Unesco Praises Thai Government's Tablet Policy

webfact

In the future children will develop early attention deficit disorder that prevents them from any communication skills necessary in the new globalized international world.

Their heads will be stuck forever in those tablets, as they develop an infinite addiction for these things that they cannot live without ever since there is IPhone and co.

Other than that children are gonna become really fat and create a lazy attitude of complacency which is gonna be very dangerous for their health…

But Yingluck has only one word for you: "thank you for your votes, and now screw you"... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes quite, the in depth analysis and detailed report is truly exceptional!

I particularly like the points that all teachers are pc/ internet mumpties (some sort of maternal numpty perhaps?) and that students need training (err really?) but apparently have pointed out that the tablets are for work and not games?! I won't pretend I followed the meaning of that one, just like the poster won't pretend that these points aren't entirely fabricated speculative BS with no grounding in reality!

Parents unable to participate in homework because the students can't bring the tablets home?! What? I thought your position was that these tablets were useless, now their unable to perform homework without them?! What a turn around! Can't recall ever being allowed to take a desktop home from school either but it didn't stop me doing homework or introducing me to the dawn of the PC age, a stepping stone to a highly successful career in technology...

As far as electricity in schools, while I am sure there are some that don't, as there are in most developing countries, I am yet to see one personally. Of course if they haven't got electricity or the ability to purchase mains extension leads/ increase the number of sockets, that's entirely a failing of this tablet scheme and not previous administration's total side lining of the poverty stricken rural areas!!!

I needed an extra few sockets in my office, a trip to Keehin and an hour later I had 10 working sockets in place of two... hardly rocket science and with the tiny load these tablets draw charging it's hardly a major issue.

Yes Buchholz I'd have to agree an excellent summary on par with your own in depth analysis of the subject, burn the witch that suggested this scheme! I expect the flooding will be a side effect of tablet manufacture next! wai.gif

A good example of

entirely fabricated speculative BS with no grounding in reality!

is

previous administration's total side lining of the poverty stricken rural areas!!!

A good example of

is

previous administration's total side lining of the poverty stricken rural areas!!!

As evidenced by the overwhelming voting support they garnered in these areas and the complete electrical infrastructure they passed on to the current administration... coffee1.gif

Where has all this meandering around the topic of extension leads, Abhisit's alleged failings re free school uniforms (yawn yawn), civil service obstruction and general inability to use the tablets effectively, got us?

The Government promised free tablet computers to 2 sets of pupils which they are delivering on.

The Government doesn't appear to have implemented a policy to use them effectively, so currently they are a gimmick.

The Civil Service as administrators don't appear to have anything to block, let alone implement

Unesco seem to have only 'read the first line', ie the provision of the tablets, rather than concern themselves re what benefit they are to Thai students, let alone Thailand.

So, is Unesco's policy to dump 1 tablet per child across the globe and achieve worldwide academic excellence?

Edited by Noistar

As evidenced by the overwhelming voting support they garnered in these areas and the complete electrical infrastructure they passed on to the current administration... coffee1.gif

So, there are no "poverty stricken rural areas" south of Bangkok?

And it is quite disappointing that the Democrats didn't solve the world's problems in the 2 years they were in power.

Of course, the fact that one of the previous Education ministers (oh, who was that? ... that's right!! ... Thaksin!) didn't solve some of these issues in the 5 years while he was in power can be ignored too.

So, overall

and

evidenced by the overwhelming voting support they garnered in these areas

is

• Like 1

That would be an extension lead and not an electrical socket... like I say it's really not rocket science but I guess for the technologically challenged among us, it's not so easy to understand.

Correctly rated breaker wired with appropriately sized cable to sockets. In event of overload the breaker will trip (by it's very nature it is designed to protect the cable and prevent fire). I personally like to use RCDs for added protection but as most of your homes and offices have no earth wire and if they do they won't be connected to a suitable earth anyway, I wouldn't concern yourself too much... unless that is a picture of an extension lead in your home which would signify a distinctly dangerous electrical installation.

