Here We Go Again...choices...manual 1St Car For Son? Under 700K!

frankphuket

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whow, that's a suprising answer from Mr.Chevrolet...biggrin.png

What happened, blown head gasket on the Cruzetongue.png`?

Just joking... Whats the real reason?

Super-reliable and without trouble... Actually, he has been saying that his previous car was a City. thumbsup.gif

What are you talking about Eco car has same battery as any other.

What are you talking about, Eco battries are Larger than normal which means more Mining/Contamination. Also will have a big impact on Energy grid, more Pollution. Lithium is one of 6 types of Eco Batteries and as Tibet is one of the Worlds main sources having your Lithium is helping China exploit Tibet, on a side note Lithium is used as a sedative so see if you can get hold of some and have a lie down.

Batteries in the eco cars are the same as any other cars. Don't confuse them with batteries used in hybrid cars such as the camry and prius.

Google Eco Battery and dont be Surprised that Lithium is at the top, Maybe I,m wrong please let me Know but regardless why a Prius doesn,t fit your Catagory of Eco which Google also has a an Eco car

What are you talking about, Eco battries are Larger than normal which means more Mining/Contamination. Also will have a big impact on Energy grid, more Pollution. Lithium is one of 6 types of Eco Batteries and as Tibet is one of the Worlds main sources having your Lithium is helping China exploit Tibet, on a side note Lithium is used as a sedative so see if you can get hold of some and have a lie down.

Batteries in the eco cars are the same as any other cars. Don't confuse them with batteries used in hybrid cars such as the camry and prius.

Google Eco Car and lo and behold Prius pops up.

Aren't eco cars in Thailand those flimsy looking rollerskates with aircon, like the Mitsu Mirage, Mazda 2 etc. Eco, as in economical on the wallet? Until they hit a typical Thai pothole sad.png

Edited by MESmith

Thanks to Tom Cruze instigating this Post im definately going for a City,on BHP per Ton alone,its much faster, smaller, better looking when blinged.I was quite keen before i read all the views here.God knows who developed the Engine, a Ford 2 Litre in a City would be nice.biggrin.gif

I can't wait to get out of the City. Commuting 100KM per day on that after 6 1/2 years is no fun.

Basically, now, the Honday City has been renamed, the Honda Brio. I took this pic not long ago

78f960ab.jpg

and the Honda Civic has turned into a slightly bigger Honda City.

Honda Cars are crap at the moment.

Or this one:

Honda City?

Hahaha

That's what I drive now. It's absolute crap compared to the Cruze.

Honda makes cheap overpriced cars. You can compare the Cruze to a focus. But not to a city.

And the sloppy on bends, I guess you mean when you turn? I disagree. There are plenty of independent Cruze track testing videos that goes in complete contradiction with that. It didn't feel sloppy at all when I drove it. It's not a "sports car", so it won't feel sporty. The 2012 focus will feel a lot sportier on bends.

When will you get the Ford Hatchback though?

And now:

Do yourself and your son a favor and get a Honda City. Whether you like it or not. Just go buy one.

And forget about the looks and all the bullshit.

Trust me. Get a Honda City. You'll thank me in 5-6 years.

That's a change of mind just after one year of enjoyment in the best car ever built...

• Like 1

Assuming your son is a teenager, the first prerequisite that springs to mind is "something not fast" - quickly realizing that that's a gimme in Thailand, the next thing the springs to mind is "something with stability control and ABS". Then I start thinking of options, and there's only one in the price range - a Fiesta.

Buy your kid a car, not a coffin! wink.png

Good points but don't the extra safety gear like stability control come with the power shift version. As the OP originally said (point 3) the basic manual is only in the little sedan, which does not have quite the same look.

I was ignoring all of that and just imagining it was my kid, and what I'd buy if limited to that kind of budget ;)

The phrase 'eco car' has a special meaning in Thailand - here it specifically refers to cars that qualify for special tax breaks under the governments 'eco car scheme' - which means: Thai assembled, engine no larger than 1,300cc, must achieve at least 20KM/L, and the base model must retail for less than 400,000 Baht.

In return, these cars 'only' attract 17% excise tax, instead of the 25/30% excise that would otherwise be applicable to them.

New March 'E' Manual cost 425,000 baht, so money over to make it into a young guys car ?

Something like this ? http://www.one2car.c...MARCH/I05120326

I would slap my son left and right if he would ever 'castrate' a car this way. Orange outside with red interior bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Personally i don't like the March much anyhow....but sure a Swift can be easily changed to something quite funky...just a bit wrap here and there...

I would say right now: Swift and good old Jazz are my favs....

New March 'E' Manual cost 425,000 baht, so money over to make it into a young guys car ?

Something like this ? http://www.one2car.c...MARCH/I05120326

I would slap my son left and right if he would ever 'castrate' a car this way. Orange outside with red interior bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Personally i don't like the March much anyhow....but sure a Swift can be easily changed to something quite funky...just a bit wrap here and there...

I would say right now: Swift and good old Jazz are my favs....

