Yuan Tipped To Replace U.S. Dollar, Euro In Southeast Asia

Sorry, but can't agree with you. Giving the Chinese a chance could have drastic repercussions. Using that logic, why not try Russian Rubles or the Thai Baht?

As for debt, here's a good source of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

As of January 2011, foreigners owned $4.45 trillion of U.S. debt, or approximately 47% of the debt held by the public of $9.49 trillion and 32% of the total debt of $14.1 trillion.[62] The largest holders were the central banks of China, Japan, Brazil, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Switzerland and Russia.[64] The share held by foreign governments has grown over time, rising from 13% of the public debt in 1988[65] to 25% in 2007.[66]

As of May 2011 the largest single holder of U.S. government debt was China, with 26 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities (8% of total U.S. public debt).[67] China's holdings of government debt, as a percentage of all foreign-held government debt, have decreased a bit between 2010 and 2011, but are up significantly since 2000 (when China held just 6 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities).[68]

China is not the biggest holder of US debt. The US government and it's citizens are.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any currency is going to be strongly used in southeast asia for trade it will be the Thai baht. If you have read many of my posts you will know I am a firm believer that Thailand will have the currency most attractive for this. This will even become more desirable for other asian nations in the near future to maintain trade. Trade within Asian ciuntries will become necessary because of world economic crises. Asia will localize and use the Thai baht as the currency for trade.

lol - you really made my day with that statement but I agree Thailand is an attractive cuntry.

If any currency is going to be strongly used in southeast asia for trade it will be the Thai baht. If you have read many of my posts you will know I am a firm believer that Thailand will have the currency most attractive for this. This will even become more desirable for other asian nations in the near future to maintain trade. Trade within Asian ciuntries will become necessary because of world economic crises. Asia will localize and use the Thai baht as the currency for trade.

great idea ....... and with the Shinawatra family members for the top jobs in the Thai FED; sorry: TCEN = Thai Central Reserve System clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry, but can't agree with you. Giving the Chinese a chance could have drastic repercussions. Using that logic, why not try Russian Rubles or the Thai Baht?

As for debt, here's a good source of info:

http://en.wikipedia....tes_public_debt

As of January 2011, foreigners owned $4.45 trillion of U.S. debt, or approximately 47% of the debt held by the public of $9.49 trillion and 32% of the total debt of $14.1 trillion.[62] The largest holders were the central banks of China, Japan, Brazil, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Switzerland and Russia.[64] The share held by foreign governments has grown over time, rising from 13% of the public debt in 1988[65] to 25% in 2007.[66]

As of May 2011 the largest single holder of U.S. government debt was China, with 26 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities (8% of total U.S. public debt).[67] China's holdings of government debt, as a percentage of all foreign-held government debt, have decreased a bit between 2010 and 2011, but are up significantly since 2000 (when China held just 6 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities).[68]

China is not the biggest holder of US debt. The US government and it's citizens are.

Your Wiki is a little bit outdated - Jan. 2011. My table (FED !) is of June 2012. But your quote is very usefull. By comparing you can see the pace of debt increasing.

That you would like to stay with the USD is understandable. I wouldn't like to lose the EUR. This wish is dominated by our feeling. But our intelligence should tell you and me the credibility in these currencies has been gambled away by myopic politicians and banksters.

Never forget, the FED is a private institution laugh.png - directed (and manupulated) by US banks. The (private ) rating agencies are nothing but bank's gofers or lackeys. In this respect there is no big difference to the Thai system: money first (for the banks and banksters) and not for the people's interest. There are numerous examples to improve this.

The US government and the US citizens are the majority owners of the state bonds, correct. Imagine, once they lose the value because the US are not able to repay and nowbody wants them any more? Cheap toilet tissue!

Please explain to me, how would the Chinese "repercussions" look like??

• Like 1

Actually, I could care less whether it's the Yuan, USD, Euro or whatever. As long as it doesn't effect me financially. Just doesn't matter.

The Fed does scare me. As does the ineptness of the US political system.

Chinese repercussions? Well, if the Yuan was the currency of choice today, I'd guess the repercussions of the current global financial mess would be much worse. Just my humble opinion.wai.gif

Everyone hold hedge against these movements and just do what is best for yourself

The nationalistic feelings are understandable but of no use of your currency is the one getting hammered .

Incidentally gold has gone up by about 50 bucks this week to $1690 today

Still the old saying diversify .....

Incidentally gold has gone up by about 50 bucks this week to $1690 today

it's all a matter of perspective. Gold went up 5% last 4 weeks in Dollar terms, Dollar lost 5% vs EUR last 4 weeks. a zero sum game for somebody who "thinks" in EUR but for the same guy less loss if he bought Gold a year ago.

It will never ever happen except maybe on Red TV.

It will happen and when it does remember you heard it here first. Oh and what is Red TV?

It will happen and when it does remember you heard it here first. Oh and what is Red TV?

what about stating some facts why THB will be used? and are you trying to tell us that presently Asian countries do not trade with each other?

