Tim Cook Apologizes For Maps

thaicruze

He admitted the maps are shit.

http://bits.blogs.ny.../tim-cook-maps/

My favorite part is:

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

He said "we took Google Maps out, so just go to the website and use it again. We suck. I guess they didn't learn from Antennagate.

They'll sell a billion iPhone 5's anyway. He doesn't care.

One thing for sure. They are now going to make sure the Maps app becomes the ultimate mobile map option no matter what the cost and how much they need throw at it. I reckon 12 months from now it will destroy the competition.

You would think. But f-ups are still possible.

I am personally hoping they'll go to OpenStreetMaps. Because then they can just hire 1,000 people and get to improving the data themselves. I've heard that does not work with the 3rd party maps they've bought... for TomTom, and others, they have to submit changes to the maps makers, and then wait for them to make the changes.

With OpenStreetMaps, they could just make them the best maps on the planet, and everyone would benefit (as they're open, anyone can use them)... except Google.

To paraphrase the late Steve Jobs: If making good software was as easy as writing a check, Microsoft would have the best software in the world.

Edited by nikster

One thing for sure. They are now going to make sure the Maps app becomes the ultimate mobile map option no matter what the cost and how much they need throw at it. I reckon 12 months from now it will destroy the competition.

I doubt they'll come close to matching Google in a year. They need to get the basics right first. It took Google many years to accomplish what they have now and they're a HUGE company.

This is the real world

18703B45-5C62-45F3-A4D0-2C9E17546ED5-50941-00000D61868D1515.jpg

and this is the world according to Apple

357B36F6-4044-41BC-A07B-056465C82250-50941-00000D618C2A52E3.jpg

If they were even close, I would agree with you, but in a year I just hope they're at least close to reality.

I suppose that is OK if everybody in the world uses Apple but I suspect that is far from the case.

Personally if somebody gave the the latest iPad or iPhone the only thing I would do with it is sell it.

To me Apple is overhyped and overpriced.

Yeah... there's many who don't get it, all over all the forums. But it seems like there's way more people out there in the real world who do get it smile.png this still makes me happy

Overhyped - is a strange sentiment. Hype tends to indicate a fad, like this year's must have Christmas toy. Fads by definition fade away quickly. Krispy Kreme in Bangkok was overhyped and a fad - just look at the lines now... crickets!

Back to Maps: I found this article to be very informative:

http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399

it's titled "Google Maps announces a 400 year advantage over Apple Maps" so it should be of interest even to the haters. I have to say - everything in there makes a lot of sense:

- Apple underestimated the problem, kind of thinking "we just buy maps data from a bunch of companies, mix them up, and serve them cold - that's gonna work". Google did the same thing when they started out. It was a colossal failure. This approach doesn't work. Lots of manual, human labor goes into maps.

- Apple doesn't have the people. Clearly - there's lots of maps job openings at Apple, and Apple is actively trying to poach maps guys from Google.

- They don't have the team - same as above, in some ways. But the article points out that maps is an ongoing commitment of considerable size. They need a big team of good people.

- They don't have the QA. Goes back to underestimating the problem.

On the bright side, Apple has all the tools to right these wrongs. A huge pile of money in the bank and a kick-ass CEO.

Edited by nikster

Just use nostra map in thailand, which seems to use garmin thai street map (esri) which is most updated and accurate map (better than google) for thailand.

There's also maps+, which is based on plain old google maps, and this review describes it as "better than Apple's old native google maps": http://www.redmondpie.com/get-native-google-maps-on-ios-6-iphone-5-with-directions-traffic-data-and-transit-directions-using-maps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedmondPie+%28Redmond+Pie%29

I had not thought of that but it should have been obvious in hindsight: As soon as Apple comes out with a bad native app, whatever it is, there's going to be 3rd party replacements popping up left, right, and center.

Expect a mini storm of new maps apps to hit the app store in the coming weeks.

Yeah... there's many who don't get it, all over all the forums.

I will admit I am one of them I guess.

We ( My wife & I ) have both Apple & Android/Galaxy products.

For the life of me I have never understood the attraction.

My wife is ok with Apple but only if I do all the various transfers of music etc. for her.

But she always opens with " Sorry Honey I know how much you hate this"

There are many things I just dont get about their whole system & why they set it up that way.

Yes I am able to deal with it but why oh why I always ask. :)

I am old enough though to understand it is futile to ask why.

Same with learning Pasa Thai, reading & writing I guess.

It just is what it is. Why ask why? :)

I suppose that is OK if everybody in the world uses Apple but I suspect that is far from the case.

Personally if somebody gave the the latest iPad or iPhone the only thing I would do with it is sell it.

Overhype? I don't think Apple promotes any more than other people. They do put themselves up, but doesn't everyone who wants to sell something?

Overpriced? I don't think so. All phones competing with the iPhone are priced the same. and I just bought a Macbook Air. All competitors, like ASUS and DELL, had laptops that were of lower quality and either they cost the same or they were more expensive.

