Thaksin Should Stay Out Of Thai Politics: Panel Chief

webfact

Thaksin should stay out of Thai politics: panel chief

BANGKOK, Sept 17, 2012 (AFP) - The head of an independent Thai reconciliation panel called on former leader Thaksin Shinawatra to stay out of the country's turbulent politics ahead of a key report on deadly 2010 protests Monday.

Former attorney general Kanit Nanakorn said the kingdom's current Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should be left to run the country without interference from her brother Thaksin, who was ousted in a military coup and lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption.

"I think that Thaksin should stop his role in politics," Kanit said in an interview aired on Thai television Monday, adding that Yingluck had "worked well" and he "should let her manage Thailand".

The comments come as Kanit's Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand (TRCT) prepare to release its final report on the country's worst political violence in decades two years ago.

More than 90 people died in clashes between the army and pro-Thaksin "Red Shirt" demonstrators during the huge Bangkok rallies against the former government, which was swept out of power by Yingluck's party in elections last year.

The violence was the most dramatic manifestation of deep political fissures that have racked Thailand for more than six years, with the ouster of Thaksin by royalist generals in 2006 and crippling mass protests by both the Reds and their establishment-backed rivals, the Yellow Shirts.

Kanit's appointment by the last government, which presided over the Red Shirt crackdown, was originally criticised as a potential "whitewash" by Yingluck's Puea Thai Party.

But the nine-member commission, led by respected legal academic Kanit, has appeared to be prepared to criticise both sides.

Earlier this year it called for reform of the country's extremely sensitive royal insult laws, which rights groups said were used as a political tool by the former government against its critics.

New York-based Human Rights Watch has accused the army of using "excessive and unnecessary lethal force" in the 2010 crackdown. There have been no prosecutions over the killings.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-09-17

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, people should simply stop dragging him into politics.

He personally has said many many times that he is through with politics and will never come back to it.

He started saying that back ion 2006 before the coup and says it 5 or more times a year.

Just Google Thaksin says he will quit politics. There are about 865,000 results.

When will these nobodies realise that it doesn't matter what they say or think about Thaksin, he is not going to listen to them. Thaksin is biding his time now and is happy to do so. He is waiting for THE moment when he will come back here and claim his position of power and at that point he will never let it go again. Plans for a family relocation would not be a wasted exercise ;)

With his sister the head P.M. is Brother n Law one of the head SMUCKS, it is impossible for Khun Thaksin to stay out of Thai Policts.

The only way is to issue and Arrest Warrant Unilateraly to every country Thailand has extradiction.

However, the chances of that happening is as remote as seeing Haley's Comet 2 times in 76 years.

coffee1.gif

This is a simple thing to say,

but while he lives, his ego won't let him back down, till he regains the power he had pre-coup.

speaking of pre-coup....

Feb. 10, 2006

Thai PM vows to fight to death

"I will quit only when the country has no more problems," Thaksin told supporters.

http://www.thaivisa....post__p__639919

===================================================================

roughly a year later....

Jan. 15, 2007

Enough is enough : Thaksin

"After six years in politics, it is time for me to be normal citizens, outside political arena. Enough is enough," Thaksin said.

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry1083564'

Edited by Buchholz

When will these nobodies realise that it doesn't matter what they say or think about Thaksin, he is not going to listen to them. Thaksin is biding his time now and is happy to do so. He is waiting for THE moment when he will come back here and claim his position of power and at that point he will never let it go again. Plans for a family relocation would not be a wasted exercise wink.png

I don't know. His American tour was supposed to show 2 things:

1. He can travel freely: which is correct, except to his beloved home country.

2. He is very popular with Thais, even those living abroad: which is not really true. In fact, he had to cancel his "Great American Tour" because of safety issues.

Don't forget that 60% of Thais probably love him and 40% probably hate him. Not much in between.

I just can't see him walking around in Thailand after what I have seen happening in the US when he showed up.

Many people are very very angry with Thaksin. For them he simply robbed the country empty and when the court convicted him he went on a destruction spree (MANAGED FROM A SAFE HAVEN). Many Thais, especially in Bangkok have suffered greatly because of his selfish actions..

When will these nobodies realise that it doesn't matter what they say or think about Thaksin, he is not going to listen to them. Thaksin is biding his time now and is happy to do so. He is waiting for THE moment when he will come back here and claim his position of power and at that point he will never let it go again. Plans for a family relocation would not be a wasted exercise ;)

Seriously, would you consider leaving Thailand and relocating your family should he return ???

What about others on here ?

When will these nobodies realise that it doesn't matter what they say or think about Thaksin, he is not going to listen to them. Thaksin is biding his time now and is happy to do so. He is waiting for THE moment when he will come back here and claim his position of power and at that point he will never let it go again. Plans for a family relocation would not be a wasted exercise wink.png

Seriously, would you consider leaving Thailand and relocating your family should he return ???

By 'THE moment' do you mean ... huh.png

And yes, please, all you farang here who feel that any return of The Guy Constantly Referred To In The Media, (including this forum) would be a threat to your insignificant presence in this country, do relocate yourselves now. As if it matters who is/is not 'In Power'.

Odious he is, PaPa Doc he is not. Miaow ...

