Thai Airways Airbus A380 Lands At Suvarnabhumi

webfact

If they ever drop one, and god forbid that it happens, this forum will be full of "I told you so's".

TG is quite rightly and proudly, operating one of the most technological aircraft on the scene.

Why not give TG and Thailand credit for this ??

Credit goes to THAI for recognizing a few years ago that the A380 would be a good substitute for aging 747's. More credit once they really start operating the plane commercially.

Not sure why Thailand earned credit here?

It is a government owned and operated airline.

That would explain why they fail in so many aspects. Anyway, they are not (government owned). If anything goes well at TG you can be almost certain that the government missed its opportunity to meddle.

Edit: Dam_n typos

Edited by shunima

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been saving my FF points for my family to fly the A380 upfront.

As for London as many are aware Heathrows slots are a valuable commodity for any airline, it really would be foolish of TG to give up a slot in order to carry all the passengers on one A380 flight. Frankfurt is the best fit for Star Alliance connections, all the feed from East Coast North America will fill the beast up very well. Sadly the UK taxes are so much these days even with SAS/Air Canada/United/TAM feeding LHR the taxes would make the flight not competitive over FRA.

Congrats to TG can't wait to be over served on board.

It's a shame they dropped the JFK-BKK route a few years ago. Now most of the cheaper flights out of NYC are on budget Chinese airlines, many of which do NOT have seatback video. We are flying on China Eastern Air in January - after flying on Air China a few years ago I swore 'never again' but beggars can't be choosers - our tickets only cost $1075 r/t and the layovers aren't too long. I would have rather flown Etihad or Qatar(have flown both to Nepal and had no complaints) but fares were much more expensive and longer layovers.

Does anybody know the flight paths involving these aircrafts?

I have heard Hong Kong and Singapore. It makes a certain amount of sense given they fly 747's to Chiang Mai.

They wont use them on short haul... cant get fuel efficiency on these plans unless they are in the air for 7 hours.. Frankfurt/London/ Sydney and maybe Melbourne will be routes they will look at.

The A380 uses a boatload of fuel on takeoff however at cruise is more efficient than 747.. as such have to have em up in the air for long period to amortise the takeoff usage.

"Bedding in flights" from October to December, then Frankfurt. Then more added when they get more planes.

http://www.ausbt.com...s-sydney-london

According to Thai's final A380 schedule – released today at the airline's A380 delivery event in Airbus HQ at Toulose, France – the A380 will shuttle back and forth from Bangkok to Hong Kong and Singapore on daily runs from October 6 to December 14.

These short-term bedding-in flights are fairly standard practice for airlines while they train up their crew on all-new planes.

From December 15 the A380 will strut its stuff on the first long-haul route with daily flights between Bangkok and Frankfurt (TG920/921), with the Singapore and Hong Kongs services going back to smaller aircraft.

As of January 16, 2013, Tokyo's Narita airport will be added to the daily list (TG676/677), with Paris-Charles de Gaulle following from February 16 (TG930/931).

Osaka is next on that list, starting on August 16 (TG622/623), while Sydney will follow on September 16 (TG475/476).

London is also on the cards, says Thai Airways, with its sixth and final A380 slated for a daily service between Heathrow and Bangkok from October.

Edited by whybother

who care about more hostess , that is not the bright side for me ..more passengers = less spaces between seats .... nothing else . I fly A380 since the begining , was in the first A380 which landed in Bangkok (Emirates flight) very nice aircraft but still more comfortable in biz class in a 777 , but that's my opinion. Anyway congratulation to TG

I think that they fly over Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and the like.

As a further note, they are fortunate to have even one of these planes carrying their livery as if you cast your mind back Thai wanted to cancel the entire order however under the terms of the contract were unable to do. TiT

Flew on one of these a few days ago with Emirates on my way back to BKK via Dubai, very quiet and in-flight WiFi/internet access (for $15).

Now they have this extra capacity, will they finally make their prices more competitive??

Let's see how the pricing (way too high) reflects pax carried over one year.