There's plenty of nice swifts being done up tastefully in LoS. There's also a swift sport bodykit available now, among other parts.

Edited by culicine

Although some Swifts or Marchs may look cool for the entrained eyes, with expensive body kits, custom paint and alloy wheels, most people will find it totally ridiculous to spend close to hundred of thousand thb, just to make an Eco car with a tiny motor look "sporty".

It's almost on par with the guys who buy a pickup truck, a vehicle primarily designed for farmers, and then put huge 20" racing wheels on it :D

Although some Swifts or Marchs may look cool for the entrained eyes, with expensive body kits, custom paint and alloy wheels, most people will find it totally ridiculous to spend close to hundred of thousand thb, just to make an Eco car with a tiny motor look "sporty".

It's almost on par with the guys who buy a pickup truck, a vehicle primarily designed for farmers, and then put huge 20" racing wheels on it biggrin.png

Some wings and paint jobs must cost the earth

post-42643-0-44257300-1350958311_thumb.j

Last Sunday was a VW new Bettle on red plates, only a single colour but that was Vivid Pink !!

sure some of what I see are totally ridiculous, some so lowered no idea how they manage a speed bump, others way off the ground.. No Not Pickup, but Jazz, March etc...... other look very cool, start with the right colour and add a pin strip, or a colored band, some very nice and taste full Swifts and Fista's about........ appears new fashion is floral strips or mirrors or sill covered in this floral pattern

Edited by ignis

It's almost on par with the guys who buy a pickup truck, a vehicle primarily designed for farmers, and then put huge 20" racing wheels on it biggrin.png

It's the same reason a dog licks it's balls...because they can laugh.png Like in other places such extra expenses are never recovered on resale - for me, I'd keep the OEM parts and swap them back onto the vehicle when reselling - then sell the parts privately.

Assuming your son is a teenager, the first prerequisite that springs to mind is "something not fast" - quickly realizing that that's a gimme in Thailand, the next thing the springs to mind is "something with stability control and ABS". Then I start thinking of options, and there's only one in the price range - a Fiesta.

Good points but don't the extra safety gear like stability control come with the power shift version. As the OP originally said (point 3) the basic manual is only in the little sedan, which does not have quite the same look.

Yes, it's strange that you can't buy a 5dr hatchback with a manual gearbox in Thailand.

Only the 4dr saloon which looks too ugly for me.

Yes, it's strange that you can't buy a 5dr hatchback with a manual gearbox in Thailand.

Only the 4dr saloon which looks too ugly for me.

Mazda 2 has a hatchback manual, but not for the fiesta. Jazz also has a hatchback manual. Both have twin airbags and abs.

I would start with asking my son what he likes and than apply old common sense...and get him what he actually needs...like a safe transportation to school and back...or go by f$%#n bus...wink.png

You mean a Skytrain ticket?

Seriously safe is good as is a little bit of handling so he has some chance of getting out of trouble. I know my jag saved me many times when another car wouldn't in my young days.,

A little bit over 700k would get your son the Civic 1.8 manual!It's crash test can be seen on youtube...

The New manual Ford Focus is cheaper and a better car..The New Civic is near the bottom of it class

Don't know where you guys get you figures from but you will not get a new civic or focus for just over 700,000 baht, the focus i am sure starts from 823,000 baht.

The OP says under 700,000 baht.

For me i would buy the top model city at 704,000 baht just a tad over.

Don't know where you guys get you figures from but you will not get a new civic or focus for just over 700,000 baht, the focus i am sure starts from 823,000 baht.

Manual City costing 704,000 baht blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

No idea where you getting that price, the only 5 speed Manual City is in 'S' trim and cost 559,000 baht......

the only 5 speed Manual Civic is in 'S' trim and cost 773,000 baht...... 1.8 engine.. release date May 2012

The only 5 speed Manual Focus comes in 'Ambiente' Trim with 1.6i engine and cost 749,000 baht..... release date Aug 2012..

Well that is what is stated on Honda and Ford website

For a youngster a Hatch looks much better, Suzuki Swift looks the best.

No idea where you getting that price, the only 5 speed Manual City is in 'S' trim and cost 559,000 baht......

the only 5 speed Manual Civic is in 'S' trim and cost 773,000 baht...... 1.8 engine.. release date May 2012

The only 5 speed Manual Focus comes in 'Ambiente' Trim with 1.6i engine and cost 749,000 baht..... release date Aug 2012..

The top model has auto yes, but has paddle shift so can go through the gears, i know not manual but for the price the top model is a better option and can than the standard 5 speed city.

The top model has auto yes, but has paddle shift so can go through the gears, i know not manual but for the price the top model is a better option and can than the standard 5 speed city.

Little difficult for him to use a clutch in a Auto City even with paddle shift

To be honest, I think Automatic transmissions are the way of the future.

No idea about what is on the [new drivers] driver licence here re Manual v auto........... in UK if you took your test in an Auto then you cannot drive a manual, know a few people that have great problems going on holiday and renting a car.........

Would make sense for a youngster to have experience of driving with a clutch as well as Auto, they may well end up later living somewhere where Automatics are few.