When I see teenagers in the USA and Europe dying their hair black, having surgical proceedures to slant their eyes and flatten their noses to appear asian, then yes, i will agree that the Yuan will soon be the worlds new reserve currency.

But I'm not seeing that just yet :)

what about stating some facts why THB will be used? and are you trying to tell us that presently Asian countries do not trade with each other?

Thanks for the questions Naam. I shall try to answer each one in order of their asking position.

I feel to give facts opens discussion for arguement. I donot wish to defend the Thai baht becoming the currency of choice in Asia . I will simply state, many people here appear to be able to find facts to support their popular ideas,so let these same people research the reality of why Thailand is ripe to take this position .

Second question is yes Asian nations do trade . With Europe and the rest of the world in their financial crises,Asia will be forced to do the largest portion of their trade in Asia.While doing this they will want a common strong currency to use. The Thai baht is their only choice.

Thanks for the questions Naam. I shall try to answer each one in order of their asking position.

I feel to give facts opens discussion for arguement. I donot wish to defend the Thai baht becoming the currency of choice in Asia . I will simply state, many people here appear to be able to find facts to support their popular ideas,so let these same people research the reality of why Thailand is ripe to take this position .

Second question is yes Asian nations do trade . With Europe and the rest of the world in their financial crises,Asia will be forced to do the largest portion of their trade in Asia.While doing this they will want a common strong currency to use. The Thai baht is their only choice.

i hope you don't mind that i [not so] humbly beg to differ? wink.png

Well, he might have a point in case Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia leave the map joining Atlantis. If just takes a few miracles but never say nevertongue.png

Well, he might have a point in case Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia leave the map joining Atlantis. If just takes a few miracles but never say nevertongue.png

add South Korea and Taiwan whistling.gif

add South Korea and Taiwan whistling.gif

You guys are spot on about these other nations, if you look at their history. But sadly thats exactly what they are is history. In this changing economy there are many factors to take into consideration that in the past werenot so relevant. Men who still use out dated ways of forecasting economic change will be left behind.

Look at Japan ,Taiwan,Singapore, and Hong Kong . They are all Islands,not good for the future believe me.South Korea can only be accessed on land through North Korea(that is difficult right). Malaysia is a better off being partially on a peninsula,but is not quite good enough. So what do they offer? A trade history? An over inflated currency value?

The moving of product as cheaply and as easily as possible to other Asian nations will be what determines, which nation will be the most valuable for Asian trade purposes. The most valuable nation will then be one whose currency wil be used in trade.

Thailand is the only nation in position for this. Can access many nations by land, centralizing movement.Sea transportation is in place.The baht has remained strong during all the crises,internally and externally. Manufacturing infrastructure is in place. Oh I forgot they also have strong ties with America, which I am sure doesnot go unnoticed by China.

Ok your turn rip me to shreds.

Had to do a quick edit here. It also doenot matter which is the party in government. This will happen regardless of which party is in place. Other nations arenot concerned about Thai politics its about money..The Thai politicians make care who is in power at the time but the rest of the world could care less

Edited by lovelomsak

The baht has remained strong during all the crises,internally and externally.

oh yes.

post-17813-0-15541900-1346915385_thumb.j

So did I read this right since january 2010 the baht has relatively remainded the same. Well other countries around the world have seen their currencies take a beating? That is over 2 1/2 years when the world has been going the worst financial crises of modern time.

oh yes.

So did I read this right since january 2010 the baht has relatively remainded the same. Well other countries around the world have seen their currencies take a beating? That is over 2 1/2 years when the world has been going the worst financial crises of modern time.

First of all don't take my comments as abusive as I guess you are Thai.

There was/is a regional shift in economic flow and currency tendencies which is fundamentally very justified in my opinion. Nevertheless Thailand in particular is in no way becoming a major player in Asia nor will it's currency. See it like this - there is a leaf in the lake and suddenly lake becomes river, guess who the leaf is and how much it can influence changing or leading the stream.

So much misinformation (disinformation??) in these posts. I will point out two things:

1. Publically traded US debt is slightly less than 50% foreign owned. If you include the Intragovernmental debt, this amount drops to about 33%, but this is comparing apples with oranges.

2. The amount of publically traded US debt held by foreigners is actually INCREASING. Now at around 5.2 trillion, up from 4.5 trillion a year ago. Meaning, foreign investors are running to buy US debt, not trying to sell it. I think China is flat for US debt, while Japan is up.

Reality check time. The US will be the world’s safe haven and reserve currency for the foreseeable future. As bad as it is in the US right now, there is still no safer investment than T-bills, and everyone knows this. As long as that’s the case, the good old greenback will be the reserve currency.

oh yes.

You previously said 'The baht has remained strong during all the crises,internally and externally.' Clearly not so. So Let us now see if you can acknowledge this as evidenced by the graph above or whether the tinted glasses stay firmly on.