New Passport And Ed Visa

I have two questions.... First,

I have a new passport as my old one is now full (about 2 pages left)

My tourist visa is in my old passport, I am now using my 30 day extension but this is also in my old passport. I will be leaving thailand to apply for a new visa in 2 weeks.

Do I have to get the extension stamp transferred to my new passport or can I just take both passports to show at the border and get the new stamps in the new passport? ( I will be crossing the border at the bridge to Vientiane, Laos)

Second questions....I will be applying for a ED visa next time, how much is the fee for this process? (I have already paid the school, how much do I pay the embassy in Laos) And does it take one day to process like the tourist visa? Or does it take longer?

Thanks

Yes, you must transfer your extention on your new passport. Your old passport is not valid anymore. The transfer must be done by the Immigration office.

It can be done at the border but the Immigration office is not at the bridge so you might lose quite a lot of time.

The ED visa fee is 2.000 thb and it will requier a 24 hours process.

Make sure that you've all the necessary documents from your school. Many of those private language schools don't provide the requiered documents.

"I have a new passport as my old one is now full (about 2 pages left)"

Going by plane, I had no doubt, to use the new passport first time at the embassy, to get the new ED visa. And for the entry,coming back to Thailand.

But also I would think, that is the way to go, via land border.

leaving Thailand and entering/leaving Laos with the old passport, entering Thailand with the new one, showing the departure stamp (Laos) in the old one.

You need a new passport, cause not enough space for the new visa stamp and the extension stamps.

Should be very clear for immigration. Both passports a valid, both are on your name.

The price for a single non Imm, I dont know. About 2-2500 baht, I think.

And the time should be the same, the embassy needs for the tourist visa. One day.

Make sure, to have all the needed papers, you paid the school for!

Yes, you must transfer your extention on your new passport. Your old passport is not valid anymore. The transfer must be done by the Immigration office.

It can be done at the border but the Immigration office is not at the bridge so you might lose quite a lot of time.

The ED visa fee is 2.000 thb and it will requier a 24 hours process.

Make sure that you've all the necessary documents from your school. Many of those private language schools don't provide the requiered documents.

Why is the old passport not valid anymore?

OP didn't write anything about that!

You just depart using both passports - the transfer will be down at exit office. If on a non immigrant extension of stay from immigration or a lost passport the transfer would have to be done earlier at local immigration office that issued the extension of stay.

Ok, I got two different answers here....it makes sense that the "proper" thing to do would be to transfer it, but is there really going to be any problem if I don't? I was going to do what noob has suggested.

Are both Passports still valid?

In case, it is like that, you have two valid passports, and a valid reason for having 'em!

I changed my passports some years ago, this way too. Only it was in Hongkong. And Bkk immigration isn't expecting a 'leaving stamp' for a European, enough direct flights from Europe. That's why I wrote, by plane it's a no brainer!

But I had to show my passport at the consulate

"How did you enter Hongkong?"

"And why do you have 2 passports?"

No space (for future stamps) or no time (validity of the passport, less 6 month/expected validity for the visa) is a valid reason.

In case, you have 2 pages left, you will need almost one, for the next 4 stamps, till you are back in Thailand.

Plus the visa from the consulate:

Pass full.

Edited by noob7

Passports do not have to be valid and once a replacement is issued (or even applied for in some cases) the original is normally not valid but any entry/visa in it would still be valid. But it is a simple case of information entering at departure time.

Passports do not have to be valid and once a replacement is issued (or even applied for in some cases) the original is normally not valid but any entry/visa in it would still be valid. But it is a simple case of information entering at departure time.

You are right, lopburi, they do not have to be valid.

But that is the key point!

It is very common, if a passport is almost on the end of the validity or the useable pages, to get a new one, additional.

Applying for the new passport abroad, it seems to be more common.

In case, the old passport is invalid, now (punched or something), the OP NEED to use the new passport, b/c no one will stamp anything into the old one.

But if it is still valid, he can use it, leave Thailand, enter Laos, leave Laos! Saving a page in the new one.

But till now, only the OP knows, if he has two valid passports, or only one!

But if it is still valid, he can use it, leave Thailand, enter Laos, leave Laos! Saving a page in the new one.

I doubt very much that his old passport is still valid.

Since he is getting a visa that will be in his new passport he will have to enter Laos with it. The embassy checks for entry stamps in passport. Also Thai immigration on departure will check that he has entry/departure stamps for Laos when he re-enters Thailand.

I doubt very much that his old passport is still valid.

Since he is getting a visa that will be in his new passport he will have to enter Laos with it. The embassy checks for entry stamps in passport. Also Thai immigration on departure will check that he has entry/departure stamps for Laos when he re-enters Thailand.

And?

In the consulate, he shows the old passport for the entry stamp

At the Thai border for the departure stamp

Solved

ok, thanks for all the advice and info, ive decided to just take both passports...leave with the old one and enter with the new one...if anyone asks i'll just explain my old one is now full and that's why i have a new one. i figure its worth the risk as what's the worst that could happen? (im a 25 year old mum travelling alone with her 2 year old)

(also its quite interesting how you all assumed i was a man ;) haha)

one last question...my son will be coming with me (hes 2 years old) im planning to apply for a visa for him too in relation to my ED visa...im assuming it will be a non-immigrant visa, does anyone know what info i need for this? is it just a birth certificate to prove he is my dependent, or will i need anything else?

thanks for all the swift responses,

emma

Do not try that at any land border (even if you have two active passports which I do not believe you will). You must use the same passport as both countries will be checking for exit stamps. The proper procedure is to present both passport at exit so that information from old can be transferred into the new passport.

one last question...my son will be coming with me (hes 2 years old) im planning to apply for a visa for him too in relation to my ED visa...im assuming it will be a non-immigrant visa, does anyone know what info i need for this? is it just a birth certificate to prove he is my dependent, or will i need anything else?

I will be a real big if for you to get a visa for your son. Since under the police order dependent extensions are not a allowed for ED extensions of stay.

The most you will probably be a able to get is a tourist visa for him.

But since he is only 2 years old immigration does not charge overstay for children under 15 which means he does not really need a visa or extension. A 30 day visa exempt entry would be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, thanks for all the replies. just wanted to let you know what i did in case anyone asks again.

first, i showed both passports at the exit border for leaving thailand. the man stamped the exit stamp inside the new passport

from then on, i only showed the new passport and there were no questions or problems at all

second, i was able to get a non-imm O visa for my son under my ED visa.

there didnt seem to be any problems with this all i needed was his birth certificate. however, id like to point out that me and my son sometimes get "positive treatment" due to how he looks. this sounds absolutely ridiculous but its true... we even get "special" treatment at chaengwattana government complex. so im not sure if we were given this non-imm visa as a normal pocedure or under special circumstances, especially when i was advised i may not be able to get one for him under proper procedures