Moving To Pattaya.. Help With 14 Yo Son

monty1412

Have lived in BKK for a year but moving in with gf down Pattaya way.

Youngest son (14) having some problems back home and decided to bring him over for six months or so.

He does international distance schooling now and plan is to continue this.

Interested to see if there are any groups or clubs of other kids his age where I can steer him to.

Not wanting to introduce him or force him into anything but just thinking about where he can meet some similar age kids.

Into sport and everything like that so anything along that lines would be great.

All suggestions appreciated

Thanks

I would say that if he has never been here before it will be culture shock for him but kids always do ok in most situations. He would be limited to the kids he hangs out with though as he cannot speak Thai.

I think you might need to take him out a LOT to different things like the zoo, Under water world etc to keep him entertained but I also hope that more people can help you here.

If you bring your 14 year old son that has some "issues" it can turn it into a postive 6 months for him. Living overseas can be a great opportunity for you and your son to travel around Thailand and bordering countries to learn about its history, culture, and different kinds of standard of living.Have him read up on the places you're going to and figure out the cost/ budget of the expenses (math). Have him keep a journal to keep up his writing skills. (Have him gain map skills by using Google Earth where he can get an understanding of scale/longitude-latitude/directions/ and location. There is so much he will learn by "doing" than what he could learn in a social studies text book. But it will be up to you to be his "mentor", his teacher to expose him to this wealth of education. He won't learn it by himself. It can also make him realize how fortunate he has it back home in his Western country (especially going to the countryside in Cambodia or Laos.) I think the worse thing you can do is to have him just stay home and "hangout" out watching DVD movies and be on the computer 24-7. He also needs to know that Thailand is more than Pattaya. It is a good idea to see what some of the area international schools offer in after school activities. I am sure they would accept him since many of these schools charge a fee for participating in their programs. Unfortunately,he wouldn't be able to be on their school sport teams, but intramural teams would be acceptable. "Planet Football" is a great place to meet students that speak English and he will have the opportunity to meet kids that come from 5-6 different countries from around the world (Korea, United States,Brazil,Thailand, England...--what a great opportunity for him to meet kids from around the world and get rid of those "stereotypes" that he may have picked up from Hollywood movies. There are also retired teachers in the area that could help your son with his studies (always a battle between parents and the child). You will need to make up a daily program to keep him busy so the six months is NOT wasted. The important focus with your son living with you for six months is to build up his self-esteem and not carry those "negative" feelings he may have inside of him right now. A teenager is in his "middle years" where he isn't a child; yet, not completely adult...it isn't easy growing up at this age and he will need your love and attention for support.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 2

get him into Muay Thai, nothing serious, just fun, excersize and he will learn discipline, make friends and I bet he'll have a good time. It'll keep him off the streets, he'll probably start to love it and live at the gym, something for you to do with him too, bonding, watch him train, maybe hold the pads, valuable father and son time, before you know it he'll be 18 yo and an adult. Just my thoughts.

good luck

• Like 1

If you bring your 14 year old son that has some "issues" it can turn it into a postive 6 months for him. Living overseas can be a great opportunity for you and your son to travel around Thailand and bordering countries to learn about its history, culture, and different kinds of standard of living.Have him read up on the places you're going to and figure out the cost/ budget of the expenses (math). Have him keep a journal to keep up his writing skills. (Have him gain map skills by using Google Earth where he can get an understanding of scale/longitude-latitude/directions/ and location. There is so much he will learn by "doing" than what he could learn in a social studies text book. But it will be up to you to be his "mentor", his teacher to expose him to this wealth of education. He won't learn it by himself. It can also make him realize how fortunate he has it back home in his Western country (especially going to the countryside in Cambodia or Laos.) I think the worse thing you can do is to have him just stay home and "hangout" out watching DVD movies and be on the computer 24-7. He also needs to know that Thailand is more than Pattaya. It is a good idea to see what some of the area international schools offer in after school activities. I am sure they would accept him since many of these schools charge a fee for participating in their programs. Unfortunately,he wouldn't be able to be on their school sport teams, but intramural teams would be acceptable. "Planet Football" is a great place to meet students that speak English and he will have the opportunity to meet kids that come from 5-6 different countries from around the world (Korea, United States,Brazil,Thailand, England...--what a great opportunity for him to meet kids from around the world and get rid of those "stereotypes" that he may have picked up from Hollywood movies. There are also retired teachers in the area that could help your son with his studies (always a battle between parents and the child). You will need to make up a daily program to keep him busy so the six months is NOT wasted. The important focus with your son living with you for six months is to build up his self-esteem and not carry those "negative" feelings he may have inside of him right now. A teenager is in his "middle years" where he isn't a child; yet, not completely adult...it isn't easy growing up at this age and he will need your love and attention for support.

Toenail, this is just superb, you couldn't have encapsulated what Im seeking to do better if I had told you myself... thank you so much.. great thoughts and well expressed.. exactly the ticket . Really brilliant and inspiring to read Cheers and many thanks

get him into Muay Thai, nothing serious, just fun, excersize and he will learn discipline, make friends and I bet he'll have a good time. It'll keep him off the streets, he'll probably start to love it and live at the gym, something for you to do with him too, bonding, watch him train, maybe hold the pads, valuable father and son time, before you know it he'll be 18 yo and an adult. Just my thoughts.

good luck

Breadbin, good thought here and will look into this.. a little bit of physiacl exercise and some discipline thrown in... well worth looking at and thank you for the suggestion

• Like 1

good luck

Breadbin, good thought here and will look into this.. a little bit of physiacl exercise and some discipline thrown in... well worth looking at and thank you for the suggestion

good luck

taikwando