Wifi Network

Cloggie

I look for a WiFi network to cover about 90 detached villa's. Existing system does not seems to work and need to get replaced.

As it needs to be compliant with the Thai law, I look for a system that supports userid & password to login and loging of internet activity as required by law.

I already have a quotation from Motorola which is expensive so I look for alternatives now.

Anybody any suggestion?

Thanks,

Cloggie

You don't need to log the user's activities. Probably you will want to consider doing DIY e.g. getting 2nd hand linksys(flashed with 3rd party firmware) and get high gain antennas or alternatively make a chain of linksys with 3rd party firmware.

• Like 1

You don't need to log the user's activities. Probably you will want to consider doing DIY e.g. getting 2nd hand linksys(flashed with 3rd party firmware) and get high gain antennas or alternatively make a chain of linksys with 3rd party firmware.

Just to state the obvious it would help to draw out a ground plan of where the bungalows are with measurements so you can work out the best coverage from your routers. As another poster says it is quite an easy DIY job if you ask a few questions on this forum.

This is the problem, YOU DO - as we will make WiFi available for our guests, we are an "ISP" and so we must implement a logging system - see below:

Section 26. A service provider must store computer traffic data for at least ninety days from the date on which the data is input into a computer system. However, if necessary, a relevant competent official may instruct a service provider to store data for a period of longer than ninety days but not exceeding one year on a special case by case basis or on a temporary basis.

The service provider must keep the necessary information of the service user in order to be able to identify the service user from the beginning of the service provision, and such information must be kept for a further period not exceeding ninety days after the service agreement has been terminated.

The types of service provider to whom the provisions under paragraph one shall apply and the timing of this application shall be established by a Minister and published in the Government Gazette.

A service provider who fails to comply with this Section must be subject to a fine of not more than five hundred thousand baht.

I really dont think you would be classsed as a ISP and therefore dont need to log any data, but it doesnt really matter becuase the company who provides you with the internet are the ISP so therefore they will be logging the data.

It might be more complicated than that. I guess the purpose of the rule is that the government is able to pinpoint individual machine (user) in case there is criminal activity from the network.

ISP (let's say TOT as an example) can only see as far as the incoming line (ADSL, Fiber etc), but can not see what are the computers / hardware addresses behind the NATed network which the OP is offering the connections.

Therefore there might be some requirements to log the data or simply keep the DHCPd log files?

So if there would be an cyber criminal activity or similar from the shared network and the OP can not tell where the activity was originated, then he/she might be held responsible.

I really don't know the law, just try to 'reserve engineer' what is the meaning of the rule.

I'd like to know what means the computer traffic in "Section 26. A service provider must store computer traffic data for at least ninety days".

Oilinki is 100% correct, that is the problem! The ISP can trace it back to the Resort but with the internal logging system we are able to say, that guest with that userid and password visited that and that website otherwise we - the resort - are held responsible.

All big hotels and resort with WiFi must log users access and keep it for 90 days on their server, it may sound strange but that really is the case. Everybody, even guesthouses, bars and other places that offer WiFi must do this as well! Also if you have a company you must have a logging system in place, that's why so many people in 2007 were opposed this law..

• Like 1

pfsense (FreeBSD based) has captive portal capability, QoS (and you're going to seriously need that), load balancing if needed and all the logs (texts/graphical) you can possibly imagine. see the main features here: http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=43

let it be your main router/firewall and connect all the wireless APs to it.

Second the pfsense suggestion.

Cheap, reliable, load balancing/fail over, QoS and the lot, along with decent online support through forum...

Regular routers would overload very quickly with that many users...

Wouldn't worry on the logging issue too much.

Legaly even every internet cafe's should only allow users after copy of ID/passport is taken and logged.

None do!

On an even bigger scale, you can buy a sim card, stick some credit on and activate 3G, totally anonymous!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Have a look at http://worldspot.net/ you need a router (or a few routers) flashed with their firmware, gives password protection, logging, billing if required.

Whether it satisfies the requirements of the Computer Crimes Act is up to you to determine.

As noted earlier, your main ISP will keep the logs, you just need to be able to tie a particular user to those logs.

Cheap, reliable, load balancing/fail over, QoS and the lot, along with decent online support through forum...

Legaly even every internet cafe's should only allow users after copy of ID/passport is taken and logged.

None do!

On an even bigger scale, you can buy a sim card, stick some credit on and activate 3G, totally anonymous!

You are not as that SIM card is registered under your name :-)

Edited by Cloggie

None do!

Pre-pay sim cards aren't.

sent from my ..................#

None do!

Nope, pre-paid sim cards require no registration whatsoever.

Actually legally they do, but none of the providers comply!

don't worry about this law, it has never been enforced and hotel where i works don't have store/monitor logs however they do have a radius server(what a pain for the customers) so they can cut/open accounts for the duration of the guest's stay.