Personally I like to ensure the safety of my colleagues and family by learning about such things and checking them myself.wai.gif

Personally I've mostly seen this type of solution upcountry

post-58-0-84348600-1347450197_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-24293800-1347450207_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So, there are no "poverty stricken rural areas" south of Bangkok?

Have I ever said there weren't?! Far less than in the traditionally rural North of the country however...

And it is quite disappointing that the Democrats didn't solve the world's problems in the 2 years they were in power.

Yes, it would be a bit much to expect from a single administration to acomplish in a short space of time wouldn't it?!

Of course, the fact that one of the previous Education ministers (oh, who was that? ... that's right!! ... Thaksin!) didn't solve some of these issues in the 5 years while he was in power can be ignored too.

Yes overall the performance in this regard has been pretty shocking by all previous administrations, that was really the point, rather than dragging this into yet another Red/ Yellow, Thaksin/ Abhisit slanging match. I should have moved the s and said "previous administrations' total side lining of the poverty stricken rural areas".

It seems a bit irrational to blame all the current issues with the education system on the current Government or this tablet scheme. Equally irrational to deprive the majority because the minority have been marginalised by previous administrations. Yes these schools need to be brought into the 21st century and let's hope that happens.

The point that many seem to be missing here is it's far too early to assess the benefits and drawbacks of tablets within the school system or the implementation of this scheme. The usual suspects are so quick to jump in and spatter any thread with negativity, writing off any and everything before anyone has time to judge for themselves. Shame.

Edited by Ferangled

<snip>

It seems a bit irrational to blame all the current issues with the education system on the current Government or this tablet scheme. Equally irrational to deprive the majority because the minority have been marginalised by previous administrations. Yes these schools need to be brought into the 21st century and let's hope that happens.

The point that many seem to be missing here is it's far too early to assess the benefits and drawbacks of tablets within the school system or the implementation of this scheme. The usual suspects are so quick to jump in and spatter any thread with negativity, writing off any and everything before anyone has time to judge for themselves. Shame.

Except that it is the current government that is implementing a OTPC policy when in many areas there isn't the infrastructure to support it. Cart before horse stuff.

Personally I've mostly seen this type of solution upcountry

Well I guess there's no accounting for human stupidity.

The real issue here being that differing plug/ socket sizes & types, inferior quality mains extensions/ blocks, general lack of adequate earthing, commonly mismatched cable/ breaker sizes and human stupidity make for quite a lethal combination.

It really does come down to basic common sense; an hour or so's work, a few hundred baht on a breaker, outlet socket and cable or an inferior extension socket/ block and potential fire hazard... the choice, as they say, is yours wai.gif

I agree that iPhones are probably a non-starter due to financial considerations.

Perhaps OTP10C program ScoPad tablet manufacturer, Shenzhen Scope, also makes mobile phones and can get the contract to supply... a ScoPhone? .... to pre-K's next year.

Think of it this way...now all these tablets have been handed out, households will now be able to receive up to date information about flooding very quickly, another plus for the program...provided they have wifi at home of course...rolleyes.gif

Or even electricity for that matter.

<snip>

Except that it is the current government that is implementing a OTPC policy when in many areas there isn't the infrastructure to support it. Cart before horse stuff.

Many areas actually meaning few, remote areas actually meaning the distinct minority while infrastructure being mains power to charge the batteries... so we're back to depriving the majority population because of the minority?

Would it not be better to gradually implement the scheme while undertaking the necessary infrastructure improvements to the remote areas without power? The scheme by it's very nature is driving these improvements and advancement into the modern world, bringing power and internet access to areas that never had it.

Will it happen over night? No, clearly these changes take time to implement and only time will tell how positive or negative this scheme proves.

The point that many seem to be missing here is it's far too early to assess the benefits and drawbacks of tablets within the school system or the implementation of this scheme.

No, it's not too early to assess the implementation to date.

Somehow simply pointing out these shortcomings in the implementation that have already occurred is unfair. :rolleyes:

Pointing out that less than 2% of pledged tablets have been delivered and that even those are fourth months late is somehow unjust.

