Britain, Scotland Sign Deal For Independence Referendum

News_Editor

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually - if my memory serves me correctly, there was a period some years ago when Salmond was ambivalent about independence. Joking aside - Salmond is known and feared for his intellect in both Holyrood and Westminster. I met a Westminster MP many years ago who commented even then on the fact that no matter what people threw at him, eventually he was always able to use it to his advantage. Cameron is a relative new-comer in politics - not to say he isn't clever, but in a different mould maybe.

The whole performance about Scotlands Independence referendum is a fascnating play to watch on so many levels. I still maintain that it is a model of good democracy in action, especially given the unhurried way it is being done.

Salmond clever?

In your dreams.

Cameron set a trap, and Salmond walked right in.

hehe cheesy.gif - they're both Scots -- goodness knows what they're cooking up between them.... ;)

What a terrible thing to say about David Cameron.Over 20yrs ago while attending New Years celebrations in a hotel here in Thailand,a young American lady,on hearing my Yorkshire accent,ask me if I was Scottish,this I consider to be the greatest insult I have ever received,and believe you me,I've received many in my time.

In reply to phuketjock: Thai teachers in government schools are civil servants, and have civil service grades. You must have noticed their uniforms.

In reply to StreetCowboy: A nightmare scenario would be the seizing of oil flows to resolve a payment dispute in respect of the pre-split national debt. I imagine contingency plans and even their existence would be extremely sensitive. I can also imagine intelligence networks being set up.

Nationality issues are complicated but clear. I know you have a good understanding of how that works - you can do the job for the new Scottish Passport Agency maybe ? wink.png (consultancy only of course - non-scots are not allowed to work for the Scottish government! ) j/k laugh.png

Such an outright ban would be contrary to EU rules!

In reply to phuketjock: Thai teachers in government schools are civil servants, and have civil service grades. You must have noticed their uniforms.

In reply to StreetCowboy: A nightmare scenario would be the seizing of oil flows to resolve a payment dispute in respect of the pre-split national debt. I imagine contingency plans and even their existence would be extremely sensitive. I can also imagine intelligence networks being set up.

Nationality issues are complicated but clear. I know you have a good understanding of how that works - you can do the job for the new Scottish Passport Agency maybe ? wink.png (consultancy only of course - non-scots are not allowed to work for the Scottish government! ) j/k laugh.png

Such an outright ban would be contrary to EU rules!

So Thai teachers work for the government, or are civil servants in Thailand employed by

some other agency??

Thai teachers in private Thai schools are employed by the schools.

Teachers in UK schools are employed by local government except for teachers in private

schools who are employed by the schools, I fail to see the difference

There will be no seizing of oil or anything else as far it goes it has yet again been pointed

out some time ago on this thread the oil belongs to the oil companies and the oil revenues

will go to the respective governments who have juristiction over the long established areas

from which the oil is extracted!!!!!

coffee1.gif

I think you will find Thais, Italians and others on the electoral roll for Westminster.

Not in virtue of those nationalities - see http://www.parliamen...tions/register/ .

'Not in virtue of' means 'not because of'. Thus a Thai would only appear on the list of those to vote in an election to the British parliament because of some other nationality held - usually British, but Australian would be just as valid.

An Italian would be on the electoral register so that he can vote in local elections, including the Scottish Parliament where applicable, and elections to the European Parliament, but would only be able to vote in an election to the British parliament if he also held Irish or a commonwealth nationality.

I fear we'll now argue over what 'electoral roll for Westminster' means.

• Like 1

I think you will find Thais, Italians and others on the electoral roll for Westminster.

Not in virtue of those nationalities - see http://www.parliamen...tions/register/ .

'Not in virtue of' means 'not because of'. Thus a Thai would only appear on the list of those to vote in an election to the British parliament because of some other nationality held - usually British, but Australian would be just as valid.

An Italian would be on the electoral register so that he can vote in local elections, including the Scottish Parliament where applicable, and elections to the European Parliament, but would only be able to vote in an election to the British parliament if he also held Irish or a commonwealth nationality.

I fear we'll now argue over what 'electoral roll for Westminster' means.

Why can plain english not be used.

Any person from anywhere in the world who has become a British citizen through legal means

can register on the electorial roll of the constituency that they reside in YES or NO??? provided

they meet the requirements to register.

So anyone in the world could vote in elections in Britain provided they met the necessary

criteria. Flowery language does not encourage people to take heed of what you are trying to

say or help them to understand your point.

sad.png

So Thai teachers work for the government, or are civil servants in Thailand employed by

some other agency??

Teachers in UK schools are employed by local government except for teachers in private

It comes down to where restrictions by nationality (as opposed to right to work) may be imposed.

There will be no seizing of oil or anything else as far it goes it has yet again been pointed out some time ago on this thread the oil belongs to the oil companies and the oil revenues will go to the respective governments who have juristiction over the long established areas

Possession is 90% of the law, and just turning off flows could be quite effective. As I said, it's a nightmare scenario.

Tell me that in 2015. 7 thumbsup.gif

Scotland will be independant by then the pleasure will be all mine Sir biggrin.png

No, Scotland won't be independent by then. Most estimates I've seen suggest it would be two years from referendum to independence.

