Financial Health Of The Gay Related Business Sector In Thailand

Asiantravel

I am just curious to know if anyone has any viewpoints on the financial health of the gay related business sector in Thailand ( bars, massage parlours, guesthouses etc ) in view of the slow but ever present inflationary pressures?

It seems to me they must be getting severely squeezed by increasing costs but without increasing revenue? And it's not just here of course it's all around the world which means surely gay tourists even if they still come to Thailand ( and there is increased competition now in Cambodia, Laos and even Myanmar ) this high season gay tourists are also like to have less disposable income?

Food prices are going up quite noticeably and for example I read that electricity prices are being increased again towards the end of the year so inflation seems unrelenting and is quite visible regarding essentials.

This must also be having a terrible effect on the young Thai guys who are working in this sector because I don't see much room for bars and other venues to increase the salary payments.

When you look at the financial problems in Europe and USA you have to wonder if this tourist high season will be a strong as in the past?

Edited by Asiantravel

• 4 weeks later...

I would have thought that gay tourists, at least gay couples, would be feeling the financial pinch somewhat less than their hetro counterparts. Hetro couples quite often have children as an added expense whereas gay couples generally don't.

I would have thought that gay tourists, at least gay couples, would be feeling the financial pinch somewhat less than their hetro counterparts. Hetro couples quite often have children as an added expense whereas gay couples generally don't.

Well, fair enough very rough generalization, but when you're unemployed, you're unemployed, and we ain't all GUPPIES either.

In Jomtien it is well documented that the gay beach oriented businesses have really shrunk to give way to the Russian demographic, etc. Not sure how much of that is economic pain and how much the massive growth of the Russian market here, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

Many of the gay tourists that come to Thailand don't come as couples but as singles. And I know many who think they are not single any more when they leave. That said, gay people generally have fewer "forced" expenses (if you call family expenses "forced") but not necessarily fewer total expenses.

No, I don't have any official statistics. I just compare my gay and straight friends and jump to conclusions.

Well, fair enough very rough generalization, but when you're unemployed, you're unemployed, and we ain't all GUPPIES either.

True. Neither are YUPPIES.