U N Human Rights Commissioner Says Thailand Should Try Those Responsible For 2010 Deaths

webfact

Recent events indicate that the momentum for serious inquiries, proper scrutiny of actions / decisions and perhaps indictments and court cases is building.

Perhaps some Dems and Generals might be getting a bit nervous.

Considering that the latest report finding concluded blame on both sides, why is it you only talk about the Dems and Generals getting nervous?

Actually I would be pleased to see those responsible from ALL sides in court, as this ( in my opinion ) is the only way the country can go forwards.

Like said, those from ALL sides.

So far it's only the reds, with luck that will change.

Am I reading you rite.

You are saying the people responsible for ending a terrorist action should be taken to court. What kind of a sentence did you have in mind for them?

If you are saying Abhist should be charged with letting it go on as long as he did I would agree with you.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent events indicate that the momentum for serious inquiries, proper scrutiny of actions / decisions and perhaps indictments and court cases is building.

Considering that the latest report finding concluded blame on both sides, why is it you only talk about the Dems and Generals getting nervous?

Actually I would be pleased to see those responsible from ALL sides in court, as this ( in my opinion ) is the only way the country can go forwards.

Am I reading you rite.

You are saying the people responsible for ending a terrorist action should be taken to court. What kind of a sentence did you have in mind for them?

If you are saying Abhist should be charged with letting it go on as long as he did I would agree with you.

Yes, and the sentence should be decided by the court.

Crowd control by snipers ( er.. marksmen ) is a pretty awful crime.

• Like 2

I wish these people would pull their heads in - it is nothing to do with them, and why would they think they can solve anything by stirring the pot? As already stated - Reds started it, Army/Govt finished it, Reds fired first, Govt retaliated - people got killed whilst the "Police" stood by and watched/supported the Reds. Man oh man this is so screwed up!

You have no idea what you are talking about

Brian read post #26 and you will know what happened. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

djlest gave a account of the whole thing from a ring side seat.

He was an on site eye witness. Not one of those who went down and watched for a hour and then claimed to be experts.

Am I reading you rite.

Yes, and the sentence should be decided by the court.

Crowd control by snipers ( er.. marksmen ) is a pretty awful crime.

Read Post #26 it was a real life account of what went on there. Given the amount of man power and time involved with the whole thing if 10% of what you would have people believe was true the death toll would have been in the thousands.

I wish these people would pull their heads in - it is nothing to do with them, and why would they think they can solve anything by stirring the pot? As already stated - Reds started it, Army/Govt finished it, Reds fired first, Govt retaliated - people got killed whilst the "Police" stood by and watched/supported the Reds. Man oh man this is so screwed up!

Brian read post #26 and you will know what happened. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

He was an on site eye witness. Not one of those who went down and watched for a hour and then claimed to be experts.

so his clearly biased, filled with a venemous hate of red shirt people ("animals"), word is gospel, whereas when nick nostitz posts.... coffee1.gif

god ye guy's are great.

i do genuinely feel sorry that this guy's business was affected by the protests though... obviously it would add a big factor to anyones dislike of the reds.

• Like 2

I think there is a point some people don't get when they compare the deaths from the war on drug and those from the 2010 events.

Thaksin never directly ordered to kill drug traffickers, there was an international trial and he was cleared of this accusation. But when the snippers shot at the crowd, they were under direct order to kill protesters. There was someone who gave a direct order to shoot and kill. And this someone should be bring to justice for murder.

It is very ironic when you have the same posters who ask for international justice when they think, wrongly, that Mr Thaksin is guilty but refuse it when an international body told them it is their beloved leaders. Mr Abhisit and Suthep, who should be tried for murder.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 2

Even Thaksin?

I think there is a point some people don't get when they compare the deaths from the war on drug and those from the 2010 events.

Thaksin never directly ordered to kill drug traffickers, there was an international trial and he was cleared of this accusation.

a couple of things.

1. You're saying Abhisit directly ordered to kill Red Shirts?

2. When and where was there ever an "international trial" that absolved Thaksin in his Drug War?

Looks like Jurgen has just rewritten history. Thaksin, international trial, drug war - he's obviously been hitting The Chang today

I was here during the whole red shirt fiasco, infact i was staying about 20 meters from the front line on Rama 4 road and watched the whole thing from basically within the trenches.

I now see the world in a completely different way, Comments like the UN make, and Freedom for democracy, i realize how easy it is to manipulate the rest of the world to think something completely false.

The soldiers guarded my shop day and night and gave us water which they had plenty of, they even offered us the excess food packages, they were amazing seriously and very professional, calm and collective.

The reds were absolute animals, sharpening bamboo poles and taking over the city, putting up a big sign saying this is a peaceful protest with sharpened bamboo spike fortress is an absolute contradiction.

Blocking the entire business district. Causing chaos and ruining businesses. if you think they were not armed let me tell you as soon as it got to 8pm the thugs were out and about, they were absolutely armed.

I witnessed buses being set on fire, i even saw the reds hijack a taxi and drag him out of the cab and beat him to a pulp. I was also involved in a grenade attack which happened directly above our heads, that in itself started a red riot and even though my passengers fully supported the reds, the minute they saw them all running towards our car they fled in absolute fear. Absolute hypocrites.

The reds started it, i guarantee you that, and they kept it going and going and going, the army was amazingly patient as were the police, they did their best to difuse it but lets face it. When the reds are armed with weapons and refuse to move, Then they bring in children and womnen and pay them all 500 baht a day to protest, well what on earth can any government do to regain control?