You are, I have noticed, a bit of an expert on suggestions, speculation and conjecture on

and in just about every post you have made. No one here including you and me can predict

what or how, or for that matter when things will unfold if and when Scotland becomes

independant. So it is somewhat futile to believe that your point of view is any more valid

than anyone elses'. coffee1.gif

some other agency??

It comes down to where restrictions by nationality (as opposed to right to work) may be imposed.

There will be no seizing of oil or anything else as far it goes it has yet again been pointed out some time ago on this thread the oil belongs to the oil companies and the oil revenues will go to the respective governments who have juristiction over the long established areas

Possession is 90% of the law, and just turning off flows could be quite effective. As I said, it's a nightmare scenario.

Only Shell, Chevron, etc have the right to turn off the oil. This topic has been talked to death earlier in this thread. It is NOT Scotland's or England's oil. It belongs to the oil companies...

• Like 2

Scotland will be independant by then the pleasure will be all mine Sir biggrin.png

No, Scotland won't be independent by then. Most estimates I've seen suggest it would be two years from referendum to independence.

Good good -- that will be plenty of time to resolve all these difficult problems you see... ;)

You are, I have noticed, a bit of an expert on suggestions, speculation and conjecture on

and in just about every post you have made. No one here including you and me can predict

what or how, or for that matter when things will unfold if and when Scotland becomes

independant. So it is somewhat futile to believe that your point of view is any more valid

Dear pot; yours kettle!

• Like 1

some other agency??

The only people who could turn off the flow are the oil conpanies and as that

would deprive them of their revenue that is a highly unlikely senario. You seem

to have missed the fact that the oil is the property of the oil conpanies, so what

is the significance of " Possesion is 90% of the law "???

Dear pot; yours kettle!

Thank you head pot. biggrin.png

I would like to see the wording of the referendum question.

I would also like to know what the Scottish Parliament's stance would be frozen annual increases of UK pensioners,

Right can of worms opening up with the porridge, whisky and haggis.

• Like 1

I would also like to know what the Scottish Parliament's stance would be frozen annual increases of UK pensioners,

You'll see it on referendum day, but it has been agreed that it is a single, simple question only needing a YES or NO answer.

If you are referring to frozen increases when abroad - I'd imagine that Scotland will stick with the status quo until new agreements between countries can be reached.

Go to www.scotland.gov.uk

and you will I think find the answers to your questions and many more besides nong

wai.gif

Any person from anywhere in the world who has become a British citizen through legal means

can register on the electorial roll of the constituency that they reside in YES or NO??? provided

So anyone in the world could vote in elections in Britain provided they met the necessary

criteria. Flowery language does not encourage people to take heed of what you are trying to

sad.png

I thought we had to be resident. As an expat, I can vote in the constituency of my last UK resident, but I do not have evidence of residency (not least because I am non-resident). This election is different from our other elections - expatriates will not get a vote, but some schoolchildren will.

SC

sad.png

I thought we had to be resident. As an expat, I can vote in the constituency of my last UK resident, but I do not have evidence of residency (not least because I am non-resident). This election is different from our other elections - expatriates will not get a vote, but some schoolchildren will.

SC

SC I did say " provided they met the necessary criteria "

and you will I think find the answers to your questions and many more besides nong

wai.gif

Dammit - that link should have been posted last week and saved a lot of hot air in here ;)

wai.gif

Dammit - that link should have been posted last week and saved a lot of hot air in here wink.png

I have posted it umpteen times but the hotairians seem to read it and run. cheesy.gif

It doesn't seem to appeal to them, I don't know why?

Edited by phuketjock

sad.png

SC

SC I did say " provided they met the necessary criteria "

Just to make it clear:

AS I UNDERSTAND IT:

If you are a British citizen, you can register on the electoral role in your district of residence in the UK. If you have registered in a district, but are no longer resident, you can still vote in that district by postal ballot for general elections and bye-elections.

This is NOT the case for the referendum on Scottish independence. Only voters who are resident in Scotland will be allowed to vote. Expatriates, and British voters resident in England etc will not be eligible to vote (as I understand it). This is different from British parliamentary elections mentioned above.

SC

wai.gif

That's worse than "Flower of Scotland", that web site is. I'm appalled that the Scottish government are supporting such miserable whinging

*"As a nation, we have done a lot of exploring – we were a sovereign, independent country, and then gave our independence away.

We helped to build an empire, and saw it decay.

We transformed a rural economy into the workshop of the world – and then watched as the work left.

We discovered oil and stood by as the revenues were spent by others. "

* Sorry, I don't know how to fix the line spacing, perhaps someone could tell me how to revert to single line spacing?

The fact is that we established a united nation, we didn't give away independence. If we stood idly by and saw the empire decay, it was our own inaction that was responsible, but in fact we did not; we established an empire, and saw it flourish and thrive on its own. We were the workshop, the foundry, of the world, until we could find others to do the grimy, harsh and dirty work involved, then we left those jobs and moved onwards and upwards.

You may want to see thousands toiling for pennies on the Clyde in shipywards again, yoiu may wish to compete with the wages of Colombian and Indonesian coal miners, but I do not.

SC