Bbq Smoking Woods

jagi00

Sorry, can't help you with local wood. However, if you cant find anything decent, they do sell various types of wood chips in the BBQ section of HomePro at a reasonable price. Being Texan, I usually opt for the mesquite chips. Pre-soaked in a bowl of warm water, they provide an very good smoked mesquite taste.

-Mestizo

Use longan ("lam yai" in Thai) they are locally available and it's a kind sweet fruit wood. I use longan charcoal for my weber all the time. You can buy apple wood chips etc from the BBQ store or Rimping. I think it's been proved that pre-soaked wood chips is a myth. You don't have to soak them.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Use longan ("lam yai" in Thai) they are locally available and it's a kind sweet fruit wood. I use longan charcoal for my weber all the time. You can buy apple wood chips etc from the BBQ store or Rimping. I think it's been proved that pre-soaked wood chips is a myth. You don't have to soak them.

I've always wondered about the soaking thing. Sure would like to see some concrete proof, tho. Soaking is the way I was always taught to do it, so I'l most likely continue until I see it BUSTED on an episode of MythBusters thumbsup.gif

What are your thoughts about wrapping wood chips in a foil packet with holes in the top? The supposed theory behind it is that it prevents the wood from catching fire and allows it to just smolder & smoke.

-Mestizo

I'm no expert and I used to soak my expensive imported apple chips overnight. Until I've seen it on some show recently that soaking wood chips overnight is a myth as wood doesn't absorb much water anyway. Regarding making the smoke pouch I do it just like you do. I couldn't remember where I've seen the show but here's an interesting link http://amazingribs.c...aking_wood.html

Happy BBQing

I've always wondered about the soaking thing. Sure would like to see some concrete proof, tho. Soaking is the way I was always taught to do it, so I'l most likely continue until I see it BUSTED on an episode of MythBusters thumbsup.gif

What are your thoughts about wrapping wood chips in a foil packet with holes in the top? The supposed theory behind it is that it prevents the wood from catching fire and allows it to just smolder & smoke.

-Mestizo

Edited by ARISTIDE

Soaking chips is a myth apart from slowing it down slightly. However onc the water evaportes they will burn normally. The only reason to soak a portion of your chips would be to stack a bunch in your smoke box some soaked and some not so that you would get a longer smoke. However, putting a few chips or one large chunk at a time and refilling is the best option.

I take a small metal box and poke some holes in it to help with airflow. Do not fill with a lot of chips. A small handful at a time.

Pure mesquite is very bitter,

As for local woods, longan as suggested is a very nice smoke. The others that I recommend are lychee(perfect for pork), champoo, and jack fruit (actually similar to oak), my favorite but hard to find is maprang(don't know english name)

Make sure that you have top vents open. Do not try and get big clouds of white smoke that is going to ruin your meat.

Avoid mango as it is toxic, as is any pine, or cyprus.

Keeping temperatures low and having indirect heat is important to prevent flare ups and over char.

I would suggest using some cheap cuts or chicken a few times to practice. Getting the right blend of air current and smoke is crucial. You dont' want to eat a 400 baht steak that tastes like a ciggarette ash tray.

Too much smoke is common result for the inexperienced.

Hey thanks for the ideas, it would be great to find some lychee wood for some brined pork chops. I didn't know mango is toxic good thing I've never tried. I think Mesquite is available somewhere but wonder who would use them. It was mention in the Dr. BBQ's book related mesquite to the smell of the devil's ass crack!

Pure mesquite is very bitter,

As for local woods, longan as suggested is a very nice smoke. The others that I recommend are lychee(perfect for pork), champoo, and jack fruit (actually similar to oak), my favorite but hard to find is maprang(don't know english name)

Make sure that you have top vents open. Do not try and get big clouds of white smoke that is going to ruin your meat.

Avoid mango as it is toxic, as is any pine, or cyprus.

Keeping temperatures low and having indirect heat is important to prevent flare ups and over char.

I would suggest using some cheap cuts or chicken a few times to practice. Getting the right blend of air current and smoke is crucial. You dont' want to eat a 400 baht steak that tastes like a ciggarette ash tray.

Too much smoke is common result for the inexperienced.

I'm not a smoker, but have to congratulate on your receipt of the King of BBQ's. I f'ing love my Weber and use it several times a week.

Yep, I really enjoy using the Weber. I have the Performer Touch 'n Go which uses a gas canister to light the charcoal however the cans don't seem to be available here. I'm now trying to find some fittings locally to modify it and hook up to a regular cylinder but it's not a show stopper as I just use local lump charcoal to light the brickettes if I'm going to do a long cook.

Thanks to all for the local wood hints - the mother in law is bringing some lychee wood tomorrow.

Barbecues Galor / BBQ Thai on the canal rd , near Ton Payom market has a good range of smoking chips and accessories. I've also seen them at Rim Ping Meechok recently. All imported but still reasonably priced.

Barbeques Galor / BBQ Thai sounds like a place I need to find. I am not familiar with that area or Ton Payom market so can you provide a little more directions? Canal road OK. Left or right side? About how far out? I have been looking for a decent BBQ for a while now but I am not about to pay the huge prices for the gas-fired ones at Rinping Meechok. Something like a standard Weber would be great.

• Like 1

Barbecues Galor / BBQ Thai on the canal rd , near Ton Payom market has a good range of smoking chips and accessories. I've also seen them at Rim Ping Meechok recently. All imported but still reasonably priced.

Barbeques Galor / BBQ Thai sounds like a place I need to find. I am not familiar with that area or Ton Payom market so can you provide a little more directions? Canal road OK. Left or right side? About how far out? I have been looking for a decent BBQ for a while now but I am not about to pay the huge prices for the gas-fired ones at Rinping Meechok. Something like a standard Weber would be great.

They are imports, so not cheaper than Rim Ping, they are the real deal however. Had by beef master for 8 years now, still as good as the day I got it, so good value in that sense.

Here's the map. http://www.bbqthai.com/map.htm

I tried the longan wood last night for a quick grill & smoke - the results were quite good so I'll try it on a long, slow cook next time. Coconut shells are on order from the mum-in-law so looking forward to trying them too.

Thanks again fo all the tips.