They were given 6 weeks then given plenty of warnings to move out because the army have to go in and take back the business district.

But the reds when they lost control to the army they go and set fire to half of Bangkok and innocent peoples businesses and houses.

What kind of behaviour is this exactly? I'm sorry but the Human rights commissioner needs his head removing from his orifice. they were out of control and a danger to all of us and society, they were murderers and looters and needed to be culled.

what choice do they seriously have? To leave them there to take over the whole of Bangkok and put the country in Massive debt. They already cost Billions and for what?

And then after all the mess, the red leaders left the so called innocent stuck in Bangkok with no money left to return to Isarn. Thousands of them were hanging around asking the yellows what should they do?

The Gov had to pay for buses to send them back home, and they found tons of merchandise, watches, jewellery, bags, trainers, and basically stuff that was looted on the buggers.

What about the Law? isn't that a human right too? Are we not entitles to some justice?

The gov acted way to calmly and peaceful to be honest, in any other country it would probably have been a lot more dead that a few hundred, afterall it was a civil war the reds wanted otherwise why would they hijack the business district of bangkok. A peaceful protest could have been set up in the parks not affecting anyones livelihoods or property, that just blatently goes to show how what they wanted was VIOLENCE and Taksin manipulated the reds to do just that.

a peaceful protest in the name of democracy? absolute lie!

Im all for Human rights and i hate governments and corruption and i know that most of what goes on here is just for money. But as a witness to the whole event it was seriously Taksin trying to run for government, trying to regain power at the expense of his pawns. Nothing more and nothing less - the reds are guilty and red handed. What they did they should be ashamed of themselves.

Thank you for sharing. wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Thaksin never directly ordered to kill drug traffickers, there was an international trial and he was cleared of this accusation.

a couple of things.

2. When and where was there ever an "international trial" that absolved Thaksin in his Drug War?

thumbsup.gif

a couple of things.

That would be more BS ... from the usual source.

a couple of things.

granted there was never an international trial, but didn't (abhisit and co - i think that's who it was) try and go after him about it and found no evidence to incriminate him with?

a couple of things.

granted there was never an international trial, but didn't (abhisit and co - i think that's who it was) try and go after him about it and found no evidence to incriminate him with?

I'll wait for JurgenG to explain his post. Perhaps he has knowledge of something others are unaware of.

It was the military junta that went after him.

oh yeah that's right.

abhisit was reopening the probe to get him also in 2010.

though i could cheekily say, i meant the military junta as the 'co' but let's not open that can of worms.

oh yeah that's right.

though i could cheekily say, i meant the military junta as the 'co' but let's not open that can of worms.

He was? You've got a source for that I assume.

oh yeah that's right.

He was? You've got a source for that I assume.

you assume correct.

• Like 1

yeah ok...anyhoo, if anyone is interested in me showing ye said source, just ask me for it in a normal fashion and i'll be happy to oblige.

Well I would like to see it. But even more I would like to know if you weren't hiding behind a keyboard would you be so reluctant to give it up or for that matter even bring it up.

so his clearly biased, filled with a venemous hate of red shirt people ("animals"), word is gospel, whereas when nick nostitz posts.... coffee1.gif

god ye guy's are great.

i do genuinely feel sorry that this guy's business was affected by the protests though... obviously it would add a big factor to anyones dislike of the reds.

You remind me of another red shirt Thaksin lover. He posted like he knew what went on and when asked if he was there or how he would feel if his business was one of those closed down he refused to answer.

But he did carry on about how bad the army and Abhist were and not a word about any thing negative the red shirts did.

Carry on

TRCT REPORT

UN rights chief urges govt to act

The Nation

Geneva

30190728-01.jpeg

GENEVA: -- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on Tuesday welcomed the release of the final report of a commission on the 2010 political violence as a positive step to advance accountability and reconciliation among different segments of Thai society.

A report by the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand (TRCT) - which was set up by the previous government in 2010 - concluded with "substantive findings backed by forensic evidence" and recommendations to bring the perpetrators to justice, Pillay said in Geneva.

The demonstrations in April and May 2010 led to violent protests and ensuing suppression in which 92 people died and thousands were injured. On July 6, 2010, the government established the TRCT with a mandate to seek truth and reconciliation.

"In spite of its limited mandate and initial difficulties, the TRCT has conducted an important investigation into political violence and human rights violations in Thailand," the High Commissioner said. "The Royal Thai Government now has the responsibility to act on the TRCT's recommendations, both in holding state officials to account and addressing the institutional weaknesses identified in the report."

While the final report fails to specify who was responsible for the deaths, it contains serious and substantive findings backed by forensic evidence and recommends urgent action to bring perpetrators to justice. It also contains a number of far-reaching recommendations that could help to advance reconciliation and respect for human rights in Thailand.

In particular, it stresses the importance of the Army remaining neutral in political affairs, the need to strengthen the independence of the judiciary and a proposal to review Article 112 of the criminal code in order to protect freedom of expression in Thailand.

"Making the legal and institutional reforms recommended in the report will strengthen Thai democracy," the High Commissioner noted. "Bringing perpetrators to justice will not only set an important precedent for Thailand but for Southeast Asia as a whole."

Concerns have been raised about the preservation of evidence gathered by the TRCT and Department of Special Investigations. "Safeguarding evidence is essential for the pursuit of accountability," the High Commissioner said, urging the government to take the necessary steps to protect the integrity of the information collected by these institutions.

Another report on the 2010 political violence by the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand is expected shortly, which should provide a further detailed account of human rights violations, Pillay said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-20

• Like 1