I fly Thai all the time to Australia for three reasons:

(1) They are the only airline that HONESTLY advertise their fares (no big surprises like extra taxes when you come to pay)

(2) They fly non-stop between BKK & BNE

(3) They have a good cabin crew experience (I do not worry about having mindless games available on a personal screen!)

I think that they fly over Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and the like.

As a further note, they are fortunate to have even one of these planes carrying their livery as if you cast your mind back Thai wanted to cancel the entire order however under the terms of the contract were unable to do. TiT

If you want to watch the route go to flightradar24 click and find a Thai/BA/EVA flight, double click and you will see the flight path. You can also look at MAS/SQ to get a general idea.

You will have to wait until the flight is close to landing so you can see the entire route.

Edited by WilliaminBKK

If they ever drop one, and god forbid that it happens, this forum will be full of "I told you so's".

TG is quite rightly and proudly, operating one of the most technological aircraft on the scene.

Credit goes to THAI for recognizing a few years ago that the A380 would be a good substitute for aging 747's. More credit once they really start operating the plane commercially.

THAI is a "Public Company Limited", so it's not government owned, nor government operated. Mind you, I admit to a certain political influence which might explain some board movements and lack of profit

http://www.set.or.th....do?symbol=thai

Should be clear about this - on June 15 2011, the government announced that it would sell down it's shareholding from 51.03% down to 49.99%.

http://centreforavia...ares-down-53224

The difference is that at 50% or more it is classified under the law as an SOE (State-Owned Enterprise/Entity). SOE's must have major spending decisions ratified by the responsible government ministry for that sector - in this case the transport ministry. Actually this sale of holding is cheating a little as certainly 0.4% was being purchased by the crown property bureau, but the ministry would lose control.

So you're both correct - when the purchasing decision was made for the A380, it had to be ratified by the transport ministry, and not sure of the value requirement, but above a certain amount it goes to cabinet. However, right now, Thai is no longer classified as an SOE.

Cheers

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 1

THAI is a "Public Company Limited", so it's not government owned, nor government operated. Mind you, I admit to a certain political influence which might explain some board movements and lack of profit

The SET site you link to above, under the major shareholders section, still shows the government's Ministry of Finance holding a 51% share as of the most recent data, listed as March 2012.

Rank Major Shareholders # Shares % Shares spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

1. Ministry of Finance. 1,113,931,061 51.03

And the government has additional control/holdings in effect thru the additional stock held by the MFC Asset Management Public Company, which has the Ministry of Finance and Government Savings Bank as its major shareholders. That looks like another 15+% share.

post-58284-0-82254300-1349235656_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

With reference to post 19, I have seen youtube pictures of an middle eastern airline, think Man city, who picked up a new A380 and totalled the aircraft before take off, always best to read the maunal before you think you can fly/drive.

With reference to post 19, I have seen youtube pictures of an middle eastern airline, think Man city, who picked up a new A380 and totalled the aircraft before take off, always best to read the maunal before you think you can fly/drive.

That was an AIrbus A340 Not an A380. The difference amongst others is one has 2 floors the other has just 1!whistling.gif

Edited by maprao

It's just that what frightens me the most:

It might be cramped, but look at the bright side, more passengers means more lovely air hostesses!

Sitting squeezed with little or no leg space and looking at nice hostesses does not seem to me a good combination...

• Like 1

Congrats to TG. You are inferring that the 'flight path' should be different for the A380. Apart from higher separation distances between the A380 'Heavy' on approach and landing (wake turbulence) compared to the lower mass catagories, it is unlikely that the path would be any different. Maybe a pilot with more recency than me would be able to confirm this.This might be of passing interest to avaiation minded people, whilst piloting a lighty with an intended landing into one of the UAE airports not far from Dubai, I was instructed by approach radar to maintain a 15nm separation as number 2 behind an Emirates A380. I declined and diverted. There was no way I was going to mess with the wake turbulence of an A380 monster at that stage of its' proving flights even though I was higher. However our approach paths were directionally identical as it was the same runway we were aligned to.

