Does Anyone Have A Fruiting Avocado Tree?

hi, i've been pretty successful at growing avocado trees from seed but i think that seed grown trees rarely produce fruit. for that, you need to graft on a cutting from a tree that does fruit (actually 2 trees, a type A and a type B). so i was hoping to find someone that would be kind enough to take a few cuttings from some known producing trees and send them to me.

thanks

i've been researching avocados a bit more and found this very interesting video

basically, he's saying in climates where it does not get cold at night, like phuket, a tree will not be able to self pollinate because the type (A or B) will become dominant and you need an A and a B to get pollination. this is not a male/female thing, its type A and B which you can only get from planing type A trees and type B trees close together.

if i don't get any luck on this forum, i'll see if i can get someone to send me some cuttings from the states.

OK, here is the real story.

Yes you do need "A" type "B" type trees for increased pollination.

Flowering habits are not determined by temperatures but by type, see chart bellow.

Most trees will self pollinate but in very small quantity; just a couple of fruit per tree.

All Guatemalan types will do well in Phuket.

The main distribution center for grafted avocado trees in Thailand is the "Pak Chong Research Station" located near Pak Chong on highway #2.

https://maps.google....665516260946278

If you are looking for more than a couple of trees, they will graft to order.

If you just want a couple of trees for your garden; before and after Pak Chong; on highway # 2 there many nurseries with grafted avocado trees for sale.

There are a number of Thai Visa members growing avocado.

Just to be clear, the reason you need "A" & "B" type flowers; the female part opens simultaneously with the male part on its opposite.

Bees, or other pollinators, traveling from male to female flowers will find them receptive to pollination !

The pictured avocado is a type A "Peterson" we just ate it yesterday !

I grow: Hass, Peterson, Fuerte, Bucaneer, Booth7 & Pollock; they are all doing well, fruiting.

Good Luck

post-14625-0-27516400-1345531383_thumb.j

post-14625-0-20053500-1345531860_thumb.j

Edited by soidog2

thanks, yes i did find a good link here

http://www.rdi.ku.ac.th/kasetresearch52/04-plant/rakkiat/avocodo.html

i ordered a few trees and will pick them up on my next trip north. they said their grafted trees should start fruiting in 2-3 years.

but i want to keep them in containers in case i move, and for better soil/drainage, i'm not sure if this will mess up the fruiting.

Don't hold your breath on 2-3 three years, not telling you what to do but unless you are planning on big containers I would wait until ready to put in the ground.

i was thinking the old plastic containers like ones they use for chemicals. about 10 gallons i think so i think that should keep the trees happy for 3-4 years. by them maybe i'll have a more permanent place for them. i know they hate waterlogged roots so its important to keep them very well drained.

he's my oldest tree growing well in the garden. this is only a couple of years old i think, started from seed. they grow really fast and nice here, no bug damage or any problems at all. even if i don't get fruit, they are good looking trees.

post-6315-0-74912100-1345782728_thumb.jp

Your seed grown tree looks good but kind of leggy.

It needs full sun and plenty nutrients, if you have access to cow manure, spread it generously in a meter or so circle without touching the trunk.

Do it every ninety days, A happy tree might surprise you and flower after 5/6 years even if grown from seed ( usual waiting is ten years +).

Your seed grown tree looks good but kind of leggy.

It needs full sun and plenty nutrients, if you have access to cow manure, spread it generously in a meter or so circle without touching the trunk.

Do it every ninety days, A happy tree might surprise you and flower after 5/6 years even if grown from seed ( usual waiting is ten years +).

i pruned it recently, that's why it looks tall and not very wide. i saw a youtube vid that pruning causes it to grow more branches, more branches means more flowers means more fruit

there's not many cows in phuket but i can get some elephant manure, i'll try that

• 3 weeks later...

Flowering habits are not determined by temperatures but by type, see chart bellow.

Most trees will self pollinate but in very small quantity; just a couple of fruit per tree.

The main distribution center for grafted avocado trees in Thailand is the "Pak Chong Research Station" located near Pak Chong on highway #2.

If you just want a couple of trees for your garden; before and after Pak Chong; on highway # 2 there many nurseries with grafted avocado trees for sale.

Just to be clear, the reason you need "A" & "B" type flowers; the female part opens simultaneously with the male part on its opposite.

Bees, or other pollinators, traveling from male to female flowers will find them receptive to pollination !

I grow: Hass, Peterson, Fuerte, Bucaneer, Booth7 & Pollock; they are all doing well, fruiting.

Good Luck

I grow about 15 different Avocado trees from seeds , bought the Avocade fruit in several shops in Singapore Tachilek, Jakarta and Thailand (Foodland and other Mars.

Potted the seed in a small flower pot in just garden soil, and wait until the first sprout appears.

It takes about 2-3 weeks for that.

You can set the seed upside down or where the stem was.

The sprouting when planting upside down gets several saplings, whilst sticking the seed in the soil where the stem was gets one or two saplings.

The reason i prefer the multible shoots is that the tree grows smaller with lower branches, and easy to reach fruits.

It takes another 4-6 month until the plant reaches a height of approx. 3 feet.

Then i break the crown off and new shoots appear.

Have had planted some trees more than 8-10 years ago, and this year only 2 trees bear fuit (or more correct Vegetables)

The type i grow i have identified as Hass and Bucaneer accoding o the chart in this blog.

Can also be Ruehle and Peterson, as i am not an expert.

This year only one tree is bearing more than 50 fruits other none or one or two round shaped A.

I have tried for some years to graft branches from other A. trees

Did scion grafting and side cutting among other methodes without success.

Had coconut fibres and hormone rooting powder added and sealed off with special Tap ging tape, bought in in a speciality shop.

