Trans Fat Content At Kfc/ Mcdonald's In Thai ?

duiter

Considering the high usage of palm oil I would say no & I think it's pretty easy to avoid fast food crap and eat healthy in Thailand. Given the abundance of fresh veg & fruit I'm not overly concerned, besides my home made burgers could put Mcdo's out of business smile.png .

Personally I'm more concerned about food in the west containing high fructose corn syrup & genetic modified corn products, I recently read an article about Mcdo's - in the US the cattle are fed corn, pop is full of high fructose corn syrup, chips are fried in corn oil & the buns are made with corn starch.

Considering the high usage of palm oil I would say no & I think it's pretty easy to avoid fast food crap and eat healthy in Thailand. Given the abundance of fresh veg & fruit I'm not overly concerned, besides my home made burgers could put Mcdo's out of business smile.png .

Personally I'm more concerned about food in the west containing high fructose corn syrup & genetic modified corn products, I recently read an article about Mcdo's - in the US the cattle are fed corn, pop is full of high fructose corn syrup, chips are fried in corn oil & the buns are made with corn starch.

It's a minefield out there. Only a question of time before we're being fed Soylent Green.

I think it is extremely difficult to eat healthy in Bangkok. vegetables and fruits are usually full with pesticides. Organic food is almost not available. Everyone uses palm oil to fry things and changes oil way too late.

Not even if for cooking myself I get the healthy things easily and they are more expensive than in Europe.

• Like 1

I think it is extremely difficult to eat healthy in Bangkok. vegetables and fruits are usually full with pesticides. Organic food is almost not available. Everyone uses palm oil to fry things and changes oil way too late.

Not even if for cooking myself I get the healthy things easily and they are more expensive than in Europe.

Our vegetables are soaked in cold water for at least 5 minutes to try and wash off as much chemical as possible. About as much as you can do. I try and avoid restaurant food too often as I doubt that most bother at all. Also, they are too heavy-handed with sauces, MSG, sugar and salt. Thai food healthy? I think not.

• Like 2

Our vegetables are soaked in cold water for at least 5 minutes to try and wash off as much chemical as possible. About as much as you can do. I try and avoid restaurant food too often as I doubt that most bother at all. Also, they are too heavy-handed with sauces, MSG, sugar and salt. Thai food healthy? I think not.

Finally something we can agree upon. I also don't think that most Thai food is healthy, there are of course some healthy and semi healthy dishes and it depends on how it is prepared. But to say Thai food is healthy is simply not true.

I cook most of my food myself and i look at what is healthy not how much i like it. Can be boring but staying in shape does take its sacrifices. You can't have it all eating crap and staying slim.

many poisons are inside the vegetables, impossible to wash off. We try to buy from royal projects. But of course no steady supply. Things grow when there is the right season. And no solution at all for meat. There are organic eggs available....

Finally something we can agree upon. I also don't think that most Thai food is healthy, there are of course some healthy and semi healthy dishes and it depends on how it is prepared. But to say Thai food is healthy is simply not true.

I cook most of my food myself and i look at what is healthy not how much i like it. Can be boring but staying in shape does take its sacrifices. You can't have it all eating crap and staying slim.

I agree as well. But I would put it different....Most Thai food would be healthy if prepared and eaten in the traditional way......There is an interesting speech of HM the Queen about sugar in Thai food.

I can't say about all chains, but US based chains are completely anal about having all franchisees use the same methods and ingredients. If you walk into a McDonalds or Burger King in any country in the world you expect the food to be exactly what you're used to. Any franchisee who thinks he has a better idea will lose his franchise. I would bet if you studied MDee's food ingredients on google you'd soon know what's in it.

Edit. I do recall news that McD and BK and others went from using unhealthy fats to healthier fats in their friers just a few years ago. This was from public pressure and bad publicity.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

@OP

I think the transfat and calories of burgers here are the same as in other places. Its all standardized i guess.

No. I disagree. In North America, KFC was obliged to remove transfat from its cooking oil and batter mix. No such regulations apply in Thailand and KFC does use its old "cheaper" preparation format.

In North America and he EU, the cooking oil is usually canola or corn and is subject to health regulations that require the oil to be changed at various intervals. No such regulations are applied in Thailand and the cooking oil is more likely to feature more saturated fats due to the locasl sourcing.

• Like 1

@OP

I think the transfat and calories of burgers here are the same as in other places. Its all standardized i guess.

