Unesco Praises Thai Government's Tablet Policy

webfact

Without proper implementation, the concept is a meaningless waste.

No need.

If they thought the implementation of the concept was worthy of praise, they would have included that in the fluffy praise of OP regarding the concept.

Their lack of making any mention beyond the concept would indicate they're at least aware of the abysmal follow-on.

Or it could mean what I said in the first place. Generally if a report is going to say something it would be included, not left out so that the recipient can guess on what was meant by the unsaid.

Your cup is not only half full but its got an big hole in the bottom.

Your cup is nothing but a hole.

In a discussion of concept (called initiative in your post) versus implementation (called logistics in your post) that you quote, your earlier post said UNESCO doesn't care about implementation, only the concept.

In my quoted post above, I said they more than likely know the implementation is <deleted> but they do praise the concept.

Our post say essentially the same thing.

Bickering for bickering sake now, are you?

Amazing Thaivisa time again.

Our posts do not "say essentially the same thing".

Amazing buchhholz time again taking bits of posts, adding to them, turning them round and discussing whats left. I wasn't discussing concept versus implementation, your post was the only one that brought implementation in to this thread.(edit to add into this thread of our posts - I know just how pedantic you are, somebody else could have mentioned implementation and we would be off in a whirlpool of buchholz posts)

I said

"Well the reason that UNESCO praises this initiative is because it is that - the first steps on the way to introduce schoolchildren to computers at an early age and as they said "technology is important in this rapidly changing world".

This is the first Thai government to at least get a computer technology project off the ground. That's what UNESCO are praising - they're not interested in the logistics, or as obsessed with them as you and your fanboys are."

Why would UNESCO be interested in implementation? They would be interested in that only if they were paying for the project . They are not, so they praise the fact that this Thai government has done more than any government before it and introduced an IT element at an early stage and quite rightly should be praised for doing so.

But thats not good enough for you having someone like UNESCO praising a PTP government, is it? No, you've already spent time and effort ridiculing the delivery dates and batteries and electricity supplies etc. and you need to project this negativity onto everybody else, as though it's a normal thing to do.

And why is it that if anybody posts something that disagrees with your viewpoint you call it bickering - is it a mod attention seeking thing or what?

Edited by phiphidon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our posts do not "say essentially the same thing".

Amazing buchhholz time again taking bits of posts, adding to them, turning them round and discussing whats left. I wasn't discussing concept versus implementation, your post was the only one that brought implementation in to this thread.(edit to add into this thread of our posts - I know just how pedantic you are, somebody else could have mentioned implementation and we would be off in a whirlpool of buchholz posts)

I said

"Well the reason that UNESCO praises this initiative is because it is that - the first steps on the way to introduce schoolchildren to computers at an early age and as they said "technology is important in this rapidly changing world".

This is the first Thai government to at least get a computer technology project off the ground. That's what UNESCO are praising - they're not interested in the logistics, or as obsessed with them as you and your fanboys are."

Why would UNESCO be interested in implementation? They would be interested in that only if they were paying for the project . They are not, so they praise the fact that this Thai government has done more than any government before it and introduced an IT element at an early stage and quite rightly should be praised for doing so.

But thats not good enough for you having someone like UNESCO praising a PTP government, is it? No, you've already spent time and effort ridiculing the delivery dates and batteries and electricity supplies etc. and you need to project this negativity onto everybody else, as though it's a normal thing to do.

And why is it that if anybody posts something that disagrees with your viewpoint you call it bickering - is it a mod attention seeking thing or what?

The topic refers to an 'initiative'.

Providing hardware to students cannot be an educational 'initiative' if that is all there is.

Unesco are commenting at an educational level (I hope), which is why I believe their assessment is premature.

The ruling party have started the ball rolling. Whether it gathers any substance remains to be seen.

The success or not of this 'initiative' is down to the ruling party. Forget gimmicks, let's see an implementation to give the students the significant educational benefits which the technology is able to give.

Why would UNESCO be interested in implementation?

Because the concept is nothing without it.

Any country's government any where in the world can conceive a concept such as the OTP10C scheme.

Wonderful. Yingluck's government got the concept (or as you posted the "initiative") down. Great.

Enter UNESCO. Gives "praise" for the concept/initiative.

Now then. Enter reality AKA implementation. It's piss-poor.

End result: a fluff OP that praises concept and completely ignores the meat and potatoes of implementation because they know it's <deleted>.

As for the bickering. There's plenty of proof in the stacks of deleted posts of these sessions.

I can understand you have your own lengthy issues with moderation, but posts don't get deleted because someone disagrees with my viewpoint. ;)

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Additionally, the UNESCO has set up a Mobile Education Learning project, using mobile phone as a tool to increase literacy rate. Ms Bokova said around February next year, a meeting will be held among member countries to discuss ways to efficiently use mobile phones as education tools.

I'm an old fart I know, but those mobile phone screens are a bit too much for these old eyes, and my fingers to big for tapping small fields. Now kids tend to have better eyes, but all that staring may have some side effects. Even using a tabletPC for more than one/two hours at a time may be unhealthy. ermm.gif

Will there be a One iPhone Per Child scheme next year?

I think that the i-phones & i-pads are just going to members of the government?

jb1

Why would UNESCO be interested in implementation?

Because the concept is nothing without it.

Any country's government any where in the world can conceive a concept such as the OTP10C scheme.

Wonderful. Yingluck's government got the concept (or as you posted the "initiative") down. Great.

Enter UNESCO. Gives "praise" for the concept/initiative.

Now then. Enter reality AKA implementation. It's piss-poor.

End result: a fluff OP that praises concept and completely ignores the meat and potatoes of implementation because they know it's <deleted>.

As for the bickering. There's plenty of proof in the stacks of deleted posts of these sessions.

I can understand you have your own lengthy issues with moderation, but posts don't get deleted because someone disagrees with my viewpoint. wink.png

You sure about that?

• Like 1

I hope the Thai education system changes to allow benefits to be obtained.

My step-daughter has just changed schools after 2 years of concentrated effort to ensure she obtained a place at her chosen school.

I have just been enlightened as to how 'Thai culture' fails to provide a worthwhile education.

The teachers seem to be delivering a lesson rather than teaching. Writing on the board and rubbing it off before the students have finished writing notes is an example.

This is even more worrying when the students feel unable to ask questions.

My step- daughter was horrified at my suggestion that I'd talk to the school, saying she wouldn't be able to stay at the school if I did.

So why am I paying for her not to receive an education?

Thailand can have as many initiatives as they want, but they are worthless unless Thailand wants it's population to be educated, rather than receive lessons.

As was posted a while ago in a different thread, it doesn't seem to limit the amount of paper doled out to smartly-dressed university 'graduates'.

ASEAN might be a wake-up call. Doubt it. Nothing seems to penetrate the ability of Thailand to believe itself right.