Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

LL is the valve check something you asked for? I honestly cant think why a check would be needed before 10,000 kilometers. If this bike is sold in the usa a 700mile valve check wont go over well at all. I think my dtracker and z1k go at least 15,000 kilometers before its required.

+1

Never heard of any bike or car needing valves checked at 1000km

Strange

IIRR i have seen this required for some bikes, also some smaller bikes. To check the clearance does not mean there has to be something adjusted. Just a check mostly.

What does the manual say? Yes, i know it is in thai :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LL is the valve check something you asked for? I honestly cant think why a check would be needed before 10,000 kilometers. If this bike is sold in the usa a 700mile valve check wont go over well at all. I think my dtracker and z1k go at least 15,000 kilometers before its required.

+1

Never heard of any bike or car needing valves checked at 1000km

Strange

IIRR i have seen this required for some bikes, also some smaller bikes. To check the clearance does not mean there has to be something adjusted. Just a check mostly.

What does the manual say? Yes, i know it is in thai smile.png

Of all the bikes I have owned & many were Honda's they never required checking of valves at 1000km/600mi

Same with the Ninja 250 I just took in for 1000k service.

Could be a Big Wing thing?

No it is not that.

If it is a Big Wing thing & they want to be thourough fine do it....

But don't charge the customer.

I would complain that if the valves are so out they need adjusting or even checking at 600 miles????

Then call it what it is...Warranty Service. Because I do not think they will find support for such action in the bike or car world.

What kind of tolerance are they building at that would require such action so soon?

Edited by mania

For the inquring minds, they gave up when i passed 170 kmh.

Road was straight but it does not matter as we were scissoring between cars leaning hard in high traffic:lol:

Be careful ;)

170 + traffic in Thailand is a definite no-no

Mania, highway means 140 kmh - 190 kmh for me.

These speeds are needed if you want to reach somewhere with less fatique and time.

But no worries, bike is new and i need to break it nicely and also testing the bike. I do not drive all the way on 170 kmh:lol: just where neccesery. i want to ride bikes longer man!

I will cool down soon. As you know there is nothing like a new bike especially on a highway and i am enjoying it:lol:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer

No it is not that.

If it is a Big Wing thing & they want to be thourough fine do it....

But don't charge the customer.

I would complain that if the valves are so out they need adjusting or even checking at 600 miles????

Then call it what it is...Warranty Service. Because I do not think they will find support for such action in the bike or car world.

What kind of tolerance are they building at that would require such action so soon?

Maybe honda is cool and just more overcautious?

Or you mean honda do not trust its bikes?

Edited by loserlazer

Maybe honda is cool and just more overcautious?

Or you mean honda do not trust its bikes?

No I mean if Honda wants to be cool & over cautious so be it.

But why charge you for it?

unless something has really changed big time recently I have never heard of such a thing on cars or bikes.

Even a conservative check on cars & trucks does not happen till 40k

Bikes can be 15k or three years which ever comes first

But maybe they have a reason. But like I said if tolerance is that tight to require a check after 600mi/1000k

then they should re-think it.

Something does not add up.

The CBR 250 & 500 are not what you would call cutting edge machines that would be built with such tight tolerance

to require a valve check at those crazy low mileages.

Remember valves need help when they get tight not loose. Not that overly loose is a good thing either wink.png

But, The old saying was when valves go silent it is past time to check.

But Honda must have it's reasons....I just would not be happy if I were the one paying for their reason.

Edited by mania

Well mania. Then i paid for their reason to blast:D

Or maybe they are not cutting cost and time like kawasaki? Or they do not trust their machines? or technology has changed? I dont know.

What i know is; bike goes well like hell before or after the service for now.

Edited by loserlazer

Or maybe they are not cutting cost and time like kawasaki? Or they do not trust their machines? or technology has changed? I dont know.

No it is not about Kawasaki at all.

Listen pick what you think is the most cutting edge road bike in the world today?

Better yet lets just use SuperBike of the Year for 2012

Ducati Panigale 1199

First Valve service check? 12k

Ok some might say BMW won 2012 :P

BMW S1000RR ....6k

Nuff said

Edited by mania

Kawasaki isnt cutting anything. Honda is making buyers pay to check for a flaw in workmenship. This is great for honda. Let the customer pay for extra protection to avoid a bigger warranty claim.

I am not knocking honda btw. I have never had a bad honda product and would buy from them again.

