Thinking Of Buying A Scooter, Which One Is Good?

WebBangkok

OK,

I want to buy a scooter, just so I dont have to walk to the shops or take a motorbike taxi or drive as its about 4 kms from my house.

I mean I do walk it mostly as its a bit of exercise, but I think getting a motorbike just for this trip would be ideal.

I want a new one, don't want to buy a second hand one that I will need to fix all the time.

So what would you suggest as a decent scooter for just short trips? I am no expert in scooters, they all look the same to me.

• Like 1

The Honda Airblade is a great bike for short trips like that. Feels much more solid than a Click. Much cheaper than a PCX. Not as girly as a Scoopy. Sorry, but those are the only scooters I have experience with. Except for Waves which are nice solid scooters also but a bit more work to ride.

The Honda Airblade is a great bike for short trips like that. Feels much more solid than a Click. Much cheaper than a PCX. Not as girly as a Scoopy. Sorry, but those are the only scooters I have experience with. Except for Waves which are nice solid scooters also but a bit more work to ride.

Do they even sell new airblades? I have a nuovo sx and am very happy. I recommend a rental then its a easy decission.

Do they even sell new airblades? I have a nuovo sx and am very happy. I recommend a rental then its a easy decission.

Not sure, but the OP sounded like he was looking toward a 'preowned' bike anyways. I specifically only mentioned the bikes in my household so there may be better choices out there.

Find the dealer nearest you go and sit on a few. Renting is not so easy in BKK as it is in Pattaya. Buy the one that fits best. All the jingly bits like hooks for shopping bags can be fitted later to all of them, tyres can all be replaced for better ones etc..

If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet!

If you live in north BKK go visit Brian at Sumet Cycle.

Not sure, but the OP sounded like he was looking toward a 'preowned' bike anyways. I specifically only mentioned the bikes in my household so there may be better choices out there.

no worries i think you mis-read his post where he said "i want a new one"

maintenance is easy oil change every 2k kilos and thats about iti

Edited by yankee99
  • Like 1

I just purchased new bike i tested quite a few, i was selling Suzuki hayate is i do a lot of milage and i had tube problems so upgraded to PCX 150, tubless tyre.

For you circumstances i would go for Honda Click 125, i nearly did but not tubeless. Plenty of power and step through and easy to carry some shopping. If you are near forum sponser, Sumet in BKK would advise giving him a go for purchase. Great service free bike for servicing, collection near home, driver training etc etc. And best of all Farang run. His thread has google earth coordinates in a post.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Honda_Motorcycle_Price_List

Edited by marstons

no worries i think you mis-read his post where he said "i want a new one"

maintenance is easy oil change every 2k kilos and thats about iti

Yep, I've been having a problem misreading things recently :(

I just purchased new bike i tested quite a few, i was selling Suzuki hayate is i do a lot of milage and i had tube problems so upgraded to PCX 150, tubless tyre.

For you circumstances i would go for Honda Click 125, i nearly did but not tubeless. Plenty of power and step through and easy to carry some shopping. If you are near forum sponser, Sumet in BKK would advise giving him a go for purchase. Great service free bike for servicing, collection near home, driver training etc etc. And best of all Farang run. His thread has google earth coordinates in a post.

http://www.motorcycl...ycle_Price_List

Thanks for the website

The new Honda Spacy would be a good option. It's the cheapest automatic Honda has out at the moment. If you do the regular service and oil changes you won't have any problems either. It also has a lot of under-seat storage for shopping. Best of Luck.

Brian

For shopping trips, I would definitely go for a "step through" Scooter. That kind of Scooter which has an open foot-platform.

That means, bikes like Scoopy, Spacy, Click, Fino, Mio, Filano (great underseat storage too, because this bike and the Fiore have their fuel tanks below the foot-platform.

Much better for transportation purposes, especially for bulkier items like a box of beer or water, compared with the (underbone style) bikes, like the Hayate, Nuovo, Airblade, Wave.

Edited by vel_tins
  • Like 1

You mention you do not want a second hand bike but I recommend you consider a slightly used Honda PCX 125.

They are popping up in the sale ads for around 55,000Bt , maybe less.

Why buy a secondhand PCX for 55k, when the new Click 125i has all the same gadgets (a newer engine design) and is faster for 53k new.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

For shopping trips, I would definitely go for a "step through" Scooter. That kind of Scooter which has an open foot-platform.

That means, bikes like Scoopy, Spacy, Click, Fino, Mio, Filano (great underseat storage too, because this bike and the Fiore have their fuel tanks below the foot-platform.

