Floods Hit Chiang Mai In North; Ranong, Trang In South

webfact

Floods hit Chiang Mai in North; Ranong, Trang in South

image_20120829143456714DED11-E1E2-EFB7-97D2263853B65BF5.jpg

CHIANG MAI, Aug 29 – Flood hits Thailand's northern province of Chiang Mai as waters recede in southern province of Trang.

Continuous rain triggered flash flood in Chiang Mai from Doi Suthep, with runoff from Thailand's most famous mountain flowing into the Nakhon Chiang Mai municipality.

Roads and houses in Sri Ping Muang community are under water, in some areas a half metre deep. Local residents moved their belongings to higher ground.

Pumps are being used to drain water from flooded areas, even as the rising water levels in several canals threatens wider disruption.

Meanwhile, in the South, flash flooding has carried away a portion of concrete roadway in Ranong’s provincial seat, making it impassable. The torrential current severed at least one village’s tap water pipeline, immediately cutting potable water supplies to some 500 families, and damaging nearby oil palm plantations.

In the southern province of Trang, authorities distributed relief supplies to flood victims after about 70 homes were damaged by flash flooding. Meanwhile, floodwater has dropped from 60cm – from 1.2 metres to 0.4 metres. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-29

Sri Ping Muang is and should be translated as "bang in the middle of the Ping river flood plain". Happens every year, why folks don't move is beyond me. Can't sell? Promises from officials "it won't happen again?

The rest of Chiang Mai is flood free as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

This happens in many countries, even in Europe.

After many years of low rainfall, a flood plain or dry river bed will become prime building land.

A few years later there may be a flash flood that devastates the place, killing people.....

But lots of people made lots of profit and that seems to be what is important.

A few years ago in France a flash flood killed many when it washed a camp site away....

Authorities should not allow building permits, but then some people are happy to live in properties built close to motorways.

I saw the Ping river at the Iron bridge this morning, I was looking at a stormwater pipe 2 meters above the river a week ago.

Today the water is half way up the pipe.

Another 3 meters and we will be knee deep again.

Another ten feet, should we be worried! Anyway, Yingluk promissed there wont be any floods this year and I believe her. biggrin.png