Air Asia Ticket Office At Chiang Mai Airport

PostmanPat

Amazing Thailand!! Was at the Air Asia Ticket Office in the airport at lunchtime today, there was a queue of more than half a dozen people, and behind the counter there are two customer points. One was open, the other had a sign up, "desk closed" BUT, there was a member of staff sitting there playing with her phone and taking absolutely no notice of the fact that half a dozen people had been queuing for more than 30 minutes, due to the fact that the first in the line had a complex booking to make (not her fault at all!).

Myself and a German Tourist who was right behind me politely suggested that perhaps in view of the time we were all waiting, the second desk should really be open....customer service and all that, at which point the young woman simply said....."this desk closed. Cant you read?.....open 2pm!!" ( it was 1.45 and six people had already been waiting over 30 minutes!!). As a result of the people in the queue showing their justifiable but polite frustration at this rude answer , guess what happened next?

The member of staff in question got on the phone to "Air Asia Security" and a couple of blokes turned up to police the annoyed crowd, not as I might have expected, to open the second desk!!! These two guys actually stood next to us in quite an intimidating way until the clock ticked down to 2pm, at which point, said rude young lady opens her desk with a haughty "next...." !!

One of the most bizarre situations I have ever witnessed in a travel environment. It was as though the security came along to defend her right to sit there doing nothing for another 15 minutes!! I m sure that had any of us raised our voice, we would have been arrested, while the Air Asia desk remained closed!!!

Air Asia. Use them at your peril!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be new here. Welcome to Thailand! (and the air travel industry in general).

-Mestizo

Not new. Seven years. Normally use Goodman Travel, very excellent service, but you can only book Air Asia at an Air Asia desk or online, and mine was a query on an existing booking hence Airport visit!!

Maybe she was on her lunch break and had no where to go in the Airport so she sat at her desk .

There is an office/ recreation area right behind the front desk. You can see it, and staff coming in and out. Fair enough if shes on lunch and nobody else to cover, but dont sit at the front desk in full view playing with your phone!!!

Maybe she was on her lunch break and had no where to go in the Airport so she sat at her desk .

There is an office/ recreation area right behind the front desk. You can see it, and staff coming in and out. Fair enough if shes on lunch and nobody else to cover, but dont sit at the front desk in full view playing with your phone!!!

I hate AirAsia counter staff they are the most un-professional and rude people I have ever come across. I made the mistake of using Airasia to fly to Jakarta. Learnt my lesson, never again!!!!!!!!!!

Not that it matters, but has anyone ever sent a note to Air Asia corporate? I would imagine, though I could very well be wrong, that they might like to hear about such things. I mean, they DO have counters in other countries that require a certain level of service for that clientele.

Herein lies a inherent problem with "customer service" as perceived by Asians, particularly Thai's.

We farang's should realise that Thai AA staff are probably paid little more than a basic wage. They have 'break times' ... same same as Immigration :) and NO incentive to break from rules just because there's a queue. bah.gif

CNX Immi 90 day reporting officer regularly works 30+ mins into his lunchtime .... there are exceptions to the norm

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but we have a couple of return flight tickets to Phuket for the end of this month.

Unfortunately we are unable to go, but a few people have requested the tickets from us; shouldnt be a problem, just a name change....surely.

WRONG....went into the AA office at Thapae, to find out the cost to change the name. They do not allow, no transfer of name.....but if we want we can change the date!!!!!

The girly quite rightly as frustrated as me, says she cannot understand AA, they are potentially alinating 2 new customers/future customers and losing us two at the same time.

ok they have their money, they also now have 2 empty seats,

Personally I stopped using AA a while ago, simply becasue Bangkok Air have that fantastic little food and coffee lounge to pig out in!

Slightly off topic, but we have a couple of return flight tickets to Phuket for the end of this month.

Unfortunately we are unable to go, but a few people have requested the tickets from us; shouldnt be a problem, just a name change....surely.

WRONG....went into the AA office at Thapae, to find out the cost to change the name. They do not allow, no transfer of name.....but if we want we can change the date!!!!!

The girly quite rightly as frustrated as me, says she cannot understand AA, they are potentially alinating 2 new customers/future customers and losing us two at the same time.

Personally I stopped using AA a while ago, simply becasue Bangkok Air have that fantastic little food and coffee lounge to pig out in!

I'll not defend AA or any LCC as such, but from a business perspective it makes sense to NOT permit name-change. Otherwise a 'Black Market' would emerge ... like 'scalpers', buying advance/cheap tickets and on-selling.

Edited by kaptainrob

Herein lies a inherent problem with "customer service" as perceived by Asians, particularly Thai's.

