Bangkok Hospital Samui

sometimes i wonder if it would be cheaper to weigh ina private doctor on a monthly wage than go into these places.i am sure a doctor would rarther have money in his pocket than money with the compnay business for a bedroom that he gets nothing out of neither does the patient appart from hotel service but that is problamby just to calme one down about the big bill they have had. maybe booking the room is for observation in case one drops down with a hart attack due to extorition prices.

I am hearing good reports re the new clinic opposite Makro

Would you go there with a ruptured appendix?

Maybe the time you took your friend, there was a real emergency going on and the Drs crash team where busy initially ?

Last visit to Uk waited 5 hrs in And E with a mate with a serious head injury despite my own medical background (remote medic etc) and my own insistence he was in trouble they stated as compus mentus he had to wait, only when he eventually went U/C did they bother to rush him in.

Hospitals on Samui are businesses and rely on the average expat / tourist etc having insurance, insurance co's do not bat an eyelid at the charges they make compared to say the states, Bali, Japan etc

Bottom line unless a real emergency people will go to what they perceive as the best hospital as oppose to the nearest , BK Samui has that perception.However we all have a choice yet most still go there (myself included) yup they are expensive when compared to others but to expats at least its no surprise or secret.

Glad to hear your friend recovered Dengue can be nasty and should not be underestimated.

We have one BH also in Hua Hin, pretty new... shining, charming (as an hospital could be...).

They make a huge advertise everywhere, more than Haagen Datz...

Am not surprised it's so overpriced and "money-addicted"... spending hundred thousands just for advertise it make understanding how they will get back the money...

Last year i need to make a blood test too my daughter (3 months at that time), about 2,5 hours for a blood test, with plenty of anestetique on harms (to relief pain, we agree)... at the end they need to take it out from a foot (where anestetique was not spreaded)...

But they billed everything...

At the end was just a few thousands, and compared with european cost was exactly the same of the tickets we pay here...

Considering where we was i thougth it was expensive and too long time for the job...

Next time will consider to use a different one...

wai.gif

Edited by Ciocco

sometimes i wonder if it would be cheaper to weigh ina private doctor on a monthly wage than go into these places.i am sure a doctor would rarther have money in his pocket than money with the compnay business for a bedroom that he gets nothing out of neither does the patient appart from hotel service but that is problamby just to calme one down about the big bill they have had. maybe booking the room is for observation in case one drops down with a hart attack due to extorition prices.

I was actually responding to Big C's post re a private doctor. However, to answer your (cynical?) question.

No I would not. And I would not go to BHS either. God knows how much cash I would have to front up before they treated me, and the most that I can withdraw in one day is 60,000 baht. Yes - I also have insurance. Having insurance did not help my neighbour. Only cash spoke.

AND I have been told that it will be at least a month before I get my 28,000 baht back. This is in spite of the insurance company having now paid ALL bills more than one week ago.

This thread was not started to comment on treatment - but to rather point out the totally mercenary attitude to patients. Even with insurance - no money - no honey. And a long wait to get your money back.

No cash and a ruptured appendix? Put up with the pain until someone bails you out at BHS. Of the two - I would go with the clinic. At leat I would get a painkiller or two.

• Like 2

Let's be sensible here. This is a clinic, not a hospital. Referal would be the case.

I was actually responding to Big C's post re a private doctor. However, to answer your (cynical?) question.

No I would not. And I would not go to BHS either. God knows how much cash I would have to front up before they treated me, and the most that I can withdraw in one day is 60,000 baht. Yes - I also have insurance. Having insurance did not help my neighbour. Only cash spoke.

AND I have been told that it will be at least a month before I get my 28,000 baht back. This is in spite of the insurance company having now paid ALL bills more than one week ago.

This thread was not started to comment on treatment - but to rather point out the totally mercenary attitude to patients. Even with insurance - no money - no honey. And a long wait to get your money back.

No cash and a ruptured appendix? Put up with the pain until someone bails you out at BHS. Of the two - I would go with the clinic. At leat I would get a painkiller or two.

Okay, point taken of clinic. (no painkiller works on a ruptured apendix though) Anyway, everyone only talks about money here, if you have the right insurance (i.e. Bupa) then yes you will be treated, yes the inurance company will pay for all what is included in the plan you bought and yes the company pays first (no need for you to pay and then claim back).

If you dont have the money to buy a suitable inurance then dont complain about the hospital, we all hav echoices. Just because I cant afford a Ferrari makes Ferrari a bad car.....

• Like 1

Okay, point taken of clinic. (no painkiller works on a ruptured apendix though) Anyway, everyone only talks about money here, if you have the right insurance (i.e. Bupa) then yes you will be treated, yes the inurance company will pay for all what is included in the plan you bought and yes the company pays first (no need for you to pay and then claim back).

If you dont have the money to buy a suitable inurance then dont complain about the hospital, we all hav echoices. Just because I cant afford a Ferrari makes Ferrari a bad car.....

Are you saying that BUPA is the policy of choice? You seem to infer that 'we get what we pay for'. That is NOT the case here.

My neighbour was covered under a policy offered by Visa Premium. Now Visa is an internationally accepted credit card business. As all members with this credit card level automatically have this cover, I would have thought that it was reputable. It covers ALL medical expenses whilst travelling.

Visa advised the hospital that all charges would be covered.

I still had to pay in order for treatment to start, and my neighbour was held hostage on check-out until the last day's bill was paid. When I pointed out to the hospital that they still had my 28,000 baht - they finally allowed the patient to be discharged as this more than covered the last day's charges!

Your comment "If you dont have the money to buy a suitable inurance then dont complain about the hospital" is inaccurate as she did have suitable insurance, and I feel that the way that the hospital treated my neighbour does give me the right to complain about the hospital.

^^

Very well said Samui Coconut

Sorry but what is so well put about his/her post? SC seems to be saying that if you have medical insurance you would use Bangkok Samui Hospital which is patently a load of b*llocks.

^^

Very well said Samui Coconut

Sorry but what is so well put about his/her post? SC seems to be saying that if you have medical insurance you would use Bangkok Samui Hospital which is patently a load of b*llocks.

Fair enough, I was merely agreeing on the fact that if you have insurance, you should get treated, which BH proofed is also not the case.

I fully agree that BH is a money making machine and likes to overcharge compared to other options on the island but unfortunately they also have the best equipment available on the island.

That in itself is also relative since I know plenty of cases where treatment or assessments couldn't be made on the island and Surat Thani and/or Bangkok were the alternatives.

Are you saying that BUPA is the policy of choice? You seem to infer that 'we get what we pay for'. That is NOT the case here.

My neighbour was covered under a policy offered by Visa Premium. Now Visa is an internationally accepted credit card business. As all members with this credit card level automatically have this cover, I would have thought that it was reputable. It covers ALL medical expenses whilst travelling.

Visa advised the hospital that all charges would be covered.

I still had to pay in order for treatment to start, and my neighbour was held hostage on check-out until the last day's bill was paid. When I pointed out to the hospital that they still had my 28,000 baht - they finally allowed the patient to be discharged as this more than covered the last day's charges!

Your comment "If you dont have the money to buy a suitable inurance then dont complain about the hospital" is inaccurate as she did have suitable insurance, and I feel that the way that the hospital treated my neighbour does give me the right to complain about the hospital.

Look gentlemen, all I am saying is that I never had a problem neither with BHS nor with my inusrance, nor treatment nor otherwise.......have a great weekend and stay healthy! thumbsup.gif