit more clear. I am not looking for pants and shirts. I've attended some beautiful Thai weddings, and I'm really into that 'topless' kind of thing for men.

Very VERY strange post. Is there any legit reason for your query?

frankly/bluntly, there is not such a thing as traditional Thai wedding dress-it mostly reflected the whealth of the bride/groom and were the best clothes in stock. Advice of tywais is quite good-and I myself really like that Lanna(=north Thai) style of clothing. In BKK-who would ever have thought that-just round the corner of Khao sarn road (Tanao road-toward wat Bovorn) there are many bridal dresses shops with all styles on show-they are tipically made on demand or sometimes hired out for the occasion. Go and have a look if BKK is your first stop.

The same more or less holds for daily clothing-in traditional way of living this mostly reflected the profession of the wearer-and was made fit for that. There may be some distinct signs/medals or the like which are/were reserved for royal or noble families.