Good English Girl Marrying Good Thai Boy Need Advice! And A Sympathetic Ear!

imlee

apoligies if repeated info, but between farang girls and thai ones i hope that a few questions can be answered...

I get married to a beautiful boy in about 3 and a hlf months or less now(!) and find it very hard to get info on legalities after marriage as most info i read is about farang boys and thai girls:

if i take my husbands name and we do everything properly register to the amphur office and go via the embassy to affirm that i am not previously married, what happens in regard to:

1) making of work permits and visas post marriage? as i am to beleive in thai culture it is my husbands respobility to take care of me financially

2) do i take on a naturalised thai identity as I then will have his nam sukon, surname?

3) i believe that we could open a family business and that the payments received by the gov in terms of tax and stuff would be the same as if we were both actually of thai nationality is this true?

4) what do the thai gov say about dual citizenship? i know that the english gov will still consider me to be brit citizen but they require i check that the gov of the country i am marrying into doesn't mind and does not require me to choose one over the other....and if so does this mean that i cannot take Lam's surname?

5) how do i affirm that i have been previously married? and does this have to be done before the wedding?

6) in my good understanding of thai culture i still wonder what things i am still clueless about in regard to the responsibilites of a good wife? not asking you to know my knowledge but most important traits and weirdities explained would be welcomed.

7) thai marriage laws and females rights/responsibilities and those of the male? this is a long one but hard to get info on, like i know as a woman it would take me two years to apply for divorce and that a male is not considered as adulterous and divorcable until he treats an amorous affair with equality to his wife............trying not to look at divorce here but info found has all been on the negative, boys all over the place seemed to have picked the wrong partner, it happens, and say that you must have a prenup, i would just like to be prepared on the laws of a country i do not as yet belong to.

8) do i as having thai name therefore become able to put names on everything house, land and company in equal names? 50/50? i believe that a thai female loses her right to buy land and property once she has married a farang boy.

sorry for it's lengthy-ness but first time i've posed all questions to somewhere that may be able to give me all answers. we want to the best thing by both of us and our future family so need to know where we stand before informing the gov of anything!!

we have also sent Lam's father to talk to the amphur office but would just like to ask others who may have gone there already and aren't a governmental source.

thank you.

I get married to a beautiful boy in about 3 and a hlf months or less now(!) and find it very hard to get info on legalities after marriage as most info i read is about farang boys and thai girls:

Congratulations, I hope you have many happy years together :o

if i take my husbands name and we do everything properly register to the amphur office and go via the embassy to affirm that i am not previously married, what happens in regard to:

1) making of work permits and visas post marriage? as i am to beleive in thai culture it is my husbands respobility to take care of me financially

4) what do the thai gov say about dual citizenship? i know that the english gov will still consider me to be brit citizen but they require i check that the gov of the country i am marrying into doesn't mind and does not require me to choose one over the other....and if so does this mean that i cannot take Lam's surname?

2) do i take on a naturalised thai identity as I then will have his nam sukon, surname?

Although your husband is responsible for you under thai law, you are not entitles to thai citizenship straight away. It is easier for farang women married to thai men to get it but it is very confusing & hard to process (ask SBK, 16 years married & still no one can tell her how to do it)

You will still need to get a visa but will be entitled to a non immigrant O due to marriage & unlike farang men, will not need to provide proof of income. I got mine by taking my marriage certificates & translations to the thai embassy in malaysia.

The British government accepts duel nationality between the Uk & Thailand but again, you have to get thai citizenship first for this to apply.

Once married & without the need for citizenshiup, you can take your husbands surname, I took mine & we both retain our own citizenship.

I believe that we could open a family business and that the payments received by the gov in terms of tax and stuff would be the same as if we were both actually of thai nationality is this true?

No idea, sorry

5) how do i affirm that i have been previously married? and does this have to be done before the wedding?

Check out the British embassy website & the affirmation of freedom to marry, you will not get a marriage license without this paperwork & will need to get it stamped from the ministry of foreign affairs. The brit website will tell you what to do.

6) in my good understanding of thai culture i still wonder what things i am still clueless about in regard to the responsibilites of a good wife? not asking you to know my knowledge but most important traits and weirdities explained would be welcomed.

I would suppose your husband is marrying you for your own traits & weirdnesses :D so don't be too concerned as I assume you know each other well enough to have passed this problem.

