Most Visa-Friendly (And Not) Asian Gov'T

factors I consider in order of my priorities, in descending order...

- can get outside country of residency, length of stay, fee, renewability, speed, multiple entries, simple rules, number of questions, how many originals, whether photo require, can use agent (option only). Some national governments are good for length of stay (e.g. India - 6 months) but are slow (India requires a security check in nation of citizenship). Others, e.g. Cambodia, are practically eternal but are annoying in rules (if you enter on a tourist visa can only renew once, and that for a minimum of 3 months?) China requires you go in Vietnam anyway to the NON-capital city of HCMC. So, there is no perfect visa nation. I'm going to guess best is Malaysia and worst is North Korea. Comments?

What is your nationality? That will make a difference.

I meant in general, for Anglo nation passport holders (Aussies, Brits, Americans etc) . I carry a Canadian passport. I am looking to see which nations have the most open door policy.

Edited by hermespan

You are correct. Best Malaysia but I understand Canadians and UK can (possible) to get 5 year visa for India which would allow you to roam somewhat freely. You need to stay out now a few months between your stays.

Lao and Vietnam are also straightforward, but only one month so you must come and go. Cambodia as you know well also provides long term visas. With bribes and paperwork you can live in Indonesia as well. I understand from an expat that it is a monumental hassle (he lives in Bali). Philippines is a cesspool but you can stay up to two years w/o leaving - but, I am sure the visas are so expensive now as to be simply stupid.

You can extend your visa in Myanmar 1x w/o reason and many times studying meditation or religion.

Korea many westerners get 90 days. It is boring and xeno/jingoist place. Not likely to land a GF but hey, I had one. You could teach, but schools are thieves. Its cold and the people dishonest toward foreigners although its MUCH better.

Japan, despite bland food, I think I would like it. Women are lovely and they are very cultured people with a great history. Crazy expensive.

Have you looked at Palau or Micronesia??

• 2 weeks later...

@hermespan That's pretty true. For Vietnam, multiple renewals of 3-month multiple entry visas (officially designated as B-3 business visas but can be obtained without any supporting documentation) are very straightforward and I have obtained so many 3-month multiple entry visas in my passport(s) in the past 2 years yet unlike Thailand, the Vietnamese government is happy for me to continue renewing my visa and/or obtaining a new one with no questions asked.

I don't require a visa for Laos, although I would need to exit every 15 days to stay legal. However, Laos has no problem with this from what I've heard, though it does sound like a hassle, unless you live in a border city such as Vientiane, Savannakhet, Tha Khaek or even Pakse (43km from the Thai border) and use the 15 day rule as an excuse to go shopping in Thailand every 2 weeks or so. Although having said that, given you can easily obtain a work visa or some other visa to tie you over, few foreigners in Laos would put themselves into that situation.

Cambodia is easy as you just pay up and you shall receive.

I agree that Malaysia is one of the best. 90 days for Australian, other Commonwealth and some other countries, but only 30 days for Thais.