webfact

BANGKOK

Military facilities asked to retain flood water to ease traffic mayhem

NONGNAPAS MAIPANICH,

SURIYAN PANYAWAI

ANUPAN CHANTANA

THE NATION

30191055-01_big.jpg

BANGKOKK: -- The Transport Ministry has floated the idea of having two Bangkok military facilities retain flood water temporarily so commuters can be spared traffic nightmares like those last week.

Downpours submerged many roads, leaving hundreds of thousands of people stuck for hours in gridlock.

Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan said yesterday that Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat had been contacted about the plan to use the Army's 2nd Cavalry Division (King's Guards) base and the Dhupateme Air Force Sports Stadium.

"We will ask them to keep water in their areas during downpours. We have found that Vibhavadi-Rangsit and Phaholyothin roads get swamped because all the agencies along them rush to push rainwater out of their compounds," Chatchart said.

These military units will be requested to lower the level of large ponds and then store rainwater there after cloudbursts.

Transport Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan will talk tomorrow with authorities about solutions to traffic problems in Greater Bangkok, he said.

"The meeting will develop the implementation plan, which will be forwarded to the prime minister within seven days," he said.

Thanawat Jarupongsakul of Chulalongkorn University told a seminar that Bangkok would likely see torrential rain this weekend between Saturday and Monday.

Working for the science faculty's unit for disaster and land information studies, Thanawat believes the best way for Bangkok to avoid a flood disaster this year is to drain most of the water out of its canals.

"There is a very high risk that storms will hit the country in the next two months," he said.

Low-pressure ridges have stagnated over the country for longer than usual, making it impossible for storms to come in so far this year.

"But this means the Central region will get hit by a few storms around October and November just like in 1990, 1996 and 2006," he said.

Bangkok's flood risk this year will be from storms, not run-off from the upper part of the country, he added.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra told the media that the heavy rainfall in the capital from September 4-23 produced 444 million cubic metres of water, or about half of the Pasak Jolasid reservoir.

He said he was impressed with the city's ability to drain all water out of major roads within a few hours of such heavy rain.

However, he offered his apology to areas that stayed flooded longer.

"If the rain is over 60 millimetres per day, it will take time to remove the water," he said.

The Office of the National Water and Flood Management Policy reported that 44 provinces, including Bangkok, Phitsanulok and Prachin Buri, were at risk.

In Phitsanulok, flood waters were nearly 2 metres high at some spots.

In Prachin Buri, many villages were inundated and several roads were made impassable to small vehicles. In Kabin Buri district alone, more than 108 roads were damaged and 12 schools had to close.

The Public Health Ministry warned people against drinking alcohol while half-soaked. Inebriation is blamed for 30 per cent of drowning fatalities during floods, Deputy Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-25

Here we go again, so much for the thing "There will be no floods in Bangkok"

I HAD that feeling all along that October is going to be NASTY whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif The question will be by how much of a degree, Rangsit and Nontaburi, Bang Bua Thong will suffer yet again. My girl-friend is living in Rangsit and part of my relative circle in Bang Bua Thong. I helped them out in deep waters last year, and the day after they found crocodile in my uncle's village in BAng Bua Thong, LOL....

.... that means I was lucky, we were not being eaten the following day, LOL....

So the military bases need to drain their large ponds so that they can store rainwater when it comes.One assumes they will drain these ponds into the main roads then to make way for the rain water....?! So what's difference, flooding from pond water or rain water?

This government have well proven their complete ineptitude.

First we had all the "no flooding in BKK" claims and "promises" and now that flooding seems inevitible we have no clear practical countermeasures that would prove effective.

All we have is a kind of MPR apathetic "panic".

• Like 1

I HAD that feeling all along that October is going to be NASTY whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif The question will be by how much of a degree, Rangsit and Nontaburi, Bang Bua Thong will suffer yet again. My girl-friend is living in Rangsit and part of my relative circle in Bang Bua Thong. I helped them out in deep waters last year, and the day after they found crocodile in my uncle's village in BAng Bua Thong, LOL....

I live in Bang Bua Thong, a bit outside on slightly higher ground. I had 25 cm water in the house and 60-70cm in the streets. However right now i don't worry as much as last year. The flooding is totally different its on the other side. Also Ayuttaya isnt flooded as much as before. As long as the river isnt too high we will be ok here.

I just dont trust the government anymore, bought a pair of waders and keep an eye on other villages that got flooded before us. That is the only way to do it, last year the water came slow it will do the same again.

Plenty of time to respond, the only thing is you could put it all up higher and the flood never reaches you. But if other villages flood that were flooded last year you can be sure your next.

• Like 1

Bangkok's flood risk this year will be from storms, not run-off from the upper part of the country, he added.

Yap, here in Khon Kaen, pouring down every now and then. Judging by my pond, it would only need about 5 days and we would be closer to some kind of overflow. That said, it is dryer in these parts of land. Last year 2 roads out of 3 were unusable. This year, so far, no overwhelming problems. The waters are high but not flooding........YET!

I live in Bang Bua Thong, a bit outside on slightly higher ground. I had 25 cm water in the house and 60-70cm in the streets. However right now i don't worry as much as last year. The flooding is totally different its on the other side. Also Ayuttaya isnt flooded as much as before. As long as the river isnt too high we will be ok here.

