Mark Kent, New U K Ambassador To Thailand Tackles The Local Lingo

webfact

UK envoy tackles the local lingo

Nuthatai Chotechuang

The Nation

30192311-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- New UK Ambassador Mark Kent doesn't look like your usual reserved diplomat. He carries a black backpack almost everywhere, and it's heavy. So what's in there?

"Lots of books, actually too many. My iPad, and some bits and pieces. I'm a little bit messy. I should take some out and also to balance my shoulder," he says.

One of the many books he's reading now is the Thai version of the biography of Sir John Bowring, the British envoy to Thailand who sponsored the Bowring Treaty between the two countries 157 years ago.

He also carries around notebooks to practice writing Thai in his car or sometimes on the Skytrain.

Born in Horncastle, Lincolnshire, Kent has been in office for two months, but he has spent more than a year studying Thai at Khon Kaen University, Chiang Mai University and in Bangkok.

Thai is his sixth foreign language, after Vietnamese, Spanish, Dutch, French and Portuguese. And despite his busy schedule, he still finds time for Thai lessons twice a week. "A language is like an onion, as the more layers you peel off, the more layers you still need to peel off," Kent said in an interview with Nation Channel about the challenges in learning the local lingo. It was his first time to talk on TV in Thai.

"My teacher says I speak like a book, very official. I need to learn the spoken language, and I'm working on it".

He listens to Thai news on the radio while jogging in Lumpini Park, watches news and the Premier League football matches in Thai on TV, and even tweets in Thai on his iPad. He is using twitter @KentBKK to converse with Thai Arsenal fans. He says followers have to get used to some of his misspellings, but he's trying to get better.

Kent attended a political science course at Chulalongkorn University for a month before he was appointed, which helps him understand how history and politics are taught here.

He also has a better comprehension of this country's foreign policy. His four-year term will focus on trade and investment and tourism, making sure that 850,000 British travellers to Thailand each year are looked after properly.

"Trade and investment are a traditional element of the Thai-UK relationship and this year marks 400 years of official contact between the two countries and the first contact at that time was based on trade. My job is to ensure that people are aware of the opportunities available in Thailand."

Thailand remains an attractive investment destination despite all the troubles in recent years. But with the Asean Economic Community fast approaching, Thailand has to strategically plan how to take the economy forward, how much of the workforce needs to speak fluent English and how to secure enough energy to ensure the upward development part.

"But you cannot be complacent. Nobody in this globalised economy can be complacent."

So next time you're riding the Skytrain or going somewhere in Bangkok and see a man with a black rucksack, it could be Kent. Go and say "Sawasdee Krub" to him, and you'll be amazed with his Thai!

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-15

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear he is making the effort, and nice to have an English ambassador for a change.....

I assume that's racism rearing it's head again.

Yes it's good to hear he's making the effort. I wish I was so committed.

A bit of a contrast to a certain Mr Amsterdam who I saw on Youtube yesterday addressing a rally. Only managed Thai once and that was when he was told to at the end. Even I can manage to say hello and enquire if someone is OK. I would consider it impolite to do anything less.

Edited by kimamey

So next time you're riding the Skytrain or going somewhere in Bangkok and see a man with a black rucksack, it could be Kent. Go and say "Sawasdee Krub" to him, and you'll be amazed with his Thai!

He'd probably tell me there's nothing he could do for me or hand me a piece of paper with all the excessive charges for an embassy stamp, etc.

At £150 a pop plus courier for a standard passport, and APD on flights, most Brits can't afford to get past Dover these days.

• Like 1

Well if the bloke ain't married, the very best way to learn the language is to find a thai woman to sleep with, so sayeth the Thai people.coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

If this is the case, how come most of the dead beat expat retirees living with local women in Isaan can hardly speak enough Thai to order another Singha?

The Australian Embassy had someone who was very proud of the Thai he had learnt from his bargirl wife but it turned out to be a huge embarrassment when he tried to use it on Thai government officials. Hint: there are subtle differences in the language used by male and female Thai speakers, as well as regional differences and massive feudalistic class distinction.

• Like 1

The most newsworthy element has been omitted from the article, i.e that bacon and pork sausages can be now be served again at embassy breakfasts and that wine can once more be offered to the old soakers from the British Legion after the Remembrance Sunday parade, although the latter may of course be made a permanent cut by HMG.

Good to hear he is making the effort, and nice to have an English ambassador for a change.....