Kawasaki isnt cutting anything. Honda is making buyers pay to check for a flaw in workmenship. This is great for honda. Let the customer pay for extra protection to avoid a bigger warranty claim.

I am not knocking honda btw. I have never had a bad honda product and would buy from them again.

Regarding the flaw, how do you know that man?

So you guys say checking the valves are no good?:lol:

Because the next check is on 12,000 km and i dont see something bad on it. Maybe a little proactive?

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

the kawasaki 650 engine technology havent changed much in a good few years

im sure by now they have fine tuned the manufacturing process and know what to expect

by now

by comparison ,the cbr500 engine is new tech for the thai manufacturing facility

and since they are going to launch these bikes for the whole world ,maybe they want to

entensively test the first batch or two in thailand to check the valves are where theyre supposed

to be and the factory is machining everything properly

before they get to usa and europe

• Like 1

im sure by now they have fine tuned the manufacturing process and know what to expect

by now

by comparison ,the cbr500 engine is new tech for the thai manufacturing facility

and since they are going to launch these bikes for the whole world ,maybe they want to

entensively test the first batch or two in thailand to check the valves are where theyre supposed

That's fine and understandable but why make the customer pay for that check? If they want to check the workmanship on their new model then it should be free of charge.

Of all the bikes I have owned & many were Honda's they never required checking of valves at 1000km/600mi

2010 CBR250 manual

63102080.jpg

Inspect (check) Valve Clearance 1,000km, 24,000km....

2010 CBR250 manual

63102080.jpg

I take it back.

That check never happened on my CBR.

2010 CBR250 manual

Thanks cbrer

Yes I did not think anyone was lying or anything about the CBR250 & 500

requiring a check at 600mi/1000km

I just found it some what incredible.

Like I said in a previous post,

When one thinks of these bikes we know they are built for the masses not a

select high end group.

If any bike or car would need to have valves checked at 1000km it would be a very high end

pure race machine. Due to tolerances being so tight right from day one & usage being so extreme

But, as I pointed out with a couple examples of what one would consider the highest end street bikes this is not the case.

So I am of the same mind as what a few others pointed out & that is basically Honda

has their reason for needing/wanting to check their work at such an early date.

As others have said that is all fine...even admirable

But the customer should not have to pay for that double check

at such an early date.

Then again at least here in Thailand service prices are very inexpensive.

2010 CBR250 manual

63102080.jpg

I just had the 1k service done on my CBR250 and I doubt they did any of those checks, given the time it took them. Now that I have that page in English, I will definitely go back and ask them. That seems to be page 12, they checked boxes on page 14. I asked AP Honda about getting this book in English, but they said they didn't have it. Where did you get yours, please? They said they'd send me a copy of the manual in English, but haven't gotten it yet. BTW, in the back of the warranty book there is info about the Safety Riding Course and there seems to have been a voucher or registration page to cut off, but mine is missing. Do you know what that was?

2010 CBR250 manual

63102080.jpg

I just had the 1k service done on my CBR250 and I doubt they did any of those checks, given the time it took them. Now that I have that page in English, I will definitely go back and ask them. That seems to be page 12, they checked boxes on page 14. I asked AP Honda about getting this book in English, but they said they didn't have it. Where did you get yours, please? They said they'd send me a copy of the manual in English, but haven't gotten it yet. BTW, in the back of the warranty book there is info about the Safety Riding Course and there seems to have been a voucher or registration page to cut off, but mine is missing. Do you know what that was?

There is a link of cbr250 manual in english as pdf file on cbr250 forum here in TV.

by now

Do i need to feel like guinea pig?:lol: if yes i am a fast and happy guinea pig!:D

I wonder too if there is a 1000km valve check on cbr1000. Brian sumet cycle, if you are there please enlighten us.

I think the engine is a pretty new design and they want to be sure there are no problems. So they became proactive but better than being inactive for me

And there is no extra bill for valve check. They have fix price on services specified for each service. For 6000 km service, i will just pay 300 thb and a total of 22.000 thb for a nearly 100,000 km lets say at least 3 years for a busy man like me.

And what about oil changes?

12,000 km intervals on oil changes honda suggested. Is not it too long? How come? Of course they said you can change your oil anytime up to you and i will chang it on every 3000 - 4000 km like i did all my life.

Any ideas?