How long should we be expected to wait before evaluating any aspect of implementation? Wait until it's completed?

btw, I'm fine with another look at the implementation a year from now and 2 years in for the scheme. I hope the numbers aren't similar to this Year 1 end date for implementation.

Thats all we need,.. patronising Politically Correct comments from UNESCO that will only encourage more stupid Dep Ed policies.

Haven't they bothered to perform a fuller investigation to reveal what a monumental disaster the 1-tab-per-kid has been and is inevitably going to end up like once they realize what an untenable program it really is?

• Teachers that are complete PC/Internet mumpties!
  • Students that need training on such tools and have pointed out that the tabs are meant for work and not playing games on.
  • Parents that cannot participate in homework that the student may need help with because all tabs are kept at school.
  • Schools that don't have the electrical resources to recharge batteries
  • Schools that don't even have any electrical power at all

Someone should tap the UNESCO rep on the shoulder and tell him/her that it was purely a vote buying populist program that was not researched at all and that praise is the last thing they should be offering!

Excellent summary.

Yes quite, the in depth analysis and detailed report is truly exceptional!

I particularly like the points that all teachers are pc/ internet mumpties (some sort of maternal numpty perhaps?) and that students need training (err really?) but apparently have pointed out that the tablets are for work and not games?! I won't pretend I followed the meaning of that one, just like the poster won't pretend that these points aren't entirely fabricated speculative BS with no grounding in reality!

Parents unable to participate in homework because the students can't bring the tablets home?! What? I thought your position was that these tablets were useless, now their unable to perform homework without them?! What a turn around! Can't recall ever being allowed to take a desktop home from school either but it didn't stop me doing homework or introducing me to the dawn of the PC age, a stepping stone to a highly successful career in technology...

As far as electricity in schools, while I am sure there are some that don't, as there are in most developing countries, I am yet to see one personally. Of course if they haven't got electricity or the ability to purchase mains extension leads/ increase the number of sockets, that's entirely a failing of this tablet scheme and not previous administration's total side lining of the poverty stricken rural areas!!!

I needed an extra few sockets in my office, a trip to Keehin and an hour later I had 10 working sockets in place of two... hardly rocket science and with the tiny load these tablets draw charging it's hardly a major issue.

Yes Buchholz I'd have to agree an excellent summary on par with your own in depth analysis of the subject, burn the witch that suggested this scheme! I expect the flooding will be a side effect of tablet manufacture next! wai.gif

"successful career in technology..."

is not equal to sound human reasoning.

Instead of ridiculing a sensible well thought out post you might want to reread the EarthAlien post.

You need not fear losing your job because the tech industries will continue to grow weather the kids get a pad or not.

How long should we be expected to wait before evaluating any aspect of implementation? Wait until it's completed?

Yes that would seem sensible wouldn't it! Would you evaluate a runner's performance in a 1500m race after only 50m had been covered...

btw, I'm fine with another look at the implementation a year from now and 2 years in for the scheme. I hope the numbers aren't similar to this Year 1 end date for implementation.

Great, looking forward to a welcome respite from your overly negative and repetitive posts on this subject and a more balanced evaluation in a years time when we've all had a chance to see how the scheme has actually progressed wai.gif

"successful career in technology..."

is not equal to sound human reasoning.

Instead of ridiculing a sensible well thought out post you might want to reread the EarthAlien post.

You need not fear losing your job because the tech industries will continue to grow weather the kids get a pad or not.

Sorry Hellodolly, my response does read back quite scathing but reading through the original post again I'm afraid my opinion hasn't changed.

You are quite correct in your closing statement, the tech industry will continue to grow regardless of the advancements or lack of in Thai schools. Of course if we deprive the majority of Thai students from keeping up with modern technology trends (because the distinct minority require basic infrastructure improvement before they can take advantage of them), the void between the actual abilities of Thai school leavers and the necessary skills required in the work place will simply grow.

Let me try to address the points clearly for you to respond as to what you don't agree with when I say this is somewhat lacking as a critical assessment:

• Teachers that are complete PC/Internet mumpties!

Clearly this is a sweeping statement and if that is the case, providing them tablet PCs will only increase their familiarity with the internet and PCs. Personally I prefer not to generalise the entire teaching fraternity of Thailand as "mumpties" and as a starting point in any sort of analysis it's distinctly lacking merit.

