Isuzu Dmax 2010 Model Going Home For 6 Months Question Re Battery

I am going home for 6 months and would value some expert opinions about what to do with my Isuzu Dmaz battery while I am away. I cannot leave the keys with anyone to start the engine on a regular basis unfortunately.

Should I leave it connected and accept it will most likely be dead upon my return? If so can I buy a battery charger and charge it up again? Will this work?

Or simply disconnect it while I am away which will mean GPS unit and maybe other items will need to be reset when I come back?

I will ask my Isuzu dealer soon to get their opinion but I am looking for some independent advice from people who have been through a similar situation to this.

Any helpful replies are most appreciated.

A trickle charger only has low amperage charge, that's why it's called a trickle charge.

If you do buy one then make sure it has a built in cut out if you're thinking about leaving on

charge for 6 months.

If you just remove the battery and reconnect it on your return you may be lucky and it will have enough

charge in it to start, depends on the initial condition of the battery before you disconnect it.

I had a trickle charger connected for 10 years or more, when the ride was locked up for the winter or not used. The one l bought trickled milliamp's so nooooo probs. thumbsup.gif

Are you going to tell me if the electric supply suddenly jumps to 300volts it won't cause any damage also what if lightning strikes it won't flow into the car system and fry it.

I had a trickle charger connected for 10 years or more, when the ride was locked up for the winter or not used. The one l bought trickled milliamp's so nooooo probs. thumbsup.gif

Are you going to tell me if the electric supply suddenly jumps to 300volts it won't cause any damage also what if lightning strikes it won't flow into the car system and fry it.

The gadget had a fail safe feature. In fact all my hotrod chums had one as the rides saw little use.

Hey, be careful when you get out of YOU ride in case lightning strikes eh. laugh.png

I have an ISUZU D-MAX in OZ and one in Pattaya. I travel back and forward, staying in each place from 3mts to 6 mts.

1. I disconnect the battery and lock the car with the key.

2. I fill the fuel tank right up, this stops any condensation forming in the fueltank while you are away.

3. I blow the tyres up to 50PSI, this keeps them round and stops any flat spots.

4. Leave it in gear, with the handbrake off. If the handbrake is left on it tends to make it stick on your return. Only for a short while though.

Been doing this for 9 years now, never had a problem.

do a google on charge and maintain i used these small chargers on the classic cars i had for years. i have one in thailand and use it on a pickup i do not use much. a car battery is not a deep cycle battery and unless kept fully charged do not last as long

Wont they disconnect your electric meter after 2 months if not paid ? they do here, I would just disconnect it, and take a chance, specially if the battery is near 3 years old,

Go to the electric company and give them a bond.

I have an ISUZU D-MAX in OZ and one in Pattaya. I travel back and forward, staying in each place from 3mts to 6 mts.

1. I disconnect the battery and lock the car with the key.

2. I fill the fuel tank right up, this stops any condensation forming in the fueltank while you are away.

3. I blow the tyres up to 50PSI, this keeps them round and stops any flat spots.

4. Leave it in gear, with the handbrake off. If the handbrake is left on it tends to make it stick on your return. Only for a short while though.

Been doing this for 9 years now, never had a problem.

I must say that this all sounds like very sensible advice; but if you can get a 'Trickle charger' connected and maybe put a 'Surge Suppressor lead in front of this you will have the best of both worlds. Just as an aside re batteries in general, I recently had to replace my battery in my five and half year old Foretuner, 'Sod's law' of course applying, as I was in Kuala Lumpur at the time and strangely enough only days before I had begun to wonder just how long my battery would last out here in the tropics. Absolutely amazed that it lasted so long and it just went completely flat - not even a glimmer of anything in it in the space of 5 days of being parked up. Prior to this the car never missed a beat whilst starting at the touch of the key.

I have the same model as the OP and if leaving it standing for longer period, I disconnect the battery and pump the tyres to their max pressure which may be less than the 50psi someone here mentioned. Max pressure is stamped on the sidewall of your tyres. Unless you can jack it up and let the axles rest on blocks, that would be best. And your gps won't be bothered being disconnected, it has a memory. Also do not leave any windows open. Rats. When I return I charge the battery on low amps until it has over 13V before reconnecting it. I do not have a trickle charger, just a normal one. Also check you have sufficient fluid in the battery cells.

Of course when disconnecting the battery the alarm won't work. This is a bit of chance though. It depends on the quality of your battery too. By doing this and leaving it for six months, you may find, when returning, that your battery has gone down to 9-10 Volts or lower still. In this case you may be able to recharge it up over 12V but it has been damaged and it won't last very long.