Much better for transportation purposes, especially for bulkier items like a box of beer or water, compared with the (underbone style) bikes, like the Hayate, Nuovo, Airblade, Wave.

well you know which ones are chick bikes ^^^^......I carry all kinds if things on my nuovo sx

well you know which ones are chick bikes

Yepp, and the Nuovo Sx is a "real men's bike" cheesy.gif

But I cannot see at which point, the OP asked, what's the most cool "real men's bike"

Rarely read such a nonsense.

I carry all kinds if things on my nuovo sx

I am pretty sure, it's no problem for you to carry 2 cartons with 12 big bottles beer each, on your Nuovo. (Or a new 120A Pickup battery..tongue.png)

But what I know: it is easy to carry them on a Fiore/whatever between your legs.

Edited by vel_tins

I've heard only good things about PCX.

But would also want to mention that there is practically NO maintenance

on scooters whatsoever, regardless how old they are.

Umm, with 1 freakin exception !! the tires !!

un-gawdly piss-poor quality or whatever the reason,

but the tires just keep getting flat from time to time,

and it is lethal if it happen on front tyre at any form of speed.

This does not happen on a big bike, the walls are so thick

you wouldn't know if you are empty air

I've heard only good things about PCX.

But would also want to mention that there is practically NO maintenance

un-gawdly piss-poor quality or whatever the reason,

but the tires just keep getting flat from time to time,

and it is lethal if it happen on front tyre at any form of speed.

This does not happen on a big bike, the walls are so thick

you wouldn't know if you are empty air

I put Gloop in the tires. I`ve never seen it for sale here but I brought some back from England last time I was there (cheapest is found on Amazon). Tyres never lose pressure and it`ll seal small punctures.

there is practically NO maintenance

**Sorry, my sleepy head skipped straight past 'practically'**

Ummm, not entirely true.

All bikes require replacement of the brake pads, oil, filter(s), bulbs, etc etc from time to time.

However on a monetary bases very little is required to keep a scooter upto scratch and within the manufactures’ warranty (not that many will ever need to claim)

Edited by karlos

there is practically NO maintenance

**Sorry, my sleepy head skipped straight past 'practically'**

Ummm, not entirely true.

All bikes require replacement of the brake pads, oil, filter(s), bulbs, etc etc from time to time.

However on a monetary bases very little is required to keep a scooter upto scratch and within the manufactures’ warranty (not that many will ever need to claim)

Seeing as how most scooters spend their lives below 80 km/h it takes a long time to rack up enough 'mileage' to worry about oil changes and brakes. Some bikes for some reason have a predisposition towards blowing out light bulbs though....

Yes they do sell the Air Blade In fact I have 1 for sale thats not quite a year old.

As you want to buy new and Honda and Yamaha both make good reliable machines I think it`ll come down to what style pleases you. I like the euro retro look of the Yammie Filano, and for your needs I think it fits the bill. There`re also lots of aftermarket parts you can add to make it look like it wouldn`t be out of place in Quadrophenia.

Yes they do sell the Air Blade In fact I have 1 for sale thats not quite a year old.

The Honda shops stopped selling AirBlades at the end of 2011, the 2012 upgraded Click replaced them. The 2012 Click has been significantly strengthened. I now have an AIrBlade and a 2012 Click, The 2012 Click beats the AIrBlade in every way.

If anyone is interested I just used my first tank of petrol in my Click 125i, idle-stop.

200km on 4 litres of gasohol 91 = 50km/litre.

Pretty good going IMHO.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

thats good news. The shops in pattaya dont seem to have any new ones.....Where in thailand do they have them?

thanks

Is it true the Airblades are built with better components than the other Honda scooters?

I was once told the Airblade is the best choice for the heavier farang riders.

Not sure about that, the only consideration to have when being a bigger farang is to have a bigger rear tire!!

The new Honda Click Automatic is good for shopping, very easy to ride, can carry a lot of shopping bags, the Forward is the best a bit more expensive but not much, Honda Wave is the biggest selling of all motor cycles in Thailand and is very good but not step through and has gears, not so good for shopping and Thai ladies to ride.

I recently bought a new scooter.

Looking at all the models I ended up with the Honda Wave 125i

My reasons were these,

1- Given a choice I will usually go Honda having had many Honda motorcycles

in my life as well as other brands the Honda's tend to have a better degree of fit & finish.

2- When looking at the Honda scooters I picked the Wave mainly because of

the taller wheels. all things being otherwise equal taller wheels will handle potholes better.

Also I was a little worried about the single shock bikes. Yes I am well aware of many mono shock

larger bikes but their placement is not to one side. This may have been a non issue but I tend to use the scooter with my

wife on the back. Neither of us are large but still I liked the double shock idea better.

3- cc size at 125 & injected

Having ridden it for a few months now I can say it is a decent scoot.

Good power & torque + exceptional gas mileage. Has nice amount of under

the seat storage & is comfortable.