Curious About Credit Card / Rewards Miles In Thailand

JoelC

Just curious about how many people in Thailand collect and use Rewards Miles through their credit cards. Do the point bonuses with most Restaurants and Hotels apply correctly, or what about those kinda cards that give bonus points for spending on groceries? I'll be returning to Thailand soon and I use lots of ways to collect rewards points for converting into FFlyer Mile points and want to see what credit cards will still be useful in Thailand like the Chase Saphire or Freedom for example. I guess any of the travel cards will work great, but those for spending onshoping will probably only apply in American stores.

I have the Platinium Amex (Thai Airways version) and the Platunum Citibank (Thai AIrways version). Excellent cards for getting airmiles with Thai AIrways. I get multiple business class trips to Europe just by my spending on these cards. If you are buying business class airmiles or upgrading on long haul, you're getting back 2.5% to 3% of the spending in the value of the airmiles.

The cards also give you access to the airport VIP lounges, travel insurance and a lot more perks. Citibank actually has more deals with discounts and installment payments than most Thai banks. Amex has begun catch up but lags behind and quite a lot of Thai establishments won't take Amex. For Citibank, you can even get 10% discounts from fast food chains like Au Bon Pain, and a suprising amount of restuarants around the city give10, 15, 20% discounts for Citibank. Amex strong points include better promotions on airmiles and extra multipliers for weekend shopping.

I have other cards, but these two are my preferred ones. Note also that international banks like Citibank are likely to give you a higher credit line.

CDB

I have the Platinium Amex (Thai Airways version) and the Platunum Citibank (Thai AIrways version). Excellent cards for getting airmiles with Thai AIrways. I get multiple business class trips to Europe just by my spending on these cards. If you are buying business class airmiles or upgrading on long haul, you're getting back 2.5% to 3% of the spending in the value of the airmiles.

The cards also give you access to the airport VIP lounges, travel insurance and a lot more perks. Citibank actually has more deals with discounts and installment payments than most Thai banks. Amex has begun catch up but lags behind and quite a lot of Thai establishments won't take Amex. For Citibank, you can even get 10% discounts from fast food chains like Au Bon Pain, and a suprising amount of restuarants around the city give10, 15, 20% discounts for Citibank. Amex strong points include better promotions on airmiles and extra multipliers for weekend shopping.

I have other cards, but these two are my preferred ones. Note also that international banks like Citibank are likely to give you a higher credit line.

CDB

The Amex Platinum card is the best. It's far superior to the Amex Paltinum Thai Airways credit card in terms of perqs and miles bonuses.

CDB

The Amex Platinum card is the best. It's far superior to the Amex Paltinum Thai Airways credit card in terms of perqs and miles bonuses.

Forgot to add the drawback is that the Amex Platinum costs 24,000 annual dues and may be tough credit check for some. The Amex Platiunm Thai Airways credit card is 4,000 baht annually and an easier credit check.

I never had any problem in getting the standard one dollar spent gives one mile applied correctly on united chase mileage plus card...BUT...beware the cards that tack on a 3% foreign service fee which the united card does...after going round and round with them i finally gave up and got a capital one card that charges no annual fee, no foreign service fee and gives you a bit of cash back or other versions give miles instead of cash back......

Always found it strange that a supposed travel card like MP visa charges you extra for using the card outside the usa...so i simply dont use it outside the usa.

One good thing with the Thai Amex card is their 5 x points at weekends, we now always do our monthly big shop on a Friday, and take advantage of their other offers, providing it's something we would do anyway.

We get the occasional email with a 1+1 dining offer, we got one this week for The Atrium at the Landmark, which we have taken advantage of already.

As a person who is living here as a retiree, so no work permit, I was surprised to be asked to apply, but I did and have taken full advantage of offers that suit.

The miles do add up, we have already had a business class trip to Hong Kong using their redeem points for miles and get a second seat free, and we have enough for a reward flight to the UK, albeit sitting up the back.

I think these cards are good providing they are properly managed.

I get around one return trip Bangkok to Singapore a ear using my thai Amex. Also if you call them they normally waive the 4000 baht per year fees ( well at least they do for me)

Problem with Amex is no on line purchasing.

CDB

I had the Amex Platinum, but dumped it long ago for the Amex Platinum Thai Airways....(much more useful for me)

also had the Citi Thai Airways Visa but exchanged it for the Citi Siam Paragon Platinum Select...(racked up points and got cash vouchers worth Baht50,000 this month)...

I also have the Central Platinum Mastercard which has been very useful with points and discounts...