Volunteer Wanted To Host Next Isaan Farmers Meeting

WormFarmer

So far there have been five meetings of "farmers" in Isaan. These have all been fairly social meetings where various farming type subjects have been informally discussed and ideas exchanged as well as a lot of other chat. Generally the meetings have been held at a farming type venue: so far, one pig farm, two rubber farms, one fruit farm and one worm farm. The host has organised a barbeque lunch and some sort of evening food and arranged or recommended local accommodation in nearby resorts or short time cottages. Attendees have paid for food and drink so the host is not expected to be out of pocket.

The meetings have, I believe, been a great success and have enabled like-minded farangs to get together in convivial surroundings and several new friendships have resulted. The majority have brought along their thai wives (the real farmers) many of whom are also now good friends.

In some cases the meetings have led to some business opportunities for the "farmers" to sell their produce, but that is not the main purpose of the meetings.

These meetings are not intended to generate a clique and any body has always been welcome. Trouble now is we are needing some new venues for meetings so if any one feels they could host such a meeting in say October once the rains are over, then now would be a good time to step forward. It is not too arduous a task, obviously it takes some effort and you need to have good internet connection to keep track of who is coming and if they need rooms booking etc. But speaking from experience it is not too much to do and can be quite fun.

So come on someone.

Sorry I can not host at this time but I would like to know if there is a mailing list or a website for this group? My family would be interested in getting involved, how do we get an invite?

It isn't a defined group and there's no mailing list or website. In the past meeting details have been posted here on the Farming Forum and anyone who wants to attend can do so. If you do a quick search on this Forum for Isaan Farmers Meetings you'll find the various threads pertaining to the previous meetings.

I endorse all Worm Farmer says in his opening message.

I held the 2nd. Meeting and thoroughly enjoyed doing it - especially as my wife always insists on cooking the bbq so I was able to be a perfect host and drink/talk with our visiters!! Very little work is involved as it is all done on the "Farming in Thailand Forum" other than, when you know rough numbers, getting in a few boxes Singha & Leo, some food, making a map of how to reach you and finding a resort or similar not far away. It was fun - as well as making new friends, seeing areas of Isaan we didn't know before and maybe even learning a bit about what others do and possible pitfalls that may happen).

So far we have had 5 Meetings in different areas, 2 of Ubon province and 1 each in Sisaket, Surin & Roi Et provinces and at diffent venues as Worm Farmer lists.

We are now looking for a host for No. 6.

Being a Canary (Norwich City Football Club) supporter I should quote our major share holder holder Delia Smith (who is also a cook!!) who famously, over a microphone, told the crowd at half time at a match, where they had lost a 2-0 lead and to encourage louder support in the 2nd. half, "Where are Ya. Where are Ya. Come on. Let's be having Ya. Let's be having Ya"!!!!!!!!! She may have had a drink or 2 at the time!

Be brave and follow Delai's sugestion. Offer yourself to be our host for Meeting No. 6. You will find you enjoy it and learn from it. I certainly did.

I can only agree to what WF and AA1 has posted, as a host of the 3rd meeting. We are all probably able to rehost a meeting, but it will be interesting to explore other venues! biggrin.png

It is not really Isaan, but it is Isaan's beach !!!! How about an excuse to go to the beach for a get together?

We have a place at Chao Lao Beach, Chanthaburi. It seems to be the beach area popular with folks from Isaan. There are at least 40 resorts along the strip, new rooms with hot water, TV and aircon from 500b a night up to silly rip off prices. ( There is no relationship with the quality of the property and the price it seems!!) Basically folks from Isaan follow the road south near Cambodia through to Chanthaburi city then it is 20 mins on to the beach, many chartered buses come down each weekend. The beaches are much nicer than near Pattaya etc.

Accommodation is no issue, we have a Rai or two, no farm sorry. Around here is prawn farm mecca and fishing boats. This province is the tropical fruit bowl of Thailand, but most things are ripe in May it seems for really cheap stuff. Lost of ice around here to keep the beer cold, (to chill the bottles in, not to mix with warm beer). I am sure wifie could fire a roast up chook or two, her farlang food is “Aussie-fied” sorry !!!! thumbsup.gif

On a serous note, it would be a pain for many in Isaan as such, but may be an excuse for a bit of a holiday and have a farming meet up for a new group of people geographically. Maybe mix in a few tourist things, Sea-world is down the road if you have kids who are inclined to see performing dolphins.

Just food for thought? I do have some commitments coming up, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Edited by chantsurfer

You all flatlanders may not want to go as far as Chao Lao, I know for me Nakhon Sawan or Petchabun is as far as I want to go in a day and I'm 100k closer than the chantsurfer. How far do you's all drive for this shindig, I'm not familiar with deep Isaan except for an excursion to Dan Sai a long time ago which is probably not real Isaan anyway.

Well it seems no one else is ready to comment yet so here's my two-baht's worth:

It is not really Isaan, but it is Isaan's beach !!!! How about an excuse to go to the beach for a get together?