• Like 1

Congrats to TG. You are inferring that the 'flight path' should be different for the A380. Apart from higher separation distances between the A380 'Heavy' on approach and landing (wake turbulence) compared to the lower mass catagories, it is unlikely that the path would be any different. Maybe a pilot with more recency than me would be able to confirm this.This might be of passing interest to avaiation minded people, whilst piloting a lighty with an intended landing into one of the UAE airports not far from Dubai, I was instructed by approach radar to maintain a 15nm separation as number 2 behind an Emirates A380. I declined and diverted. There was no way I was going to mess with the wake turbulence of an A380 monster at that stage of its' proving flights even though I was higher. However our approach paths were directionally identical as it was the same runway we were aligned to.

I think he was asking which cities they were flying to.

TG lost the plot a long time ago. With multiple engine choices (GE, Pratt and Rolls Royce) and therefore higher maintenance costs, endemic corruption from the ground-up, shabby-lounges, poor planning and management that know little or nothing of the aviation business (which is in effect, a service business), it's a wonder it's still flying. As others have said, only with this aircraft have they understood about lie-flat beds, in-flight entertainment etc when others did it in the 20th Century. This Youtube presentation makes it look fab..but let's see the reality of it.

one thing for sure..I won't be flying cattle-class in this thing. Looks appalling.

. Apart from higher separation distances between the A380 'Heavy' on approach and landing (wake turbulence) compared to the lower mass catagories,

Designation for A380's are "super" following callsign, to differentiate them from other 'heavy' aircraft such as 747 for separation purposes.

Should be clear about this - on June 15 2011, the government announced that it would sell down it's shareholding from 51.03% down to 49.99%.

http://centreforavia...ares-down-53224

The difference is that at 50% or more it is classified under the law as an SOE (State-Owned Enterprise/Entity). SOE's must have major spending decisions ratified by the responsible government ministry for that sector - in this case the transport ministry. Actually this sale of holding is cheating a little as certainly 0.4% was being purchased by the crown property bureau, but the ministry would lose control.

So you're both correct - when the purchasing decision was made for the A380, it had to be ratified by the transport ministry, and not sure of the value requirement, but above a certain amount it goes to cabinet. However, right now, Thai is no longer classified as an SOE.

Cheers

Although I appreciate your trying to be kind in your choosing who is right or wrong .. the FACT is that it is a government owned and operated entity. Also, one of the other largest share holders is the Government Savings Bank. And while the Government owns more than 50% there is no other shareholder that owns any significant portion ... I think the next highest shareholder owns about 8%.

Also the Ministry has not sold its shares to reduce its 50%+ ownership and the article you quote from more than a year ago clearly states in the first line they are a "State Enterprise" and nothing has changed since this article accept they didn't reduce their ownership.

Thailand's Finance Ministry has announced it intends to cut its ownership stake in Thai Airways International from 51.03% to 49.99% and support
a bid to end carrier's legal status as a state enterprise.

For a list of more Government Owned Airlines .. http://en.wikipedia....-owned_airlines

Edited by Nisa

congrats to Thai air, all they have to do is get the price right, and they should do well, these are nice planes to fly on, I flew with emirates on the Dubai/ bangkok leg on my last trip, and it was enjoyable lots of space. a link to ailines using A380 and the seating and configuration is here - http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/airbus-a380-the-layouts

Again, without any question it is classified as a Government owned Airline since the government owns more than 50% and not other share holder comes close.

They have also been profitable 49 of the past 51 years which is a pretty remarkable feat for an airline.

As a side note, the new President of Thai is also Chairmen of MCOT (another government owned company)

A headline surpassing idiocy really, surely ... "Thai Airways Airbus A380 lands at Suvarnabhumi". Where else? Sukhumvit?

That's a bit harsh and out of proportion - headline seemed perfectly factual and relevant IMO

The accompanying photograph however should probably have been of the Thai A380 landing at Suvanabhumi.....

....instead of taking off from Toulouse, France.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

It was a A340-600 for Etihad and it was in Toulouse, France. It wasn't the pilots who were picking it up but ADAT but the flight crew of Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies.

I stand corrected then.