7) thai marriage laws and females rights/responsibilities and those of the male? this is a long one but hard to get info on, like i know as a woman it would take me two years to apply for divorce and that a male is not considered as adulterous and divorcable until he treats an amorous affair with equality to his wife............trying not to look at divorce here but info found has all been on the negative, boys all over the place seemed to have picked the wrong partner, it happens, and say that you must have a prenup, i would just like to be prepared on the laws of a country i do not as yet belong to.

Divorce is quite easy in Thialand providing both agree, the same amphur that married you will divorce you if you both agree, oftherwise I think the same laws apply as the UK, a period of serperation is needed before a contested divorce can be granted. If unsure, ask a lawyer first of your rights.

8) do i as having thai name therefore become able to put names on everything house, land and company in equal names? 50/50? i believe that a thai female loses her right to buy land and property once she has married a farang boy.

No, again, until you have citizenship you cannot have land in your name & must have a company same as every farang. The law about thai wives not able to own land no longer applies.

sorry for it's lengthy-ness but first time i've posed all questions to somewhere that may be able to give me all answers. we want to the best thing by both of us and our future family so need to know where we stand before informing the gov of anything!!

Thats ok, a lot of us have been in the same situation with marrying in Thailand.

Feel free to post anytime. :D

boo thank you muchly. true to be said he is marrying me because i am piset le gore mai pokity leuy! and him the same.

does that mean with non-imm o visa i still require work permits same as i would if not married, and pay the same?

if anyone can answer further in regard to affirmation of freedom to marry, as i have checked embassy site and it doesnt actually tell me how i prove it if i have not previously been married(as i can then provide divorce papers or death cert) then i shall be very grateful.

any other info would be grand, nice to get real info rather than the 'it's a sham and he's taking you for a ride' answer that i got in the bangkok post forum from some very disgruntled farang boy....no wonder his posting name was ian beale!

ouyt of interest is there any farange girl out there who got married in issan? if so i've been trying to research trad weddings as i want to try to keep things as 'normal' as poss (for want of a better word you understand). cheers.

Guidelines for marriage in Thailand

This document has a never been married option as you can see on the below attachment.

you will still need a work permit, being married doesn't give you much extra rights rearging immigration matters except the non O visa entitlement as far as I can see. residency is the way to go, but as said, bloody hard to find someone who knows. But we do know that it is the police who process the citizenship & not immigration.

Some one recently was in the issan forum asking about traditional wedding dresses & Khon Kaen customs, have a look in this forum too as I think she posted in here too. :o

affirmation.pdf

Congrats and good luck! Welcome to the forum.

OK WP issues: I was told by the local Immigration office that I was allowed to "help" my husband in his business. The business is licensed in his name only, he is the clear owner. Any work in an outside job would require a work permit.

Visa: once you get the non-imm O visa from Penang then, at the end of the 90 day period, go to your local Immigration office and apply for a one year extension--with your husband in hand. They will give you a list of docs they require--ie marriage license, etc etc. There is no income requirement on his part but it does help to show that he has some--we show his business license and photocopies of our bank book, showing that we have income. Again, it is not required but it certainly must help things along. Check with your immigration or search previous ladies forum posts by me listing all docs required. (as I am lazy to type it again and have the cat on my lap making extensive typing difficult). :o

ok have done as said and posted on issan thread but have a question or two left:

dowry....quick version me and boyf are paying as much money as we can get together between us as parents have not so much and still have very young son at home, BUT i want to know about the dowry understand it is usually paid and stuff but for what reason? like to keep things normal and to cover our asses on some money after the wedding is it better for me to have one, however little?

2) what about clothing requirements of guests, i've just said conservative and we are going to the wat not having monks coming to the house so have said conservative, no heaving cleavages, short skirts and that sort of thing but don't know really - anything about colours and stuff?

3)do i have to have white/cream wedding dress (western style one) as think it's a little bit of a lie (the whole virginal thing) and wouldn't do it in england but then i'm not so want to know.

cheers.

If you are having a wedding with your family attending than you can receive the sin sod if you want, don't really think it is required. Bear in mind that the Sin sod is paid from the groom to the bride, not the other way round. So, if I were you, I wouldn't really bother (I didn't receive one but then we didn't have a wedding either).

If you prefer you can wear a traditional Thai wedding dress (easily rented, your future mother-in-law would know where to go, also there are places in most major towns--easily spotted by the dresses in the window!)

dress6th.jpg