Edited by silsburyhill
  • Like 1

I have heard of certain people making plans to leave under certain circumstances.... but best not dwell on that.

I have heard of certain people making plans to leave under certain circumstances.... but best not dwell on that.

Correct.

I dispute his claim that Yingluck is doing alright on her own for 2 reasons:

1). She isn't doing alright.

2). Thaksin is actually the one (not doing alright) and not this parachuted in non-politician!!!!

I agree, she is not at her best for now.

But this all comes down to that she is under pressure from her brother and the red shirt tugs.

If Thaksin was somehow no longer in the equation, and the red shirt tugs leader was reduced of their power and influence over Yingluck, I think she could do a good job.

But if this scenario was to happen, Abbisith and his fellow politicians would also been able to do a much better job.

The biggest problem for both of the last to governments are the red shirt extremist and Thaksin paying and motivating them. Their way of doing things pave the road for more corruption, first on the top, and then every lower officer under them.

This again makes the whole system rotten and makes it very difficult for every government to do a proper job!

Take Thaksin out of the equation, reduce the red shirts to a workers union, with no direct link to the government and this country will have a much brighter future.

Yes I know I am dreaming thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

but while he lives, his ego won't let him back down, till he regains the power he had pre-coup.

Spoken like a Swahili Spear bearer. Taksin was forcibly removed from office. Taksin, Thailand's legal Prime Minister was elected by a landslide victory in recognition of his substantial achievements in his service to the Thai people.

If you can visualize any grounds on which Taksin could be successfuliy impeached (now on the statute book in Thailand)

I would like very much to hear them.

Spoken like a Swahili Spear bearer. Taksin was forcibly removed from office. Taksin, Thailand's legal Prime Minister was elected by a landslide victory in recognition of his substantial achievements in his service to the Thai people.

If you can visualize any grounds on which Taksin could be successfuliy impeached (now on the statute book in Thailand)

Thaksin is facing several charges regarding corruption, The cases cannot proceed under Thai law until the defendant returns.

I suggest you google to see the cases pending.

• Like 1

At the time he was given the bum's rush, Taksin held no office. He was simply keeping the chair warm up until a new election brought about a new PM. Taksin had created an impasse whereby the election could have only have resulted in such new PM being himself, thus the opposition refused to play ball. The people of Thailand, that is to say the indigenous population entitled to vote and not the likes of you, were heartily sick of him and his maniacal ego and were happy the army, as usual, stepped in. (As an aside, this was, in my view, a huge mistake, they should simply have let him implode).

If you doubt this, ask yourself one question: Why were all his devoted supporters not taking to the streets at the time of his ouster?

Edited by silsburyhill

Thaksin is facing several charges regarding corruption, The cases cannot proceed under Thai law until the defendant returns.

I suggest you google to see the cases pending.

Coup = good.

Thaksin = bad.

Sounds like a scene out of Dr No.

Thailand has been a great place to live. The people are friendly cheaper than a lot of western countries.

It is so excepting of people that it attracts some weirdos and paranoid people not to mention drugs and sex orientated people. If they were not as excepting as they are these people would not have come in the first place so I say have a nice trip to them.

Makes no difference who is Prime Minister they will still want your foreign money and not do any thing to drive you away. Now I admit they are not the brightest people on the face of the earth but I think they are smarter than that. They are not the dumbest either.

I dispute his claim that Yingluck is doing alright on her own for 2 reasons:

1). She isn't doing alright.

2). Thaksin is actually the one (not doing alright) and not this parachuted in non-politician!!!!

I agree, she is not at her best for now.

But this all comes down to that she is under pressure from her brother and the red shirt tugs.

If Thaksin was somehow no longer in the equation, and the red shirt tugs leader was reduced of their power and influence over Yingluck, I think she could do a good job.

But if this scenario was to happen, Abbisith and his fellow politicians would also been able to do a much better job.

The biggest problem for both of the last to governments are the red shirt extremist and Thaksin paying and motivating them. Their way of doing things pave the road for more corruption, first on the top, and then every lower officer under them.

This again makes the whole system rotten and makes it very difficult for every government to do a proper job!

Take Thaksin out of the equation, reduce the red shirts to a workers union, with no direct link to the government and this country will have a much brighter future.

Yes I know I am dreaming thumbsup.gif

Not sure if you could have stated the reality any better.clap2.gif

For sure a five star Anallise of the situation.clap2.gif

At the time he was given the bum's rush, Taksin held no office. He was simply keeping the chair warm up until a new election brought about a new PM. Taksin had created an impasse whereby the election could have only have resulted in such new PM being himself, thus the opposition refused to play ball. The people of Thailand, that is to say the indigenous population entitled to vote and not the likes of you, were heartily sick of him and his maniacal ego and were happy the army, as usual, stepped in. (As an aside, this was, in my view, a huge mistake, they should simply have let him implode).

If you doubt this, ask yourself one question: Why were all his devoted supporters not taking to the streets at the time of his ouster?

"If you doubt this, ask yourself one question: Why were all his devoted supporters not taking to the streets at the time of his ouster? "

Bingo right on the nose. The only picture I saw was of a tank in the street and a little old lady handing up flowers to them.