How To Make Home Made Liver Pate?

billd766

My way is pretty simple: fry some chopped onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add chicken liver and cook through. Maybe some herbs like thyme as well. Put in a splash of alcohol like sherry and burn it off. Leave it to cool and then blend in a food processor. Adjust seasoning. Put it in the fridge.

It's really easy to make a simple pate. My basic recipe is 1/3 pork liver,1/3 lean pork mince and 1/3 pork belly, then just add you're favourite spirit and your favourite herbs and spices and 2% salt (so 20g per kilo). I made a orange, juniper and masala pate the other day. But if you like it very livery add a little extra.

The way I make mine is to cut the liver into a 3cm dice, fry off as quickly as possible, so lots of colour but without cooking it through (never fully cook the liver at this point! bah.gif ). Remove the livers and cool down in the fridge, now throw a little diced shallot into the same pan and soften, deglaze with your favourite booze and add this to a bowl to cool. Once everything is nice and cold, blend the livers, the mince and the chopped pork belly together along with your seasoning and place in a pate dish, cook in a bain marie (so place in a pan of water) in the oven until it reaches about 65 C in the middle (about 45 minutes on 160 C). Once cooked, weigh down with a couple of cans and leave to cool completely in the fridge.

You then just need to find some good bread and cornichons and munch away.smile.png

This is the recipe of Tuscan Chicken Liver Patè, the one we use to spread on unsalted toasted bread.

In a large pan put all togheter 500gr chicken livers (i prefer just the liver), 250gr veal meat chopped in pieces (or pork if veal too difficult to find), 3 large chopped onions, a large deck of chopped parsley, 150gr of butter, salt, pepper, 1 garlic clove, a few sage leafs.

Make it boiling all togheter for about 30 minutes, using the liquid made by meats.

Once start to dry and take colour add some Marsala whine (or Porto, or Cognac) and leave it evaporate.

Add a large hand of capers (unsalted, better if in winegar) and a few anchovies fillets (or some anchovies paste).

Mince very fine with a chopper/mincer.

Put again on a low fire, add some more butter (150 gr more) and if needed a few stock.

Boil for a few minutes and check salt and pepper.

We use it warm on toasted bread,

you can keep in the frigider for a week, if freezed also months.

wai.gif

tips

to make a more tasty sauce panfry in olive oil liver and meat before to put in the pan with others ingredients, making it brown.

This is the recipe of Tuscan Chicken Liver Patè, the one we use to spread on unsalted toasted bread.

In a large pan put all togheter 500gr chicken livers (i prefer just the liver), 250gr veal meat chopped in pieces (or pork if veal too difficult to find), 3 large chopped onions, a large deck of chopped parsley, 150gr of butter, salt, pepper, 1 garlic clove, a few sage leafs.

Make it boiling all togheter for about 30 minutes, using the liquid made by meats.

Once start to dry and take colour add some Marsala whine (or Porto, or Cognac) and leave it evaporate.

Add a large hand of capers (unsalted, better if in winegar) and a few anchovies fillets (or some anchovies paste).

Put again on a low fire, add some more butter (150 gr more) and if needed a few stock.

wai.gif

tips

to make a more tasty sauce panfry in olive oil liver and meat before to put in the pan with others ingredients, making it brown.

This one sounds like a real winner although if I can find them I would make with goose or duck liver instead, easy to find in Udon (not much difference in price), not easy here in Pattaya.

This one sounds like a real winner although if I can find them I would make with goose or duck liver instead, easy to find in Udon (not much difference in price), not easy here in Pattaya.

With goose or duck liver you can use a little less parsley being that meats more delicate than chicken.

Envying you who can find ducks so easely, in Hua Hin was not so easy, just frozeen in Villa... but loving to prepare duck meat sauce for pasta... it worth the same.

wai.gif

wai.gif

tips

Made a tasty duck liver pate last week. Cheaper at Friendship than chicken livers.

I do the same as the posts above, onion, garlic, booze, chicken livers when I add it to the food processor, I then add cold butter it makes it nice and smooth and the pate firm once chilled. I've also added a touch of jam or jelly-strawberry, blueberry, mint they all seem to work just a teaspoon. Duck and Goose liver I tend to add more salt to enhance the flavour. Cut out those little fat sacks and the bits of stringy pieces. Let is chill for 24 hours YUM YUM

geeesh what a wonderful thread..am indeed drooling...

as an aside.... the wife makes a sort of gentleman's relish (fish paste..lol?)..fish and spices wrapped in banana leaf packets then steamed..don't know what it is called will ask her ( she out cutting rubber at the moment).

Anyways very spicy and tasty ..I freeze a few to eat on my no knead bread .....when I am not too lazy to make it ......otherwise on crackers.

Thanks a lot guys for those recipes and some of them are causing me to hang a bucket around my neck to catch the drool.

I don't have an oven yet and I am not sure if it is worth buying a gas one or one of the small table top electric fan assisted ones something like this.

post-5614-0-39171500-1346484252_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-83346000-1346484292_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-42358500-1346484317_thumb.jp

Thanks a lot guys for those recipes and some of them are causing me to hang a bucket around my neck to catch the drool.

I don't have an oven yet and I am not sure if it is worth buying a gas one or one of the small table top electric fan assisted ones something like this.

I have it, same same (if the one ventilated).

Is pretty good, i use it for bread, pizza, focaccia, cakes, bisquits, flans, meats, potatoes and so on...

The only one hazard it's it became really hot on the outside, but once know you don't get any problem.

wai.gif

Is pretty good, i use it for bread, pizza, focaccia, cakes, bisquits, flans, meats, potatoes and so on...

The only one hazard it's it became really hot on the outside, but once know you don't get any problem.

wai.gif

Thank you for that information. That can go on next months shopping list.

wai.gif

+1