Carlsberg Returns To Thailand After Heineken Bid

webfact

Carlsberg Returns to Thailand After Heineken Bid

By Clementine Fletcher

243px-Carlsberg_beer.jpg

File photo. Source: wikimedia

BANGKOK: -- Carlsberg A/S (CARLA), the world’s fourth- biggest brewer, is returning to Thailand after a seven-year hiatus, following Heineken (HEIA) NV’s successful bid to expand in Southeast Asia.

Carlsberg is teaming up with Singha Corp. to distribute, market and sell its brands in the country, it said Sept. 28. Thailand, with a population of about 67 million, is one of the few Southeast Asian countries where the Copenhagen-based brewer has a negligible footprint. The joint venture with the maker of Leo beer gives Carlsberg a partner that controls almost 60 percent of Thailand’s beer market.

Heineken got approval to take control of Asia Pacific Breweries Ltd. (APB) on Sept. 28 after buying out its venture partner for S$5.6 billion ($4.6 billion), giving it full ownership of operations across Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand. It was the culmination of a two-month tussle with Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, who offered to buy Singapore’s Fraser & Neave Ltd., the owner of a 40 percent stake in APB.

“When you’re looking for high growth, Thailand and China are two very crucial markets,” Gerard Rijk, an analyst at ING Groep NV in Amsterdam, said in a telephone interview.

Thailand and China, the biggest beer market by volume, will be the leading areas for growth, Rijk said. Carlsberg operates in China through a venture with Chongqing Brewery Co., in which it owns about 30 percent. Retail beer sales in Thailand may reach $3.52 billion, compared with $36 billion in China, according to market researcher Mintel International Group Inc.

Full story: http://www.businessw...-southeast-asia

-- Bloomberg Businessweek 2012-10-01

footer_n.gif

The quality control is an issue we all hope they attend to stricktly.

Just buy an imported American Coca-cola vs the one you get i Thailand. Miles apart.

( Heard a story once, dunno if it's true, but a good story anyhow; the reason why there is no coke can vendor machines in Thailand, should be the punishment handed out to Coca-cola Thailand by Coca-cola, because they fail in getting the taste right. )

The current Vietnam brewed Carlsberg is not pretty bad - but its still stretching it, to call it a Carlsberg..

But Thai's and quality control, is a bit bard to fit into once sentence, without chuckling.

Anyway we will all have to wait and see.

• Like 2

Its all lGER THOUGH. just adding more of the same does not make things better, some other alternatives might go down well here if there is anyone brave enough to have a go!

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

This should make Chang extremely happy after their break up!!....not...

Let's hope their marriage to Singha is more harmonious than that with Thai Bev (Chang)

How can they return after what (they claim) happened last time? Have they no sense of lost face?

• Like 1

In glass Carlsberg is great, but in the cans it is something else. I believe from different countries?

The Carlsberg can and the small bottle are the same, they are brewed and tapped at the same brewery in Vietnam (HABECO). Big bottles and draught are brewed by a different brewery in Vietnam (SEAB).

The difference in taste might be caused by poor storage.

I hope they bring some dark beer with them but its probably a forlorn hope, does anyone remember "variety is the spice of life"?

You can already get Beer Lao Dark smile.png

True. they have already appointed a new local agent here in Phuket and we have had no difficulity in obtaining fresh stocks of Carlsberg, Lao regular and Lao dark ( 6.5 %)

They are the beer sponsor for the next Thai Visa 10 year aniverisary parties.

IMHO a very good call and I wish them every sucsess.

edit. Spell check not working

Edited by sportsman69
  • Like 1

I have to go so far out of my way for a bloody beer Lao which I enjoy quite a lot. I ran into one joint that had Asahi draft (approx 6.7 %) and love it. But again it's way out of my way to get it. I have just been going with regular Asahi in big bottles. Quite a treat actually. Would be happy to get a decent Carlsberg.

What a joke! They been here they went away they came back as an exclusive beer and nobody bought it. Now what? They coming back again. I seriously doubt they will be able to take any shares here even if they are huge elsewhere. Nowdays we enjoy the good and cheap Chang or Leo. Girls of today dont know anything exept for heiniken.There are no market segment for Carsberg. One time big in Thailand as kloster was long time ago. Nope sorry waste of money but ok they can afford. Cheers