I just dont trust the government anymore, bought a pair of waders and keep an eye on other villages that got flooded before us. That is the only way to do it, last year the water came slow it will do the same again.

Plenty of time to respond, the only thing is you could put it all up higher and the flood never reaches you. But if other villages flood that were flooded last year you can be sure your next.

Can we really trust the government, are you serious? Is that even a question?

You know the answer Ro that question right?

If you live downstream to those two monster dams in the north than you should worry less this year. I would say at least 30% of the flood waters that came out of Nakhon Sawan last year originated from emergency released from those two dams. During last year's floods the dams released excessive water under duress. For this year it is very unlikely the dams will have to face the same scenario like last year. The odd, by today, is less than 1/3000 the dams to face similar scenario like last year. Having said that I would say that you were/are going to see the number of flash floods is going to increase. This is collateral damage that they have opted to take when they decided to do with the flood defensive and mitigation strategy as they are currently executing. I hope they aware about this consequence, i.e. more flash floods in return for very low risk of having the big one.

If you live downstream to those two monster dams in the north than you should worry less this year. I would say at least 30% of the flood waters that came out of Nakhon Sawan last year originated from emergency released from those two dams. During last year's floods the dams released excessive water under duress. For this year it is very unlikely the dams will have to face the same scenario like last year. The odd, by today, is less than 1/3000 the dams to face similar scenario like last year. Having said that I would say that you were/are going to see the number of flash floods is going to increase. This is collateral damage that they have opted to take when they decided to do with the flood defensive and mitigation strategy as they are currently executing. I hope they aware about this consequence, i.e. more flash floods in return for very low risk of having the big one.

ResX you also comforted me in an other thread that is why i worry a lot less this year. I did take precautions anyway and i don't really expect it but anything is possible here. I rather be safe then sorry. Last year did prepare me well for the event of any new flooding.

Thank you again for your insight.

do the canals have any economical activity that they keep all the water in there all the time? why not just drain them all to see and keep them as a buffer when it rains, was that not the idea in the first place???

The water in the klongs perform a very, very important public service.

It stops the smell of the sludge underneath from getting out.

You think the klong water smells bad!

.......pathetic.....

OK, here come the simple minds a-la-Plodprasob again. Let's calculate a bit.

If the military have ponds like 500 m x 90 m (see google earth) and we have to store some water in these ponds for saving the streets of Bangkok, then we can store say (in 3 ponds and I even do not know where the 2 others are):

3 x 500 x 90 x 2meters high = 270,000 m3 of water. Of course 2 meters more water is simply not possible, but let's assume it.

Now comes the rain: at 60 mm per day, this corresponds to a water volume downpouring in the Phahon Yothin area of roughly:

10,000m (lenght) x 500m (width) x 0.06 (high) = 300,000 m3 of rainwater downpour. Which means that the military ponds, if they can store 2 meters of water in excess, will be filled up in just one day...

And what about the next day?

Plodprasob logic....

A storm can produce a water volume of 444 million m3!!! This is 444,000,000 m3 or 1,480 times MORE than the military ponds...

A simple calculation does not seem to be an option for the PT politicians.

Remarkable also that the scientist's opinion about the flood, being more and more heard these days, are totally opposite to the politician's opinion. Guess who I believe...

Edited by dude007

This government have well proven their complete ineptitude.

First we had all the "no flooding in BKK" claims and "promises" and now that flooding seems inevitible we have no clear practical countermeasures that would prove effective.

All we have is a kind of MPR apathetic "panic".

Plodprasob and Yingluck are preparing another flood test in the BKK canals. Patented water pushing machines are all over the place. The Government of Bangladesh and the Government of the Maldives have shown interest in these devices...

Still trying to think this through - how can the Kings guard store rainwater? Do the military now control the flood gates and pumps at canals? Maybe some one can elaborate... coffee1.gif

This from the original post. "These military units will be requested to lower the level of large ponds and then store rainwater there after cloudbursts."

Does that answer your question?

"The Public Health Ministry warned people against drinking alcohol while half-soaked."

What does this mean? Is it possible to drink alcohol if 'half-dry' then?

It looks like your taking the mickey out of The Public Health Ministry for bad English and that's not fair.

It's almost certainly a translation of what was said in Thai, so it's quite likely to be the fault of the translator not The Public Health Ministry.

Remember they speak Thai not English.

As I understood it, they're only saying that floods this year, if any, are likely from storms over Bangkok rather than run-offs from the North like last year. They're also saying that so far the city has managed to drain off flood waters faster.

It does seem a bit strange to me why Honda and other Jap manufactures would build there factories in a flood prone area?

I really dont know how many years this flooding problem has been going on, but if its only rainwater why dont they build some real pumping stations? where i lived and worked in east anglia,UK, its below sea level, and most of the stations were built in the 20s/30s, Tydd Gote is a prime example, 1000 tons a minute, no flooding probs,

Its up to the goverment to research and apply,

Have to say as a holiday maker and not a full time ex pat I don't really follow the day to day news other than when it's leading up to my holiday.... But from here it looks like they haven't made any progress or attempt to avoid a repeat of last year? Was a substantial amount of money not put forward to try and do exactly that?

When I look at people rising up against corrupt regimes in places like Libya and Egypt and then this I often wonder are the people just not bothered or are they that ignorant that they believe everything they are told?

Good luck to anyone here who may be affected.