True Vision - Alternative Viewing-Satellite Etc

UbonOz

I am out in the sticks, so an internet streaming connection is out of the question.

I am looking at getting true vision, apart from the price difference, can anyone advise which package is better.....Platinum...Gold....Gold Lite?

The main reason I am looking for is, to watch golf and probably some other sports......not that interested in soccer.

I know the obvious answer is the number of channels, but what I am asking is.......are the extra channels worthwhile or just a waste of time and money?

Cheers in advance.

I'm in the sticks to. I'm on Gold, mainly for BBC news and The F1 races. It covers my needs. I had Platinum when BBC Entertainment was on, I understand for a bit extra you can get additional programming without taking Platinum

On Gold - BBC Entertainment 170 Baht extra a month.

Edited by Tafia

Be aware that if you choose the Gold Package you will have to pay extra for HD Channels.

If you want to watch F1 in HD you will need the full HD package at around 450 Baht extra.

Not much more expensive to get the Platinum package that includes all the HD channels.

Too many extras and add ons.

If you want The Premier League and a few movies plus F1 in my view it is great value.

I can watch my team's games live, every match.

Everything else is a load of old tosh.

Thanks for the replies Mosha and changmaikelley, I guess I'm leaning towards Gold, yet I see so many people rubbishing TrueVisions, it still leaves doubts in my head.......but I feel I don't really have any alternative, as mentioned I don't have a good internet connection.

Any positive feedback out there????

Just get the gold package. You switch the TV on and it's there, no fussing around with computers, connections, drop outs, setting this up with that etc etc. I came here for an easy life so I personally can't be bothered with all that crap and trust me, most people who come on here and rave about having perfect streaming programs, probably in all truth have nothing andd they just like to wind others up! The cost of the gold package is just 50 baht a day, the price of a small Chang. If you can't afford that then don't get it, but if you can, just put 50 baht a day in a tin (you won't miss it), put your feet up and relax whilst watching trouble free viewing.... and if you do have a problem it gets fixed quick. Let them all fiddle with their make believe contraptions.

A large bottle of Chang cost 44 baht in Tesco Lotus, probably the same in 7/11. I realise that some like to drink and be deafened at the same time while warding off the advances of totty on the make. A bottle opener costs just pennies. The savings make paying for TV bearable - just.

I too live in the sticks and while I have internet the speed is far too slow to download TV programs.

I have the gold HD package which gives me all the sports channels and covers most major sports. I also have movies though do not tend to watch them that much. Diva Universal and AXN are two reasonable channels to watch plus I like the National Geographic, History & Discovery channels which I watch most of the time when there is nothing on the sports channels I want to watch. Never bother with the radio but it is there for those who want it.

Not a patch on Sky in the UK but though not great value for the money, it is the best available for now.

Looked into the Platinum package and not worth the extra money in my opinion.

I too live in the sticks and while I have internet the speed is far too slow to download TV programs.

I have the gold HD package which gives me all the sports channels and covers most major sports. I also have movies though do not tend to watch them that much. Diva Universal and AXN are two reasonable channels to watch plus I like the National Geographic, History & Discovery channels which I watch most of the time when there is nothing on the sports channels I want to watch. Never bother with the radio but it is there for those who want it.

Not a patch on Sky in the UK but though not great value for the money, it is the best available for now.

Nothing on sports channels?

It has the best Premier League coverage I've ever seen, with repeats the next day. International football, La Liga, Superbikes, Formula 1, Major Tennis Opens, Golf (Ryder Cup soon), NFL, Rugby, Boxing, Wrestling, great Olympics but alas no Cricket.......what sports do you actually like....if any?

You think Diva is a good watch?.......................geeze,sick.gif I guess I know why you don't watch sports.

Nothing on sports channels?

It has the best Premier League coverage I've ever seen, with repeats the next day. International football, La Liga, Superbikes, Formula 1, Major Tennis Opens, Golf (Ryder Cup soon), NFL, Rugby, Boxing, Wrestling, great Olympics but alas no Cricket.......what sports do you actually like....if any?

You think Diva is a good watch?.......................geeze,sick.gif I guess I know why you don't watch sports.

Quite right. Truevisions provides superb all-round sports coverage - you also missed out its coverage of other US sports like Major League Baseball, college football, NBA, MLS etc. Like some others, I can't be bothered downloading from the internet - when I get home from work it's just collapsing on the sofa and switching on the box.

@ uptheos.....Rooo.....and Pormax,

Thanks for the feedback guys, makes me feel a little more comfortable about getting True Vision now.

Cheers.

I said they are deleting / cancelling the radio channel, just making sure you didn't misunderstand me.

The music channel cancellation is another cutback , they say the contract has finished and it appears that they are not renewing it . I used to use this program as background music , but after Sept - Oct no more .

I'm also thinking about cancelling UBC I'm fed up with the re-runs ..

• 5 weeks later...

For anybody with an android device,you can download "Tune In Radio" from the play store.It's free and there's thousands of channels.As for TV,I'm going to get the upgrade packet from jsat.They also run expat tv.All UK channels live including Sky Sports 1 and 2.

I have PSI at home, I only paid once to buy the package, no monthly fees, but english programming is limited to RT, some movies and christian channels. The only time I have to pay any extra is when I move and want the dish relocated, they have also made provision to air programming from True. Just as an aside, PSI makes all the dishes and set top boxes for True and other providers.

Sent from my GT-I9003

I have PSI at home, I only paid once to buy the package, no monthly fees, but english programming is limited to RT, some movies and christian channels. The only time I have to pay any extra is when I move and want the dish relocated, they have also made provision to air programming from True. Just as an aside, PSI makes all the dishes and set top boxes for True and other providers.

Sent from my GT-I9003

If you can move your dish between satellites you can actually get a few English language channels - not great but better than nothing. These include BBC World Service, Euronews, Al Jeezera News, France 24 News (English), Channel News Asia, Lotus (Macau channel with good English language movies) and the Australia Network. Some of these (like Australia Network and BBC World) are easier to get with a HD receiver. I'm not in Thailand at present, but a couple of months ago I was also getting PTV Sports with quite a lot of live EPL football (without internet connection or too much naughtiness).

Another alternative to True is a (semi) legitimate subscription to a service from a neighouring country. The bigger satellite dealers have several options. Skynindo doesn't look bad value. One of the forum sponsors has details on his website:

http://www.jsat.tv/

Edited by citizen33