I do grafting from many other fruit trees and have success, but the avocado tree is not willing to give me a branch with roots.

How do other green finger fellows fare with grafting avocadoes trees.

There is or are shops Pak Chong city in he Kaeng Khoi Muak Lek/Saraburi area who sell grafted A. saplings.

How do I get some of those plants, by mailorder or through a garden centre here in Chiang Rai?

Over to you as Bernhard Trink used to say.

Good Luck

I grow about 15 different Avocado trees from seeds , bought the Avocade fruit in several shops in Singapore Tachilek, Jakarta and Thailand (Foodland and other Mars.

Potted the seed in a small flower pot in just garden soil, and wait until the first sprout appears.

The sprouting when planting upside down gets several saplings, whilst sticking the seed in the soil where the stem was gets one or two saplings.

The reason i prefer the multible shoots is that the tree grows smaller with lower branches, and easy to reach fruits.

Have had planted some trees more than 8-10 years ago, and this year only 2 trees bear fuit (or more correct Vegetables)

The type i grow i have identified as Hass and Bucaneer accoding o the chart in this blog.

This year only one tree is bearing more than 50 fruits other none or one or two round shaped A.

Had coconut fibres and hormone rooting powder added and sealed off with special Tap ging tape, bought in in a speciality shop.

I do grafting from many other fruit trees and have success, but the avocado tree is not willing to give me a branch with roots.

There is or are shops Pak Chong city in he Kaeng Khoi Muak Lek/Saraburi area who sell grafted A. saplings.

How do I get some of those plants, by mailorder or through a garden centre here in Chiang Rai?

almost forgot to ask other membersin TV.

How to differenciate type A or B, Avocadoes trees? It's a mistery to me.

The pollunating in my garden of trees is the job of the red ants who love to build their nest on almost all trees, exept the avocado tree?

They like the nectar of the flowers but rarely be seen/found outside he flowering season on A. trees, other pests are also absent.

Maybe would be agood idea to make a coctail of cut off A. branches/leaves, and spray other plants/trees with that connoction?

I do that with my Neem leaves, drop some leaves in my homemade EM and let it set and after some weeks spray my veggies with that brew and whoops no more caterpillars are to be seen (until the rain washes the organic pesticide off again).

Good Luck

The cross-pollunating in my garden of trees is the job of the red ants who love to build their nest on almost all trees, exept the avocado tree?

They like the nectar of the flowers but rarely be seen/found outside he flowering season on A. trees, other pests are also absent.

Maybe would be agood idea to make a coctail of cut off A. branches/leaves, and spray other plants/trees with that connoction?

I do that with my Neem leaves, drop some leaves in my homemade EM and let it set and after some weeks spray my veggies with that brew and whoops no more caterpillars are to be seen (until the rain washes the organic pesticide off again).

Good Luck

The pollunating in my garden of trees is the job of the red ants who love to build their nest on almost all trees, exept the avocado tree?

one more thing, there is alady at the Kasetsart Horticulture station in Chiang Rai, she is my teacher in plant /mushroom growing matters.

i gave her some 10 years ago two small potted Avocado trees whose I had grown from seeds.

She planted them side by side in her research garden, not far away from her mushroom growing sheds.

I followed up on the growing of those trees as I had the same kind, I guess Hass, she had a fruiting season some 7 years after planting the saplings.

My saplings had beautiful trees, BUT no fruits.

Just last week I visited her with my family, and WHOW,

one tree got uprooted by a big storm, the other I could not believe my eyes bears about countless fruits, more of the round kind (guess Hass).

Must be about 500 A. hanging on that tree, most are smallish but one must wait until the rainy season ends, than take down some fruits, and knock them on a hard surface several times until the seed can be heard rolling inside.

than wait fore some days and can be eaten (as Guacamole as i dis in Mexico)

or I eat them with Maggi seasoning or soysauce, my boy loves them.

i buy sometimes he A, in the Doi Cham shop at the Central, or when I transverse hrough Bangkok @ the foodland for 60 baht a pc.

Rather expensive.

I only know 3 location aroung CR where A. grow and bear fruit.

• 2 months later...

Some quick answers:

Avocado cuttings are extremely difficult to root, not worth the trouble.

Whip grafting is most successful in young plants.

Observe opening time for the male & female parts to determine type.

On "A" types females open in the morning; "B" type in the afternoon.

The same flower opens as both male & female.

"An individual avocado flower goes through two stages. When it opens in stage I, the pistil is receptive, and pollination and fertilization can occur. The flower closes after stage I and opens again in stage II when the anthers dehisce. Avocado cultivars fit into these two general types according to the time of day their flowers are in different stages. The flowers of type A cultivar are in stage I in the morning of the first day and stage II in the afternoon of the following day, so that the flower’s opening cycle lasts about 36 hours. Type B cultivar are in stage I in the afternoon of the first day and stage II in the morning of the following day. The flower opening cycle lasts about 20 hours"

"Although ants were permanently on the flowers, they appeared less effective as pollinators as they rarely came into contact with the anthers and stigma of the flower. They were also observed to deter other would-be effective pollinators from visiting the flowers due to their intimidating large numbers. The ants deplete the nectar from flowers, therefore making other visitors spend very little time on flowers. Farmers should thus be advised to band their Avocado trees with appropriate chemicals to deter the ants"

Hope this clears it a little

post-14625-0-43958300-1354674394_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

i did find a garden with some mature (10-12 year old) trees that have started fruiting, locally, here in phuket. i will try the whip graft on to some of my grown from seed baby trees.

i have no problem getting the seeds to grow, i just soak in water until they split then plant in potting soil, and a few weeks later, i have a small tree coming up. very easy.