• Students that need training on such tools and have pointed out that the tabs are meant for work and not playing games on.

All students need training. That is the very definition of being a student. Sorry the last part lost me, it just doesn't make sense.

• Parents that cannot participate in homework that the student may need help with because all tabs are kept at school.

Just a wild assumption. Homework doesn't have to be exclusively done on tablets indeed that would seem rather crazy. There are numerous uses for the tablets as learning aids, they aren't intended to replace all conventional methods over night. Surely we are all familiar with "computer rooms" at schools, and the fact that these weren't available for students to take home with them.

• Schools that don't have the electrical resources to recharge batteries

This is a distinct minority of schools and upgrading existing circuits to cater for more sockets is no major issue. The current draw of one of these devices on charge is minute.

• Schools that don't even have any electrical power at all

Again, a distinct minority of schools, why hold back the majority of students' advancement while necessary infrastructure upgrades are carried out for the minority?

For me it's quite telling that Buchholz immediately praised it as an "excellent summary" because in essence it supports his view - anything and everything this Government does is worthy of condemnation, facts and reality be damned. It is quite categorically not an excellent summary for the very reasons I have outlined above; in my honest opinion it's a few sweeping statements with a distinct lack of reasoning.

• Like 1

begin removed ...

Free school uniforms don't help you learn about the modern world.

True, but if school uniforms are required and cost money and 99% of school children don't have a tabletPC yet, but still need to buy books, lots of parents are upset about the subsidy on both removed.

Last year when k. Abhisit was on the campaign trail in Bangkok a (red-shirt) lady complaint that the school uniform subsidy was not enough to cover the expenses. Go figure.ermm.gif

So, let's start a campaign against school uniforms ?

If you feel that strongly about it go ahead.

Now, if the school uniform subsidy is not enough to cover the expenses of a school uniform surely that means that there is no such thing as free school uniforms - so does that mean that a lot of dem supporters on this forum have been telling porkies about one of abhisits greatest achievements?

Don't know about the porkies, but it seems school uniforms were never free, but there was a government subsidy. This subsidy has been cancelled as far as I know together with a cancellation of a subsidy for schoolbooks.

"The government's subsidy for uniforms is Bt300 for pre-school level, Bt360 for primary, Bt450 for lower secondary and Bt500 for upper secondary levels, while school supplies are subsidised at a rate of Bt200 for pre-school level, Bt390 for primary, Bt420 lower secondary and Bt460 for upper secondary."

http://www.thaivisa....ve-parents-say/

How very informative. Could you also tell us how much of that money ends up in teachers' pockets?

I agree that iPhones are probably a non-starter due to financial considerations.

Perhaps OTP10C program ScoPad tablet manufacturer, Shenzhen Scope, also makes mobile phones and can get the contract to supply... a ScoPhone? .... to pre-K's next year.

Think of it this way...now all these tablets have been handed out, households will now be able to receive up to date information about flooding very quickly, another plus for the program...provided they have wifi at home of course...rolleyes.gif

Didn't you mean disinformation?

Yes that would seem sensible wouldn't it! Would you evaluate a runner's performance in a 1500m race after only 50m had been covered...

Yes, I would evaluate his performance at the 50 meters mark if he had fallen down at the start and had a compound fracture of his tibia as a result. ;)

Edited by Buchholz

Additionally, the UNESCO has set up a Mobile Education Learning project, using mobile phone as a tool to increase literacy rate. Ms Bokova said around February next year, a meeting will be held among member countries to discuss ways to efficiently use mobile phones as education tools.

I'm an old fart I know, but those mobile phone screens are a bit too much for these old eyes, and my fingers to big for tapping small fields. Now kids tend to have better eyes, but all that staring may have some side effects. Even using a tabletPC for more than one/two hours at a time may be unhealthy. ermm.gif

Will there be a One iPhone Per Child scheme next year?

I think you mean election.

begin removed ...

Free school uniforms don't help you learn about the modern world.