We farang's should realise that Thai AA staff are probably paid little more than a basic wage. They have 'break times' ... same same as Immigration smile.png and NO incentive to break from rules just because there's a queue. bah.gif

CNX Immi 90 day reporting officer regularly works 30+ mins into his lunchtime .... there are exceptions to the norm

Agree with all you say here, but what was really bizarre was the fact that the counter assistant seemed to think it was OK just to sit at the front counter playing with her phone while a large queue built up for her colleague to deal with, then got support from security who came and stood by us while we all watched her sitting there running down the last 15 minutes to 2pm. Wouldnt you think she would have disappeared inside the office where we couldnt see her, or maybe she enjoyed goading us!! It was very weird, six customers and three security people simply staring at her for 15 minutes as she sat there doing nothing!!!

If she is on a break she is on a break.

It is however highly unprofessional to sit at the main desk on that break. Even worse is using a personal phone at the main desk on a break... it is like a bank teller rolling out a picnic at their window/desk (I wouldn't be surprised to see this though ;)).

We farang's should realise that Thai AA staff are probably paid little more than a basic wage. They have 'break times' ... same same as Immigration smile.png and NO incentive to break from rules just because there's a queue. bah.gif

Agree with all you say here, but what was really bizarre was the fact that the counter assistant seemed to think it was OK just to sit at the front counter playing with her phone while a large queue built up for her colleague to deal with, then got support from security who came and stood by us while we all watched her sitting there running down the last 15 minutes to 2pm. Wouldnt you think she would have disappeared inside the office where we couldnt see her, or maybe she enjoyed goading us!! It was very weird, six customers and three security people simply staring at her for 15 minutes as she sat there doing nothing!!!

Seen it before, not just in Thailand, but I agree it is very very poor form. Conversely ...

... I have lived in BKK, Phuket, and Ubon Ratchathani. Having dealt with Home Improvement stores in all the above AND now Chiang Mai .... CM rocks! Especially HomePro and Global House, Mae Hia/Hang Dong. Superb service!

We had exactly the same situation at AA desk in CNX last month,,, one person "working" and the other sitting behind a closed desk doing even less, despite the long queue. We were next in line, but after 20-30 minutes waiting, my thai gf tried to get her to open the second window, because a flight was about to depart, but it was a waste of breath (oooh there's a surprise).....and the response to a polite request was downright rude. The upshot was we had to wait 4 hours in CNX until the next available seat on Bangkok Air. gf hates AA at the best of times, and I agree.... From now on I will do all I can to avoid using them.... they are like Ryanair, but without the charm and the customer-centred ethos....wink.png

This type of thing happens to me all the time in 7/11.

Air Asia are great! no frills, I like it. Buy your flight, be on time for your flight, know your flight, check into your flight, board your flight..pbai Lai!

The desk is closed, not opening for another 15 min, end of story :D

I love Thailand

Edited by HansBlinkers

If she is not due to work until 2pm its silly place to sit until your job starts. She may have been working the 2pm to 9pm shift or whatever but do people expect her to work for free because they booked on the cheapest airline at the airport and they dont like queing? Whilst waiting to be served they may have noticed the much bigger TG ticket desk with many more staff ready to help their customers. The TG ticket costs more although they also have cheap deals as do Bangkok Air. Not that much more than Air Asia's price if you book in advance.

Approaching any kind of counter in Thailand is a crapshoot. You could end up richer, poorer, incarcerated, married, bemused, frustrated, better informed, worse for the wear, long in the tooth, morally broken, sexually aroused, weighed down with worry, lightened by relief.

"Approaching any kind of counter in Thailand is a crapshoot"

Or perhaps a 'crap-chute', since that's what they often hand you, or a 'khrap-chute', when they are polite to you ! rolleyes.gif

Nok Air is our preferred domestic carrier. As pointed out above, excellent check-in facilities and onboard snack, FREE. 55 Best of all, they're often cheaper than AA and Nok's online booking system is far quicker ... actually user-friendly!!!

We still use AAX for International and last March via KL to NZ and Aus all staff (outside Thailand) were exceptionally polite... seems AAX have lifted their act. Wonder what to expect of AAX/Don Muang in November ... could be interesting.

The office at Thapae Gate is NOT an AA office, it is a private company that has no relationship with AA other than they want the public to think they are an AA office. I know this because I booked flights through them thinking they were an AA office, when it came to refund time for an AA cancelled flight the AA office at the airport gave me the heads up and as a result I had to wait two months for my money. Also, if you use the Thapae Gate AA look alike office and pay using an overseas credit card their charges are sky high and not advertised anywhere.

I think if I had been subjected to this that I would have made a video of the situation with my own phone. Capture the counter person idling her time and a slow pan to show the queue of waiting customers. Do this same shot over the course of the wait with a clock showing the time elapsed. Then post it on YouTube and send the link for my video straight to Air Asia's corporate headquarters.

Edited by Rice_King

I think if I had been subjected to this that I would have made a video of the situation with my own phone. Capture the counter person idling her time and a slow pan to show the queue of waiting customers. Do this same shot over the course of the wait with a clock showing the time elapsed. Then send the video straight to Air Asia's corporate headquarters and also post it on YouTube.

Maybe Tony Fernandez is a regular on Thai Visa? biggrin.png