No. I disagree. In North America, KFC was obliged to remove transfat from its cooking oil and batter mix. No such regulations apply in Thailand and KFC does use its old "cheaper" preparation format.

In North America and he EU, the cooking oil is usually canola or corn and is subject to health regulations that require the oil to be changed at various intervals. No such regulations are applied in Thailand and the cooking oil is more likely to feature more saturated fats due to the locasl sourcing.

Ok i thought these guys went for standardization. But if you have inside knowledge like you seem to have i will have to agree with you. I have no proof was just a feeling.

Well look, if you are going into The Colonel's or Maccas you surely must know you are going to get hit with a whole buch of fat soaked denatured crap. But it was never a health choice to begin with, it was just an urge for that crap, so let them bring it on trans fats and all as it will make bugger all difference.

• Like 1

i think we in thailand havnt got a clue as to what goes into our food,what about hydrogenated fat used to prolong the life of foods expecially frozen foods,every fast food chain serves up food that is frozen.there is nothing regulated in thailand,try and see what ingrediants packets of food contain after bar codes and stickers are stuck on in the right place so you cant read what anything contains,then try and peel them off,i make all my own burgers, avoid any food mass produced.never took any notice of what goes into anything until i had to have heart surgery and a double by pass.saw something about 100%butter had been messed with.

i don't know why but i find fast food taste rather different here. the mcnuggets & mcchicken here are totally off and suck.

Is it possible they don't change the grease in the fryers as is mandated by at least US law, and McDee's own rules?

@OP

Ok i thought these guys went for standardization. But if you have inside knowledge like you seem to have i will have to agree with you. I have no proof was just a feeling.

no, I recall that McD had to change their burgers for Austria as we had strickter laws....But that was gone with the EU....McD is slightly changing their products up the local laws.....

......There is an interesting speech of HM the Queen about sugar in Thai food.

Do you have a link, please?

No unfortunately not and I can't remember it in detail.

It was about that traditionally Thai food isn't sweet and now to everything sugar is added. But it was a long time till I heard it and my Thai isn't perfect. I recall that that time I already tried to find an English transcript of it, but I didn't find any.

It's a minefield out there. Only a question of time before we're being fed Soylent Green.

I like Soylent Green. It cuts down on crowding in the neighborhood.

Bad news for you, you're next to be processed.

Thaifood being healthy is what sexpats say to justify their stay on other forums than pattaya addicts

304912_518003398225859_1171433067_n.jpg

As you can see, those small meals that would not fill up a 5 year old are full of dirty calories. I could eat a whole large bag of good quality oven made chips back home and get close to the same intake. Dont forget that a lot of those food(especialy ramen noodles) are stuck in your stomach for 24hrs+ causing a stir

Veggies and fruits dont = to healthy especialy with the ammount of chemicals that are used here.

But then again if you have a western raised girlfriend in thailand who buys everything from Central food hall's selection of organic products that are almost the same price as the crap theys ell on the street and cook with care for taste and quality then thai food becomes very healhty just like any other food from around the world.

Problem is thai restaurants and stalls looking to make big bucks quickly or people being too poor to know or be able to cook healthy

My gf always cooks the traditional way and its very healthy and taste no where alike with what id eat pretty much anywhere else. I suggest you people get traditonal receipes and try them. Way better.

Edited by BabyJebus

Thaifood being healthy is what sexpats say to justify their stay on other forums than pattaya addicts

304912_518003398225859_1171433067_n.jpg

As you can see, those small meals that would not fill up a 5 year old are full of dirty calories. I could eat a whole large bag of good quality oven made chips back home and get close to the same intake. Dont forget that a lot of those food(especialy ramen noodles) are stuck in your stomach for 24hrs+ causing a stir

Veggies and fruits dont = to healthy especialy with the ammount of chemicals that are used here.

But then again if you have a western raised girlfriend in thailand who buys everything from Central food hall's selection of organic products that are almost the same price as the crap theys ell on the street and cook with care for taste and quality then thai food becomes very healhty just like any other food from around the world.

Problem is thai restaurants and stalls looking to make big bucks quickly or people being too poor to know or be able to cook healthy

My gf always cooks the traditional way and its very healthy and taste no where alike with what id eat pretty much anywhere else. I suggest you people get traditonal receipes and try them. Way better.

The fried egg suck full with old palm oil (on the picture if cooked at a cheapo Thai plaxe) is junk food of the worst. Else I fully agree....basically everything depends. If you make a Pizza yourself...it is a very healthy food and very low fat....if you buy from Pizza Company it is one of the worst.