I assume that's racism rearing it's head again.

Yes it's good to hear he's making the effort. I wish I was so committed.

A bit of a contrast to a certain Mr Amsterdam who I saw on Youtube yesterday addressing a rally. Only managed Thai once and that was when he was told to at the end. Even I can manage to say hello and enquire if someone is OK. I would consider it impolite to do anything less.

Unlike the new ambo his remuneration package from Thaksin didn't include a course at Khon Kaen university.

• Like 1

I thought learning the local lingo for a politician was learning who to pay off.whistling.gif

I suspect he is more of a civil servant than a politician. Very few British Ambassadors, High Commissioners, Colonial Governors or even Political Advisors are appointed from the UK's political "class". Rather they are career civil servants usually from the FCO.

The replies - bar a couple - to this topic only demonstrate the crass stupidity of the posters. Think once, think twice - and then keep quiet if you haven't anything remotely intelligent to say.

This one is a perfect example of the vacuous posts referred to above.

• Like 2

I thought learning the local lingo for a politician was learning who to pay off.whistling.gif

I suspect he is more of a civil servant than a politician. Very few British Ambassadors, High Commissioners, Colonial Governors or even Political Advisors are appointed from the UK's political "class". Rather they are career civil servants usually from the FCO.

You are correct in your assumption and as one who served for a number of years in the B-E in Washington DC, I would say that 99% of Ambassadors are hard working and sociable individuals who do more than what is required of them . I wish him well in his new post !!!!

Here he is introducing himself and speaking for 2 minutes in Thai:

Pretty good effort and I think the Thais will regard this as "naa rak".

His teacher needs to correct his bor plaas. He is pronouncing them as aspirated "p"s, i.e. ไป (go) should be bpai not phai.

The last one who spoke Thai got himself involved in some funny business and had to take early retirement before ending up as a tame farang at Thai Bev. Hope this one keeps his nose clean.

• Like 1

Well if the bloke ain't married, the very best way to learn the language is to find a thai woman to sleep with, so sayeth the Thai people.coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

If this is the case, how come most of the dead beat expat retirees living with local women in Isaan can hardly speak enough Thai to order another Singha?

The Australian Embassy had someone who was very proud of the Thai he had learnt from his bargirl wife but it turned out to be a huge embarrassment when he tried to use it on Thai government officials. Hint: there are subtle differences in the language used by male and female Thai speakers, as well as regional differences and massive feudalistic class distinction.

Just maybe, . . he wouldn't marry an Isaan bargirl ?

What would his wife, Martine, have to say about that ?

Edited by bumpkin
  • Like 1

giggle.gif IF I SEE HIM AT THE BIER GARDEN I WILL SAY owa bout a spot of tea mate.giggle.gif

He has got off on a bad foot!!!

Supporting Arsenal implies that he doesn't have good taste and lacks intelligence so I, personally, don't see him staying in the job very long!!!wai2.gif.

• Like 2

Here he is introducing himself and speaking for 2 minutes in Thai:

Pretty good effort and I think the Thais will regard this as "naa rak".

His teacher needs to correct his bor plaas. He is pronouncing them as aspirated "p"s, i.e. ไป (go) should be bpai not phai.

The last one who spoke Thai got himself involved in some funny business and had to take early retirement before ending up as a tame farang at Thai Bev. Hope this one keeps his nose clean.

Hey, he's pretty good! Couple of tones a little off but great grammar - the Thais will certainly applaud him for his effort. And 'well spoken' Thai too, not street stuff. Good luck to Mr Kent in his posting.

Edited by Songhua
  • Like 1

OK in the first place the new ambassador is British and is the British ambassador.

Regarding the previous ambassador who was also British and the ambassador for Britain, I guess you are largely uninformed as to the good work he did for British jobs?

Clearly not aware of the work done by Mr Ahmad in helping securing this work for British people back in the UK.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/policy-and-business/news/sahaviriya-steel-industries-relights-redcar-blast-furnace/1012358.article

http://www.ssi-steel.co.uk/

This is likely the biggest foreign investment deal of last year although not widely reported in the media.

Britain is and has been a multicultural society for many generations and I for one am happy to be represented by both Mr Ahmad and the new ambassador.

I wish Mr Kent well in his endeavours, hopefully he will have similar success in promoting business between the UK and Thailand.

Sorry it was not my intention to offend our Jockanese cousins, although you will probably need your own ambassador in the near future......