We have a place at Chao Lao Beach, Chanthaburi. It seems to be the beach area popular with folks from Isaan..................................

Nice idea Chantsurfer, but I think you are a bit far away for such a get-together. Also generally I think people would prefer a farm-type venue but I may be wrong, what does anyone else think?

You all flatlanders may not want to go as far as Chao Lao, I know for me Nakhon Sawan or Petchabun is as far as I want to go in a day and I'm 100k closer than the chantsurfer. How far do you's all drive for this shindig, I'm not familiar with deep Isaan except for an excursion to Dan Sai a long time ago which is probably not real Isaan anyway.

Do you have a farm Bluetongue? I reckon most people would reckon three-four hours drive at most.

Well it seems no one else is ready to comment yet so here's my two-baht's worth:

We have a place at Chao Lao Beach, Chanthaburi. It seems to be the beach area popular with folks from Isaan..................................

Nice idea Chantsurfer, but I think you are a bit far away for such a get-together. Also generally I think people would prefer a farm-type venue but I may be wrong, what does anyone else think?

Do you have a farm Bluetongue? I reckon most people would reckon three-four hours drive at most.

As I said in the last farmers forum, if there are no volunteers, lets go to Tronds place. He can provide rooms, food and a farm. Plus some night life in Nam Yuen. Or just pick a city to go for the weekend, think we have all seen enough rubber trees etcJim

i thought the beach idea would be a good craic,, and at least the women and kids would be happy while the blokes sat around and had a natter and a few bears,

ide love to host one but im not quite ready yet, i havnt been to one yet as im allways working when they are on, im back home this year 9th november,

ill get there, at about meet 15,,lol

jake, small pig farm, with a few fruit trees and chickens,

As I said in the last farmers forum, if there are no volunteers, lets go to Tronds place. He can provide rooms, food and a farm. Plus some night life in Nam Yuen. Or just pick a city to go for the weekend, think we have all seen enough rubber trees etcJim

Yes I know you want to go to Trond's because it's nice and close for you, and I agree it's a nice place - but you both live so far out on the edges of Isaan, practically into Cambodia, which makes it a long way for anyone else - Trond even has bomb shelters he lives so close to the border - I was hoping maybe something a bit more central Isaan would be a nice change.

Yes I have a farm, and I think it's a bit too far really about an hour and a bit or a half from Sa Kaeo, in any case I am really in the boonies, the closest "resort" is 18k and while my house is big it already sleeps 5, but one day!. I really had my tongue in my cheek because of the earlier post inviting you all to the beach. BTW I am 5k from Cambo but there is no aggro here, plenty of soldiers.

Guys,

If you are interested in coming to Mahasarakam and have a look at my aquaponics set up then I don't mind doing it.

I don't think I am in the same league as some of you chaps as it is more of a hobby but you would be more than welcome.

We have a bar and a swimming pool at the house and a few short time hotels within 3-4 kms. We are about 15kms out of town on the Wapi Pathum - Buriram road (2040)

My wife is always happy to meet new folks so it could be a ball....

Let me know.

Irrigator

• Like 1

All,

If that means it's a go I guess I am going to need to know when you want to do it. Someone mentioned October and that is fine with me. How about Saturday the 20th ??

Will also need to know numbers but not imperative right now.

Is "short time" accomodation suitable ?? There is new one about 3-4 kms from us, If not I can book rooms at the Taksila in Sarakam but it is at least 15kms from our village and probably around THB 1,000 per night.

Kids are welcome, we have a 13 year old lad and he has all the toys to keep them occupied.

Will knock up a map and give you the gps coordinates in a couple of days.

I think I have the jist of what is expected but if any of you that have done this before have any tips from what you learnt please fire them this way.

• Like 2

Sounds like it is starting to come together. The more the merrier.....

Let's try to keep this topic alive and attract as many of the farmers as possible out there, to attend. I for one am hoping to learn a lot from the experience.

Will try to get the map posted tomorrow.

Hi Irrigator,

Thanks so much for offering to host the 6th. Isaan Farmers Meeting. This already seems to have met with much approval and I agree with them totally and when the date is finalised I very much look forward to coming plus hopefully my wife.

It is always a pleasure to:-

meet new people,

see a new area of Thailand which I haven't yet visited

learn a little about other agricultural ventures

and

how other expats spend their hard earned money!!

If I might be so rude as thanks to you we now have a host for the next meeting, may I suggest you start a new topic, say something like "Isaan Farmers Meeting No. 6" to introduce yourself as the next host. This will save any confusion caused by this topic's name and more important longer term should save you work to!

For information any form of accomodation will suit us as we are so called 'farmers' not Yuppies!! Usually we end up at a resort at say 400 Baht or so (short time accom!!) rather than smart hotel. Living in Isaan I have forgotten what the latter are!!!!

Looking forward to it and meeting you (when date finalised!).

Anthony.

p.s. Thanks Chantsurfer & Bluetongue for your kind offers of hosting a trip to the coast but this venue has a farming venture and fits well in the middle of Isaan.