True, but if school uniforms are required and cost money and 99% of school children don't have a tabletPC yet, but still need to buy books, lots of parents are upset about the subsidy on both removed.

Last year when k. Abhisit was on the campaign trail in Bangkok a (red-shirt) lady complaint that the school uniform subsidy was not enough to cover the expenses. Go figure.ermm.gif

So, let's start a campaign against school uniforms ?

If you feel that strongly about it go ahead.

Now, if the school uniform subsidy is not enough to cover the expenses of a school uniform surely that means that there is no such thing as free school uniforms - so does that mean that a lot of dem supporters on this forum have been telling porkies about one of abhisits greatest achievements?

Don't know about the porkies, but it seems school uniforms were never free, but there was a government subsidy. This subsidy has been cancelled as far as I know together with a cancellation of a subsidy for schoolbooks.

"The government's subsidy for uniforms is Bt300 for pre-school level, Bt360 for primary, Bt450 for lower secondary and Bt500 for upper secondary levels, while school supplies are subsidised at a rate of Bt200 for pre-school level, Bt390 for primary, Bt420 lower secondary and Bt460 for upper secondary."

http://www.thaivisa....ve-parents-say/

So quite a few abhisit supporters have been telling porkies. I can't wait for the apologies to start appearing.

Without proper implementation, the concept is a meaningless waste.

In case it's helpful here is the UNESCO address

No need.

If they thought the implementation of the concept was worthy of praise, they would have included that in the fluffy praise of OP regarding the concept.

Their lack of making any mention beyond the concept would indicate they're at least aware of the abysmal follow-on.

Or it could mean what I said in the first place. Generally if a report is going to say something it would be included, not left out so that the recipient can guess on what was meant by the unsaid.

Your cup is not only half full but its got an big hole in the bottom.

In the future children will develop early attention deficit disorder that prevents them from any communication skills necessary in the new globalized international world.

Their heads will be stuck forever in those tablets, as they develop an infinite addiction for these things that they cannot live without ever since there is IPhone and co.

Other than that children are gonna become really fat and create a lazy attitude of complacency which is gonna be very dangerous for their health…

Oh dear - I am sure I heard all the same tired old platitudes when TV was introduced in my native country.

Without proper implementation, the concept is a meaningless waste.

In case it's helpful here is the UNESCO address

No need.

If they thought the implementation of the concept was worthy of praise, they would have included that in the fluffy praise of OP regarding the concept.

Their lack of making any mention beyond the concept would indicate they're at least aware of the abysmal follow-on.

Or it could mean what I said in the first place. Generally if a report is going to say something it would be included, not left out so that the recipient can guess on what was meant by the unsaid.

Your cup is not only half full but its got an big hole in the bottom.

Your cup is nothing but a hole.

In a discussion of concept (called initiative in your post) versus implementation (called logistics in your post) that you quote, your earlier post said UNESCO doesn't care about implementation, only the concept.

In my quoted post above, I said they more than likely know the implementation is &lt;deleted&gt; but they do praise the concept.

Our post say essentially the same thing.

Bickering for bickering sake now, are you?

Amazing Thaivisa time again.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

The world moves on

"Toys 'R' Us unwraps $150 Tabeo tablet for kids

Offering parental controls, the $150 kid-friendly 7-inch Tabeo tablet goes on sale October 21 but can be pre-ordered now.

The device comes with 50 preloaded games, books, and educational apps and offers access to 6,000 more apps through the Tabeo Store.

In a nod to kids, the tablet is protected by a drop-safe bumper. And for their parents, specific controls are available to block objectionable Web sites."

http://news.cnet.com...ablet-for-kids/

And now school staff and their own fun:

"The school that swapped its laptops for iPads… and wants to switch back

There have been several well-publicised stories of schools bringing iPads into the classroom. However, a PC Pro reader has got in touch with a cautionary tale from the other side of the fence.

The reader, who asked not to be identified, is an ICT co-ordinator at a secondary school. He tells how his “image-conscious” headmaster was seduced by a scheme that allowed all the school’s staff to replace their laptop computers with an iPad 2."

http://www.pcpro.co....to-switch-back/