How Delicate Are Lcd Screens ?

Michael W

A few months ago I switched from a 25 lb 17" (16" viewable) CRT monitor to a new flat panel 17" (17" viewable!) LCD monitor (Philips 170S). While I've been fairly careful not to touch the screen with my fingertips (to point something out), it still happens on occasion, along with my girlfriend also doing it. These have always been light touches but could these also bepotentially damaging, or should I not worry hugely? Also, are there any differences or things to keep in mind in cleaning the screen? I imagine (or at least, hope) a damp rag wouldn't be harmful but it'd be more assuring to have a bit more information.

An occasional touch is not going to be a problem, just watch the finger nails so as to not scratch the surface. I have two LCD screens and I use ethyl alcohol to clean the screens. Best to turn the monitor off when doing it (easier to see the dirty spots). After I use a lens cleaning cloth to buff any remaining smuges off. Don't need to do it that often, maybe every 2-3 months.

A few months ago I switched from a 25 lb 17" (16" viewable) CRT monitor to a new flat panel 17" (17" viewable!) LCD monitor (Philips 170S). While I've been fairly careful not to touch the screen with my fingertips (to point something out), it still happens on occasion, along with my girlfriend also doing it. These have always been light touches but could these also bepotentially damaging, or should I not worry hugely? Also, are there any differences or things to keep in mind in cleaning the screen? I imagine (or at least, hope) a damp rag wouldn't be harmful but it'd be more assuring to have a bit more information.

Depends on what kind of stains you got on it. :D:D:o

like tywais said ,,no problem, but its a habit you may want to try to break.

As tywais said be careful with fingernails, I was cleaning an lcd on an old laptop I had awhile back and actually seperated the screen from the "frame" when cleaning the edge of screen with fingernail underneath the clothe I was using. It was a really small seperation but the next time I sprayed a little cleaner on it some ran into the small gap I had made and bonked my monitor.