New To Bitcomet

Noodles

I've just installed BitComet and downloaded my first torrent yestereday. I was

wondering if anyone had any tips on how to increase download speeds?

I noticed that I was uploading aswell, am I correct in thinking that if you decrease

the upload speed, it increases the download. What should my Max Global Download and Upload

Rate be?

Are there any other tips that would be useful for a beginner?

Thanks for your time

Noodles

I noticed that I was uploading aswell, am I correct in thinking that if you decrease

the upload speed, it increases the download. What should my Max Global Download and Upload

Rate be?

Thanks for your time

Noodles

You need to get port forwarding setup correctly with your router / firewall to get good torrent speeds. Google around for one of the many guides for your model of router.

Or if your router has uPnP enable that and then tick the uPnP option in the BitComet settings.

You'll know its working correctly in BitComet when you see the Initiation type as Remote in the peers tab for the transfer.

Also try setting the Listen port in Options Preferences to a higher random value as some ISP's will filter or traffic shape on the default ports.

I'm useing bitlord with uPnP enabled on the router and the software and still it just sits there and does nothing. I disable my software firewall.

Do I have to up load something first? Why is this so complicated? Should I just pay one of those sites that say "No Uploads Needed". I have alot of computer experience and I have no desire to figure this out. I just want free files.

Rate be?

Thanks for your time

Noodles

You need to get port forwarding setup correctly with your router / firewall to get good torrent speeds. Google around for one of the many guides for your model of router.

Or if your router has uPnP enable that and then tick the uPnP option in the BitComet settings.

You'll know its working correctly in BitComet when you see the Initiation type as Remote in the peers tab for the transfer.

Also try setting the Listen port in Options Preferences to a higher random value as some ISP's will filter or traffic shape on the default ports.

I don't have a router but a ZyXel 600 series modem. I looked everywhere in setup

for uPnP but can't find it anywhere. I'm downloading a torrent now at 20kbs on TOT

goldcyber.

I first installed Utorrent and this required me to forward ports which I was not to keen on.

BitComet has not asked me to do this, which is good, but the speed is just slow

I'm useing bitlord with uPnP enabled on the router and the software and still it just sits there and does nothing. I disable my software firewall.

Do I have to up load something first? Why is this so complicated? Should I just pay one of those sites that say "No Uploads Needed". I have alot of computer experience and I have no desire to figure this out. I just want free files.

If i was you .I'd try bitcomet and then use torrentspy to get files. look for good health rates. I've been using this for quite a while and have downloaded many things. Depending on the file size it can take a long time. But i just leave my PC on all the time.

it always takes a bit of getting used to to get Bit Torrent working.

Wincen - if you don't want to spend the time working it out hard luck.

Noodles - 20 kps is not bad. You won't get much more than that anyway, apart from the early hours of the morning. You do not tell us what kind of internet connection/package you have. No one ever provides information in this forum. It should be renamed the "Psychic internet and communications forum"

Some internet packages will block Bit Torrent, others limit it. Other packages are just slow. My crystal ball is in the menders right now ......

Note - the more you Upload the faster the download!. you want to set the upload capacity at about 80% of your line's capability. Bit Torrent notes how fast you upload and reciprocates. Also leave your file seeding after it is finished, as many sites keep a log of how much you UL, and if they note you are a leech you will have very slow speeds. Keep your ratio over 1:1

Also note how many seeders and leechers there are for a file. The more the better. if there are only a few, forget about it.

You do not tell us what kind of internet connection/package you have. No one ever provides information in this forum. It should be renamed the "Psychic internet and communications forum"

Some internet packages will block Bit Torrent, others limit it. Other packages are just slow. My crystal ball is in the menders right now ......

Please check my post again...it does state what internet package I am using....thanks

for your replies it has helped alot.....I thought it was the less the upolad the more the download

so thanks for helping me with this.

Edited by Noodles

Noodles,

Besides what was written by other posters:

Maximum connections per task: 150

Connections to keep per task: 100

Global maximum upload slots: 16

Global minumum upload slots: 1

Maximum half-open TCP connections: 50 (assuming you have XP) you need a patch to set this value

If you want to know it all: http://www.p2pforums.com/index.php?c=10

Good luck.

Petch01

Noodles,

Besides what was written by other posters:

Maximum connections per task: 150

Connections to keep per task: 100

Global maximum upload slots: 16

Global minumum upload slots: 1

Maximum half-open TCP connections: 50 (assuming you have XP) you need a patch to set this value

If you want to know it all: http://www.p2pforums.com/index.php?c=10

Good luck.

Petch01

Good stuff this was what I was looking for

thanks

Noodles you still have not told us what your Upload and Download speeds are from your ISP. How can anyone tell you what to expect? What is the UL and DL speed on your ISP package?

I'm on Tot's goldcyber 1024/512 package.

I ma going to need more help now :o Since installing BitComet I have downloaded two torrents

and uploaded alittle bit aswell. I havn't manually changed any ports. My last torrents finished last

night. This morning I surfed the net, checked email and cleaned the computer (spy/ad) etc.

I noticed the speed coming to a crawl so turned it off for abit. Now I have an ADSL connection

but the incoming bytes received sticks at 263. I can t get any use out of it.

Is this due to installing BitComet?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said I'm new to all this

Thanks

Edited by Noodles

Noodles,

In a previous post you wrote that you have TOT Goldcyber. In this post you wrote you've 1024/512. Are you sure because Goldcyber is 1024/256.

If you have the last try to set your Global maximum upload speed to 19 kB.

About the upload slots I recommended; lower it to 9, 6 or 3 if necessary.

Good luck, Stamp

Edited by Petch01