Still No Plates For Bikes Available (Since Four Months)

roban

When I transferred our bikes to the Chonburi province, nearly four months ago, I received

a small document from the DLT which stated, that my plates would be available on Sep.03.2012.

My wife rang them today, but the employees at the DLT were absolutely clueless, when new plates would arrive.

*Maybe* next months, they told her.

What's wrong here? I know this is Thailand, but hey we talk about number plates, not rocket-science

I mean, they build 1000's of cars and bikes every day.

But they are incapable to produce the necessary plates?

Normally, I wouldn't care about this nonsense.

But I want to sell our two bike's now, but who buys a bike without no. plate?

For potential buyers who don't know the background, or are just inexperienced, it smells fishy for sure...bah.gif

Edited by roban

You and me know, it is no problem.

But what about the 90% who never bought a bike in Thailand.

I personally, would never buy a 2nd hand unplated bike, if I had no idea what's going on here, at the moment...

Most (non Thai) people are also scared, what would happen if police stops them without plates...etc.pp

• Like 1

Yes, very frustrating for you. But consider this. In the province of Buriram where I live I see so many ?new motorbikes on the roads with no number plates. Apparently they do not issue red plates up here for bikes. Very worrying if you consider that you are unable to identify the bike/rider if an accident occurrs.

Yes, very frustrating for you. But consider this. In the province of Buriram where I live I see so many ?new motorbikes on the roads with no number plates. Apparently they do not issue red plates up here for bikes. Very worrying if you consider that you are unable to identify the bike/rider if an accident occurrs.

The police are aware of the situation, the dealers use a piece of card or paper there displaying the number and you are meant to have the green/blue book in the vehicle.

When i transferred a bike from Chiang Mai I kept the Chiang Mai plates until the Bangkok plates were ready. Never had to ride without a plate. Took about a month.

4 months seems a long time, maybe you could go down there and talk to them? They seem to brush you off on the phone if you're lucky enough for them to answer it that is...

When i transferred a bike from Chiang Mai I kept the Chiang Mai plates until the Bangkok plates were ready. Never had to ride without a plate. Took about a month.

4 months seems a long time, maybe you could go down there and talk to them? They seem to brush you off on the phone if you're lucky enough for them to answer it that is...

Got the same story from Kawasaki in CM, had my Versys for 4 months now and still waiting, can't believe they can run out of metal sheet to form the plates, but then again TIT !

When did you transfer your bike? I assume, it was not in the last four months...

*Normally*, we got our plates in Chonburi within a week.

It's just ridiculous..sad.png

Edited by roban

It is not only bikes but vehicles as well. I bought a new vehicle 5 months ago and still waiting for number plates. I bought a new bike last month. I have number for the bike but no plate. it is very frustrating. I see many vehicles and bikes without number plates.

Now waiting since mid January after buying a Versys in Surat Thanee and changing the registration to CM in January, checked last week and they said to call again in October. That will be a gestation period of 9 months if they arrive on time as stated!

Same here bought a new bike from a Honda Dealer beginning of June

Still no plates.

But not a problem as they did give us the registration sticker a few weeks after buying.

Also we do carry a copy of the pertinent green book info on the bike.

They told us some time in November to expect the plates. So 6 months after purchase....If then

Edit: I did not hear it was a shortage of sheet metal but a problem with paint.

Seems all the white plates from last year were just peeling away

Edited by mania

Edit: I did not hear it was a shortage of sheet metal but a problem with paint.

Seems all the white plates from last year were just peeling away

I heard this too, but this is just bullshit nonsense.

Nobody, even Thais don't need six month's to fix a "paint problem", or find a source for "raw materials"

Also, all our plates from the last year are fine.

[conspiracy theory]

I personally believe, this is the result of a "communication problem" between the (former?) producer of the plates and the relevant persons at the government, about the amount of "bribery payments"

Now it seems, they are looking for a new plate producer..tongue.png

[/conspiracy theory]

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

Been waiting 3 months for red plates, i dont like the red ones as one it stands out as new and a more likely attraction to theives and 2 there are laws about riding after and before 6pm - 6am, its a nother reason for the BIB to stop. I would have thought by now they would ahve gone to the more illuminous plastic plates and let shops sell them with green book and ID as proof of ownership. Works perfectly well in UK and takes about 10 minutes. Still that would mean learing some thing new from the no nothing farangs.

Another reflection on the dumbing down that seems to be getting more and more prevelant.

Works perfectly well in UK and takes about 10 minutes

Works similar in Germany.

The german equivalent of the DLT, tells you your new plate number.

You go to the "plate-shop", usually in the same building.

They make your new plates in five minutes.

Than, back at the "DLT" they put official stamps on your plates, and period.

Not to mention, that the complete process of transferring ownership, incl. new plates etc.pp is done in a half hour.

No need to bring the former owner or dozens of documents to the "DLT"

Or to visit them three times, if your bike was registered in a foreign province before..sick.gif

But this is just another story....tongue.png

TiT

I bought a 96 Fatboy last year July 2011. I finally got the plate in mid january this year. I was riding it around anyway as I had the paperwork on it in my helmet. Had no problems and never got pulled over anyway. The bike was insured from the dealer for the first year anyway so I had that paperwork in there too. I was told that with the flooding it just took extra time to get it all done but it seems to be an ongoing thing with or without the flood. Be patient and you will get em. Thai time seems to be different that any other time in the world. Safe riding!

I have been waiting for a new plate as well. Had the gf stop in, they gave us a stamp on our tax reciept about additional days for the plate, and then a photocopy of something in Thai to provide the police if stopped. This was four months ago. We have now been told the 15th of this month for all scooter / motorcycle plates.

I have just picked up my new plate ,2 1/2 weeks total time for myself .im in bangkok so i think the story about no plates etc might be slighty exaggerated

Chonburi is the province that always has the mad delays for plates. Many of my friends in Chonburi register their vehicles in Bangkok to avoid this problem.