Edited by thaicruze

I don't think it was "wrong" or that they screwed up. Apple Maps is just a brand new app. That's all. It's in development. I think Tim Cook apologizing was unnecessary, but Apple wants to take care of their customers.

and that's NOT hype. I wrote an email to Tim Cook recently and had someone from Apple Education in singapore contact me the next day.

All he had to say was that Apple Maps is in development and that they should expect great updates to it in the coming months. That's it.

Edited by thaicruze

^

Maybe she should open iTunes herself? ALl you do is drag the music and click SYNC. That's not difficult.

Yeah if that was the sum total of the problems then true.

It is a bit different when you have 3 devices & do not want the same on all three.

Or even if you want something just on the device but not on Itunes

Like when you download something directly to just one of the devices

At that point the next time Itunes sees it & you are given the choice of

syncing it to Itunes or they will delete it from the device.

Some choice smile.png.....Why not have the do nothing at all choice & leave where we (the owner of the device )

dang well chose to have it? smile.png

Mai bpen Rai it is all good....just not intuitive nor easy as other OS's freedom to choose wise.

Some day Apple should just rethink it.

Edited by mania

With the Thai script on roads issues aside I think they are starting to grow on me. Vector maps is a good step forward and you notice the difference when going in and out of the app, no time to re download. They will improve it over time.

^

Maybe she should open iTunes herself? ALl you do is drag the music and click SYNC. That's not difficult.

It is a bit different when you have 3 devices & do not want the same on all three.

Some choice smile.png.....Why not have the do nothing at all choice & leave where we (the owner of the device )

Mai bpen Rai it is all good....just not intuitive nor easy as other OS's freedom to choose wise.

You can do manual syncing.

Also sync setup is per device so you won't have problems with multiple devices. Like, I often have my iPhone, and two iPads connected at the same time, and I sync some stuff here, other stuff there, no problem.

Only if you want to add stuff from multiple PCs - then you have an issue. For music you can set it to manual and it works. For other stuff, I am not sure, never tried.

If you don't have something in iTunes, you can add it to iTunes holding down the option key - then it won't copy it to the iTunes folder, it will leave the file wherever it was, but make it visible in iTunes.

Is iTunes terribly intuitive? Nope. They need to definitely rethink this. As it is it's doing way too many things.

With the Thai script on roads issues aside I think they are starting to grow on me. Vector maps is a good step forward and you notice the difference when going in and out of the app, no time to re download. They will improve it over time.

Yeah... I've heard good things about it. Once they get the data errors fixed it will be killer.

^

Just tell her to hold down SHIFT and choose her library. When you sync, hold down SHIFT and choose yours. (alt in the Mac.)

ScreenShot2012-10-02at71755PM.png

I don't see how this is difficult.

Edited by thaicruze

Just tell her to hold down SHIFT and choose her library. When you sync, hold down SHIFT and choose yours. (alt in the Mac.)

Thanks will take a look next time.

Personally I do not have a library as all 3 devices are hers as I use Galaxy devices & PC

But the actual question was ...why...can she not have things just on her device period.

If that is what she wants & not have it in any Itunes library

anyway as I said no problem & I don't want to distract the actual Topic of Maps any further

Edited by mania

Because Apple still believes in the iPod paradigm. They've held on to this since before the iPhone.

You're saying, why do I need to set everything in iTunes?

Because Apple believed the iPod/iPhone is just a device to take your media with you, but the center of your "digital hub" is and always will be your computer.

iTunes is your main focus. The iPod/iPhone is just a secondary device to hold the media, but the center of everything is iTunes and your computer.

I guess you could just use the iPhone only. Update through wifi. Let the App Store keep a history of your apps. Let iCloud keep your info. Let iTunes on your iPhone keep a history of purchased music.

If you do everything through their own software then you don't need to ever plug it into a computer.

If you just want to be able to copy and paste things, then you need a Blakberry or an android phone.

Edited by thaicruze

Because Apple still believes in the iPod paradigm. They've held on to this since before the iPhone.

You're saying, why do I need to set everything in iTunes?

Because Apple believed the iPod/iPhone is just a device to take your media with you, but the center of your "digital hub" is and always will be your computer.

iTunes is your main focus. The iPod/iPhone is just a secondary device to hold the media, but the center of everything is iTunes and your computer.

I guess you could just use the iPhone only. Update through wifi. Let the App Store keep a history of your apps. Let iCloud keep your info. Let iTunes on your iPhone keep a history of purchased music.

If you do everything through their own software then you don't need to ever plug it into a computer.

If you just want to be able to copy and paste things, then you need a Blakberry or an android phone.

That explanation for their system sounds like a likely scenario.

actually the 2nd part of your post is how she was handling things & it worked fine for her.

But, unbeknownst to me she got a message about IOS6 & thought ok will do.

That is where her problems started smile.png

After that she wanted me to try & restore the previous OS which would have been possible, normally.

But Itunes saw the IOS6 & wanted a new Itunes to go any further.

After that it was all down hill. Because with itunes 10.7 I think it is now? You cannot do as before & hit restore while holding the option or shift if going thru the

PC/Itunes to point to the old OS ( Which I have, all 729mb of it)

Anyway smile.png It is ok

Edited by mania