Bucket Of Coins - Chiang Mai

mesquite

Does anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can take a bucket of unsorted Thai coins and get paper money in return?

I don't want to count and roll them, and yearn for a place with a machine that will count them.

The last time I talked to a bank they did not want to do it.

Edited by mesquite

1 post usefull. 2 posts useless, one post sexist.

Pot call the kettle black much ? Totally disagree. More than one way to skin a cat. Yes, he wants to count n roll coins.... may not want to donate to a wat or to have a tgf/wife or neighbor kid roll them, but hey... they're ideas ! I prefer the temple donation method myself. Or just making a point to spend the coins down for a week or so every few months as the change bowl piles up. Easy enough.

And hey, having a Thai wife roll or bag them as per krengjai, is not sexist at all. Many would be thrilled to do it. Whether one reciprocates with like or equal efforts to please/take care/ remove worry from the other is what would determine if there is some lack of equanimity.

Your warmth is contagious.

Lot of good ideas and one nut job. I prefer to put them all in a little tin every Friday night and my nephew who is a little bit on the slow side gets them. He never complains about the one baht coins.

I really liked elektrified's idea of donating them to Chedi Luang. I had no idea what all they do. I like to stop by every so often and talk with the monks in the little garden patio outside

Lotus or any big super center will take them as mentioned, they prefer that you bring them in unrolled and unsorted too so they can count themselves.

I brought in 5000 baht in 1 baht coins once in 20 baht stacks taped together, and i had to untape them for counting.

This was at Lotus in BKK.

After that i started taking exact change with me wherever i shopped, and started paying for drinks and snacks at 7-11 with loose change and it saved me money in the long run, by being able to know exactly what i was spending. Shops have less of a chance at getting you when you pay in exact change also. There use to be a guy at Kad Suan Kaew 7-11 across the street that would constantly give wrong change on purpose.

Edited by KRS1

re .. With all that money, you could by a few thousand shares of Facebook today.

very good ... very good ... made my day : )

dave2

Don't be so eager, wait a bit longer and you will get a whole lot more of this lemon. Monthly and weekly charks are heading south.

Actually--there is a place, go about halfway up the Propaklao Road leaving the market end behind you and come to a cross roads--go just right and there is an official coin counting place where they have really quaint old fashioned wooden slotted devices and they sit there and put all your 1 baht, 5 baht, 50 satang pieces into these contraptions--then give you paper money--be prepared to sit around a while though.

I can't remeber the Thai name for this place but I am sure someone more knowledgable than myself can help--if the place is still there??

Its the treasury pavilion. last I heard is that the coin counting section is being transitioned to Mae Rim. They also have a coin museum/shop there for those interested.

Actually--there is a place, go about halfway up the Propaklao Road leaving the market end behind you and come to a cross roads--go just right and there is an official coin counting place where they have really quaint old fashioned wooden slotted devices and they sit there and put all your 1 baht, 5 baht, 50 satang pieces into these contraptions--then give you paper money--be prepared to sit around a while though.

I can't remeber the Thai name for this place but I am sure someone more knowledgable than myself can help--if the place is still there??