Which Car In Thailand Is Easiest To Tune To Like 250Hp Or More?

TramsRepus

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I think i have to forget the 250hp for now it seems though, as an 15 years old car is not an option as commuter car. I think i will buy a new standard boring car or a pickup for now.

But i have seen some nice Cefiro projects around 400-500k. I might buy one later and have it as a hobby car.

/T

If you're willing to go slightly above your budget, you could consider a new 3.2L Ford Ranger. 200hp stock and I read somewhere they can be chipped to 250hp+. It won't be a barn burner as it's a heavy vehicle, but could be good for a 7 second range 0-100kph, slightly faster than many other Thai vehicles. Automatic transmission diesel trucks are generally quicker than rowing your own gears too. However, the automatic transmission in then the weakest link in the turbodeisel powertrain.

Your plan to have the 250hp target vehicle as a hobby project is probably the best route. This is how I would do it......

1.5M is a lot for 3 letters, even if they are STI

Yes is a lot extra......... from there website

The high-performance of an intercooled turbocharged 265 horsepower engine is standard on the WRX, while the WRX STI turns up the boost to deliver a full 305 horsepower engine.

Sorry a bit off topic but what car would you buy for 2-3 millions THB ?

At this price the cheapest BMW or BENZ do not seem so good, right ?

How to do ?

Thanks for ideas !

Benz C200 is only 2.15m and is quite decent for the money, but it's still a lumbering whale of a luxury car

Benz A250 new one class may be around 3m baht MAYBE but need to wait for this one

VW Scirocco <2.5m quicker than either of the above

VW Golf Mark 7 coming next year quicker than any of the above (mark 6 now on the market <2.5m)

Audi A1 grey market 185HP around 2.9m S Line

Skoda Fabia RS 185HP around 1.7m (face a bit of an acquired taste)

Mini Cooper S GP 2006 edition around 1.65-1.75m 215-240HP low mileage (2nd hand but what a car!)

Mini Cooper S R56 2012 new around 2.85m 185HP legit (grey also an option slightly cheaper)

Mini Cooper S GP 2012/13 grey market only forecast to be around 3m about

Toyota GT86 - ok Japanese but lovely rear wheel drive, needs a turbo though 2.5m

Volvo S60 1.95m

Something like that.

The all new S40, on Volvo's Thailand website............ is the the 1.6 engine the Turbo ? [uK has 6 engine options]

must come cheaper than bigger S60 T4......1.6 turbo.

The good looking wagon V50 is just under 1.7 million, so one would expect the S40 and 2013 V40 to be cheaper...... ??

Edited by ignis

The all new S40, on Volvo's Thailand website............ is the the 1.6 engine the Turbo ? [uK has 6 engine options]

must come cheaper than bigger S60 T4......1.6 turbo.

The good looking wagon V50 is just under 1.7 million, so one would expect the S40 and 2013 V40 to be cheaper...... ??

The S40 and V50 are a 2.0 Litre with no turbo.

The S60/V60 are 1.6 turbos.

To promote the S40 3 months ago when the missus bought a volvo they were offering 100K off the S40 as standard and 5 years interest free credit or the sports version (spoiler and wheels) at the same price as the normal S40 list price. Bet you can't guess how much more it normally costs. biggrin.png

This was at the head office dealer under the airport link station near Sinarakin road, I can't remember the name. It's apparently where you need to go to get a test drive.

Edit: I think the 2.0 litre engine is the same as in the focus.

Edited by arthurwait

Sorry a bit off topic but what car would you buy for 2-3 millions THB ?

At this price the cheapest BMW or BENZ do not seem so good, right ?

How to do ?

Thanks for ideas !

Benz C200 is only 2.15m and is quite decent for the money, but it's still a lumbering whale of a luxury car

Benz A250 new one class may be around 3m baht MAYBE but need to wait for this one

VW Scirocco <2.5m quicker than either of the above

VW Golf Mark 7 coming next year quicker than any of the above (mark 6 now on the market <2.5m)

Audi A1 grey market 185HP around 2.9m S Line

Skoda Fabia RS 185HP around 1.7m (face a bit of an acquired taste)

Mini Cooper S GP 2006 edition around 1.65-1.75m 215-240HP low mileage (2nd hand but what a car!)

Mini Cooper S R56 2012 new around 2.85m 185HP legit (grey also an option slightly cheaper)

Mini Cooper S GP 2012/13 grey market only forecast to be around 3m about

Toyota GT86 - ok Japanese but lovely rear wheel drive, needs a turbo though 2.5m

Volvo S60 1.95m

Something like that.

Out of those I would go for the gt86 without hesitation because it looks to be the most fun to drive. Personally I have never liked Mercs, not saying they are bad cars, but I find them very bland to drive. Yes, I know some of the mega hp versions would be fun, but the price isn't.

• 2 months later...

You are not going to find anything in that price range. Best bet would be to find an older rear wheel drive car in good condition like a Nissan Cerfiro or BMW series 5. Then drop in a Nissian 1UZ or 2UZ V-8 (40-60,000 baht). That's what I did. A 1UZ gets 280HP stock and they sound great. Good luck on whatever you decide.

IMGP0008.jpg

Did you really do that? Just wondered because if I had done that to my car I'd know what engine I'd put in and you don't seem to. The 1UZ FE is a Lexus/Toyota engine not a Nissan and certainly not a Nissian.

uzz is the way to go. i sticked many uz engines in us cars. they are bulled proof, very powerful and very fuel efficient. but u need a good mecanic for the electronics. it pulled my 2 tonnes american car like a rocked. and the good thing: if u fit a double exhoust with two glaspack mufflers right on the end of each pipe, u get the typicly v8 growling soumd like a 455 chevy motor.

There is one of these floating around in Phuket somewhere. Unless the guy actually managed to sell it.

Indeed there is, mine...been torn between keeping and selling. (that's why I never pushed the sales much) Love it, but drive it rarely- deep "under cover" in my garage, hard to get out. Wife wants to sell it, as she does not like to drive a manual. I have my daily driver GTI. It is just such a blast - pure feeling of motoring I guess. :)

The Thai Chev Lumina is not a bad idea for minimum mods. These are badged Holden Commodores from Australia. Even the base V6 go pretty well for a good size auto sedan.

You know when you been in Thailand too long - a V6 commodore is badasslaugh.png I hired one when I was back in OZ. I was surprised how slow it felt; thinking it's a heavy car had something to do with it. Too bad we can't get a ford/holden v8 here!

Indeed there is, mine...

You might get an offer wai.gif

Yeah, why not...made up my mind that for what I paid for, plus extras spend to make it perfect, I will be loosing a lot. I guess anything around 1.65-1.75m might be considered.

Anyway, not here to push this....just as it was mentioned.