Internet Via Satellite Or Gprs?

pinophai

I had IPSTAR installed about 4 months ago, so a quick Q for u tecky bods.

The IPSTAR box connects to the PC via a LAN card ( now LAN cards run at 100mbs ) so I assume that will be the max connection regardless that IPSTAR states up to 256mps. Am I right ????

Cheers

I guess we should never assume anything realy because it nearly always makes ass out of u and me ASS_U_ME

CF

Edited by Cheeky Farang

Cheeky Farang If only things where that fast we would all be internet gods !....

Your workstation maybe 100Mbps however your IPStar will only be 256Kbps ( notice the difference ) in real terms to compare IPStar 0.26Mbps. It is 1,024Kb per Mb.

A 256 IP Star system will typically give a bandwidth of around 243.0 kbs and a download speed of 30.0 kbs

The 512 IP Star typically gives bandwidth of 450 to 480 kbs and a D/L speed of 64 kbs

A 256 IP Star system will typically give a bandwidth of around 243.0 kbs and a download speed of 30.0 kbs

The 512 IP Star typically gives bandwidth of 450 to 480 kbs and a D/L speed of 64 kbs

Sorry to be thick Rimmer, but isn't a DL speed of 30kbs very slow, about the same as dialup?

Could you mean 30 kBs, the same as 240 kbs?

This is very important to me as I am considering buying land and high speed is essential.

Sorry to be thick Rimmer, but isn't a DL speed of 30kbs very slow, about the same as dialup?

Could you mean 30 kBs, the same as 240 kbs?

yes he is talking bytes and you are talking bits

but really the bottom line is the international connection out of thailand - all the sales talk will not change that , sometimes it will get as slow as dialup.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

i too live up country and am desperate to maintain contact with the outside world. cs loxinfo have been promoting a free installation package (saving 15000 baht) and a monthly fee of 3000 baht for 24/7 connection with the basic package of 256k ul speed.

i too am also very sceptical about the hype and waht quality of connection you really get. please visit the following site for someones personal experience last year

http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=20

and

http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=261

Anyone know if the new satellite (thaicom4) is up and running yet, i havent seen any press about it, assume it is still in testing, or typically a well kept secret away from nosey flangs. we know what mr T thinks of us

I remember a couple of years ago you couldnt get a satellite connection if you were a flang, would have to send no1 wife in to do the business, but they would smell a rat as my duckling is not computer savvy and they wouldnt follow up the order if they suspected a flang was behind it.

Incidentally, doesnt the CS loxinfo web site really suck!!!!!!!!!

I tried to follow up the list of agent and sales outlets for Khorat (second largest city in the LOS). About a dozen listed with phone numbers and some email contacts. NOT A Single one turned out to be available, a complete waste of an hour trying to phone through. It got my wife into a temper because Thais can be so rude an illiterate on the phone, have you noticed?

Hi all

i too live up country and am desperate to maintain contact with the outside world. cs loxinfo have been promoting a free installation package (saving 15000 baht) and a monthly fee of 3000 baht for 24/7 connection with the basic package of 256k ul speed.

i too am also very sceptical about the hype and waht quality of connection you really get. please visit the following site for someones personal experience last year

http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=20

and

http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=261

Anyone know if the new satellite (thaicom4) is up and running yet, i havent seen any press about it, assume it is still in testing, or typically a well kept secret away from nosey flangs. we know what mr T thinks of us

I remember a couple of years ago you couldnt get a satellite connection if you were a flang, would have to send no1 wife in to do the business, but they would smell a rat as my duckling is not computer savvy and they wouldnt follow up the order if they suspected a flang was behind it.

Incidentally, doesnt the CS loxinfo web site really suck!!!!!!!!!

I tried to follow up the list of agent and sales outlets for Khorat (second largest city in the LOS). About a dozen listed with phone numbers and some email contacts. NOT A Single one turned out to be available, a complete waste of an hour trying to phone through. It got my wife into a temper because Thais can be so rude an illiterate on the phone, have you noticed?