Police Action On Samui

Just so everyone is aware the Police are out in force at the moment. Heavy presence in Green Mango 2am this morning and I was stopped twice at road blocks in Chongmon and then in Plai Laem. Nothing heavy handed but checking licences and vehicle papers.

Rumour also has it that certain establishments are being watched very closely for drugs.

Edited by penzman

I was stopped on the dark beachroad behind Mcdonalds in Lamai last night by 6 serious looking coppers, they jumped out and shone a torch on me. I smiled and asked politely in Thai if I could pass by, they reacted to this by giggling alot and saying "poot paasar Thai dai!" and off I went - it must be the sweet innocent air I have about me :o . 5 mins later drove back and they had vanished, weird.

I was stopped on the dark beachroad behind Mcdonalds in Lamai last night by 6 serious looking coppers, they jumped out and shone a torch on me. I smiled and asked politely in Thai if I could pass by, they reacted to this by giggling alot and saying "poot paasar Thai dai!" and off I went - it must be the sweet innocent air I have about me :o . 5 mins later drove back and they had vanished, weird.

Yes, the police (and most other Thai people) still find the concept of a westerner speaking Thai confusing to say the least. At least after the initial surprise, Thai people are then respectful that you have made the effort.

What really throws them is the fact that my Malay wife can't speak Thai but I can, particularly as they instantly assume she's Thai anyway....very amusing.

Oops... off topic (or loosing the thread), back to the police; they do seem to have these purges from time to time and yes, they are weird, particularly the ones who favour cowboy boots and wild west type revolvers)!