Thaivisa's General Reputation Amoung Foreigners In Thailand

WebBangkok

OK, as expat's or whatever you want to call yourselves. What responses have you received mentioning Thaivisa?

I don't mention Thaivisa that much I have to admit, but I have mentioned it a number of times over the 3 and a half years I have been in Thailand. The responses I get is usually a shake of the head, roll of the eyes etc. I have never got 1 positive response.

Quite a few people have never even heard of it and others just say it's ok for some Visa info which I guess is it's primary goal of the website. But would not want to post on here, I won't say what exactly, but it's not positive.

So, what do you think of Thaivisa and what is your general response mentioning Thaivisa to others?

As not yet living in Thailand and not yet fluent enough to watch Thai TV, Thaivisa it's one of the best sources of information I found for myself, either for local news (i.e. Pattaya for me), for general news, information about buying condominioums, info about retirement procedures, or then all the Thailand news flashes I can get... and I learned how to judge the information I find for usefulness...so it's a really good source of learning

and then of course their is the fun in some of the posts...

That is what I tell people when they ask me where I get information from and in general, there is no head shacking at all, not even with my friends in Thailand.

• Like 2

Most people I know got banned, most regarded it as a status symbol against political correctness. Most of the Thai blogs I used to enjoy are no more, so not much else going as I am not a TV head or a bar fly. At least it is a step up from Stickman, well until I also get booted.

To answer the OP's first part of the question I have found it very useful, especially in a number of the more defined forums.

I do think the general forum could contain a health warning however - like on a packet of cigarettes maybe - not that that ever stopped anyone. I try to treat it as amusement but I do think some people take it all far too seriously.......whistling.gif

I have referred people to specific threads when appropriate and they have generally been happy - it is like most things you just have to be selective.

I am sorry to say that most of my friends think the members are just very poor white males that like to lie how rich they are. Harmless old fools

Agree with you, TV has quite a bad reputation amongst people living in Thailand. I have yet to find someone, including me, who will admit posting here, very low class reputation.

But to be honest, like everybody else, I enjoy reading tabloids in the dentist office but I make sure that the only magazines you'll find in my home are the latest issues of The Economist or the IHT biggrin.png

Edited by JurgenG

I am sorry to say that most of my friends think the members are just very poor white males that like to lie how rich they are. Harmless old fools

Agree with you, TV has quite a bad reputation amongst people living in Thailand. I have yet to find someone, including me, who will admit posting here, very low class reputation.

But to be honest, like everybody else, I enjoy reading tabloids in the dentist office but I make sure that the only magazines you'll find in my home are the latest issues of The Economist or the IHT biggrin.png

Wow, Thai Visa is hi so in my league. You should try reading my stuff on Stick!

• Like 2

What responses have you received mentioning Thaivisa?

About the same as mentioning Facebook.? rolleyes.gif

Although on FB you won't get whining middle-aged men as friends who add something depressing to the threads now do you?

Edited by maxme

yes, i have had a few of my posts removed,sad.png [ go on say it,s no suprise ], i can take it

but do any of you , know of a better thai website,because i dont .

Thai.Visa, is informative and helpful , and for those of us with a sense of humour, enjoyable .

coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

What responses have you received mentioning Thaivisa?

About the same as mentioning Facebook.? rolleyes.gif

Although on FB you won't get whining middle-aged men as friends who add something depressing to the threads now do you?

Who would want "middle-aged men" as friends? rolleyes.gif

One mate used to post a long time ago said, "Full of Alf Garnett-esque bigoted farts who can't see the irony in complaining about immigration back home"

Let me make a wild guess, that mate of yours didn't stop posting voluntarily long time ago whistling.gif

Agree with you, TV has quite a bad reputation amongst people living in Thailand.

It's reputation is piss-poor. This is a forum which tolerates racism, negativity, and the almost constant abuse of Thailand, its culture and its people.

I could give examples, but I can no longer be bothered.

Suffice to say, this forum is laughed at by Thais and scorned by western expats.

Wonder how many negative responses you would have received during the Tsunami updates or last years flooding updates or other similar situations?

I think you'll find that Thais and Thai-speaking expats used MCOT and many other sources.

Expats who don't speak Thai may have used Richard Barrow (on Twitter) et al.

I personally used MCOT and Richard Barrow during the Red Shirt saga in Bangkok.

This is not to denigrate Thaivisa as a source of information. Clearly, the Thaivisa news sections is useful, but it's merely a limited pool of items that are reproduced from other (more frequently updated) sources.

One mate used to post a long time ago said, "Full of Alf Garnett-esque bigoted farts who can't see the irony in complaining about immigration back home"

Let me make a wild guess, that mate of yours didn't stop posting voluntarily long time ago whistling.gif

You're absolutely right but, unlike others who've been permanently banned and reappeared using an alias, my mate wasn't sad and bored enough to return to listen to more vitriolic bile.