For cbr250, i never bothered them on valve check as i never trust them opening my engine. I remember them listening the engine for valve check:D

I just had the 1k service done on my CBR250 and I doubt they did any of those checks, given the time it took them. Now that I have that page in English, I will definitely go back and ask them. That seems to be page 12, they checked boxes on page 14.

Thais don't have to follow the service manual. They are different from every body else. :rolleyes:

Personally I think any Honda (or other Multi-National company) mechanic that does a service that does not follow the service manual as set by Honda/Kawa etc. should be reprimanded and the customer given that proper service again free of charge.

Upon arrival at the dealer one should be presented with the user and service manual, shown what is recommended to be done, asked if they want it all done as per the manual, and the work done from there.

2010 CBR250 manual

63102080.jpg

When you buy a new cbr250 you get a free ticket to do the 4 day safety course at hondas training centre. In bkk for free

I did it and was very enjoyable and then I made the wife do it as well for my entertainment and her safety :-D , you didn't. Even need to bring the manual, the invoice from honda dealer was enough

I don't know if you still get it when you buy a cbr, at the end you get a piece of paper saying you completed the honda safety course and a driving licence as well if you haven't already got one

2010 CBR250 manual

63102080.jpg

When you buy a new cbr250 you get a free ticket to do the 4 day safety course at hondas training centre. In bkk for free

I did it and was very enjoyable and then I made the wife do it as well for my entertainment and her safety :-D , you didn't. Even need to bring the manual, the invoice from honda dealer was enough

I don't know if you still get it when you buy a cbr, at the end you get a piece of paper saying you completed the honda safety course and a driving licence as well if you haven't already got one

Thanks guys, very helpful! I will go back and discuss with them and inquire when I take the safety course in February. BTW, it's running great! Not knowing about the hard break-in, I basically did a soft, taking it to Koh Chang after the first 200km, varying speeds and going through the gears more than necessary, but staying under 100km/hr (long trip!). Now I'm opening it up, jumping up to 145km/hr, but running out of room, though I know it won't have much left anyway. Have gotten 77-88 mpg the first 3 tank-fulls, so no complaints anywhere!

• Like 1

^ 140km more and I'm at 50,000km on my CBR250.

Couldn't be running any better. Actually seems to be running better than it was the first 20-30,000 km where there was engine knock and various small pieces needing to be replaced.

• Like 1

Mpg? Did you buy the fuel in gallons and is your odometer in miles? spamsign.gif

For those who may want to know what that means, the conversion factors are

Multiply by 0.425 for U.S. gallons

Multiply by 0.354 for U.K. or imperial gallons

These will give you the figure in km per litre.

I think myaimistrue is from Texas, USA so I'm guessing we are talking U.S. gallons. intheclub.gif

Mpg? Did you buy the fuel in gallons and is your odometer in miles? spamsign.gif

For those who may want to know what that means, the conversion factors are

Multiply by 0.425 for U.S. gallons

Multiply by 0.354 for U.K. or imperial gallons

These will give you the figure in km per litre.

I think myaimistrue is from Texas, USA so I'm guessing we are talking U.S. gallons. intheclub.gif

Texas, 555, that would be especially funny to a Texan, as I am from NY! My range was 33-38km/l, 95 gasohol, now trying 95 benzine, but will go with Shell V-Max next, as suggested here.

^ 140km more and I'm at 50,000km on my CBR250.

Couldn't be running any better. Actually seems to be running better than it was the first 20-30,000 km where there was engine knock and various small pieces needing to be replaced.

It's a 2011, right? Wow, that seems like a lot of kilometers vs time! How many kilometers can be expected out of one of these engines?

Guys I need help/advise. Today I started noticing some weird sound as I drive at the back of the bike behind me. I dont know how to describe it, sounds like a water sprinkler or a chain on a bicycle when you pedaling, you get this weird sound of chain moving on an old bike. The chain seems to be well lubed and I didnt have this yesterday. When the bike is not moving and in neutral the sound is not there, 1st gear nothing, 2nd gear it starts. Listened to the engine on neutral some slightly similar but barely noticeable sound coming from the front of the engine, which Iam not too fussed about but while driving it is at the back.

What can this be? is it the chain? does it needs more lubing or is it the brakes? Tried to listen a bit when driving seems to be coming from right side of the wheel.

P.S Starting to wonder if my luck to get this bike so fast had something to do with it.

Edited by sup3r1or