Xp User Log-on Password

bdenner

I have experienced a problem with XP not encountered before? A friend has a new desk top with the XP SP2 OS and the Administrator being the only user. For security reasons he asked me to help him place a user password for “Administrator” log on. This I did through the normal Control Panel – User Account – Add a Password module.

Problem – The system does not ask for a log on password, just boots up to the normal desktop. If I “Start - Log Off the Administrator” it clears the display and comes back with the log on password field and accepts the password to get in again???

In the short term I set up a BIOS password for him until I can figure what’s wrong.

Probably a simple solution but I can’t see it!

Thanks for any advise.

I have experienced a problem with XP not encountered before? A friend has a new desk top with the XP SP2 OS and the Administrator being the only user. For security reasons he asked me to help him place a user password for “Administrator” log on. This I did through the normal Control Panel – User Account – Add a Password module.

Problem – The system does not ask for a log on password, just boots up to the normal desktop. If I “Start - Log Off the Administrator” it clears the display and comes back with the log on password field and accepts the password to get in again???

In the short term I set up a BIOS password for him until I can figure what’s wrong.

Probably a simple solution but I can’t see it!

Thanks for any advise.

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK. In the dialog box that appears, enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

and also

Start->Settings->Control Panel->User Accounts

Click Change the way users log on or off

Untick "Use Welcome Screen"

Solved

Edited by Simmo

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK. In the dialog box that appears, enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

and also

Start->Settings->Control Panel->User Accounts

Click Change the way users log on or off

Untick "Use Welcome Screen"

Solved

Thank you, tried the second suggestion without success but it may not activate without enabling the check box you indicated above. I will see the guy later this week and try this.