Stray Bullet Slightly Injures 14 Year Old Girl As She Sleeps In Her Bed In Central Pattaya

Rimmer

Stray bullet slightly injures 14 year old girl as she sleeps in her bed in Central Pattaya

bullet-4.jpg

PATTAYA:--As a 14 year old girl slept in her bed, a bullet came through the roof of her family home and struck her on her knee. Police were called to the house of Khun Somnuk aged 58 in Soi 48 off Pattaya Third Road on Monday morning who reported the incident.

His 14 year old daughter who was asleep at the time was lucky to escape with only a minor flesh wound from the 9mm bullet which came through her bedroom ceiling. Although the girl was not too concerned her father was and would like Police to find out who is responsible. Police suspect someone had shot into the air close to the home and the bullet fell back to earth and unfortunately hit the house but fortunately landed in such a way as to not cause serious injury to the girl.

Full storyhttp://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/64001/stray-bullet-slightly-injures-14-year-girl-sleeps-bed-central-pattaya-2/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

it might come down but not at a velocity to cause damage, no more dangerous than a small stone falling from 2-300 feet, if this bullet did actually come through the room as described I suspect it was fired down from a nearby high building

• Like 1

it might come down but not at a velocity to cause damage, no more dangerous than a small stone falling from 2-300 feet, if this bullet did actually come through the room as described I suspect it was fired down from a nearby high building

Exactly what I was thinkings.. I saw Mythbusters cover this very scenario in one of their episodes - they established that the terminal falling velocity of a bullet shot into the air will never reach lethal velocity. The air resistance of the falling bullet keeps it slow enough that only mass makes a difference on impact and the mass of the falling bullet is not very high.

Either the roof was paper thin, or the bullet was fired down from above.

Exactly what I was thinkings.. I saw Mythbusters cover this very scenario in one of their episodes - they established that the terminal falling velocity of a bullet shot into the air will never reach lethal velocity. The air resistance of the falling bullet keeps it slow enough that only mass makes a difference on impact and the mass of the falling bullet is not very high.

Either the roof was paper thin, or the bullet was fired down from above.

There are studies showing that a falling bullet can reach terminal velocity of over 150 m/s, so yes, it’s quite dangerous.

Mythbusters, well talking about TV shows, there was a CSI episode a few years ago, when a woman died in a similar scenario smile.png

Frightening...

Even if the bullet was fired up in to the air, there must have been a lot force in it to take it through the ceiling (and roof), fortunately that dissipated most of the energy, it is horrible to think what could of happened had the bullet come through a window.

Frightening...

Even if the bullet was fired up in to the air, there must have been a lot force in it to take it through the ceiling (and roof), fortunately that dissipated most of the energy, it is horrible to think what could of happened had the bullet come through a window.

lets not call it a bullet for the moment as it might confuse people, if the small object is free falling straight down it will reach it's terminal velocity in about 250 feet, so even if it was dropped from 10,000 feet it will not get any faster, now looking at the pictures in the news report it looks like this object came straight down through the roof and hit the girl on the leg - unless it got a deflection of some sort (which is possible) this was not a free falling object, only a proper investigation will discover what actually happened but one thing is for sure - it didn't free fall unaided and penetrate the roof.

Does anyone really believe there will be a "proper investigation"? No,, a falling bullet will not go through the roof and celing!

But what is more strange, is the laughing girl, or should I say "frightening", since it just shows that shootings are no big thing here. A normal girl would be screaming her head off at this time. Guess she sees so many soap operas, where shooting and laughing are mixed together, along with a couple of "boooooiiiiiinnnng's, just so the audience knows when to laugh, after someone got their head blown off!

lets not call it a bullet for the moment as it might confuse people, if the small object is free falling straight down it will reach it's terminal velocity in about 250 feet, so even if it was dropped from 10,000 feet it will not get any faster ....

You are already confused.

Terminal velocity is irrelevant here and you are confusing two totally different things. Bullets don't "free fall straight down" unless they are fired "straight up" (vertically), which simply doesn't happen, or from an altitude (usually over 1,500 metres). They travel in an arc and even the cheapest 9mm round can be lethal for several hundred meters and can cause injury out to, as far as I can recall, around 1,800 metres.

In Iraq in 2007 four people were reported killed and 20 others injured in Baghdad from "celebratory fire" when the national football team won the AFC Cup, and its a regular occurrence elsewhere.

There is nothing to indicate that the round was fired either from "close to the home" as "Police suspect" and even less to indicate that "it was fired down from a nearby high building" as you "suspect". If "it was fired down from a nearby high building" it would have had far more kinetic energy at a range of, say, a hundred metres, caused considerably more damage, and been considerably more damaged - the energy evidently wasn't absorbed by the roof and the ceiling as the bullet pictured is surprisingly undamaged and unmarked.

Rounds fired into the air are dangerous and do kill.