Thailand To Host Bangkok Grand Prix In 2014: Govt

george

Thailand to host Bangkok Grand Prix in 2014: govt

be.jpeg

Bernie Ecclestone. File photo

Thai government claims to have struck deal to host Bangkok Grand Prix in 2014 http://t.co/wxRf90G5 #thai #thailand #GrandPrix

Thailand's government sports authority says it has struck an in-principle deal to host a Formula One race in Bangkok in 2014, with negotiations ongoing about the hosting fee, according to a report in The Nation newspaper.

Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, was quoted as saying "Formula One has decided to include Thailand in its 2014 season calendar" with a race slated for November. [read more ]

Full story: http://www.independe...14-8216105.html

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do they have a race track already made in Thailand?

I have seen how slow construction is here, unless it is

already made, there is little to no chance it will be ready

for 2014.

There is a house beside my condo that has been under

construction for 18 months .... so far

IMO it is a stupid event for Thailand to host ... money could

be spend on so many better things ... such as education ....

Then again Thai gov't do not want the people educated.

F1 is an event for the rich and most Thais cannot afford

It would bring an additions of 10's of thousands of what you describe as "rich" people into the country which in turn would dump a lot of money into the economy. Also, the Grand Prix is held on city streets and speeds vary depending on the country's street (circuit). I'm not a big fan but lived in LA and have been in Singapore when the events were held. I believe top speed in Singapore is about 185 MPH and Long Beach is 240 MPH..

Singapore pays a hosting fee 1.2 billion baht ($39.2 million) per year.

They gonna need very deep pockets to pull this off.

But heck, the taxpayer shoulders a largest chunk anyway.

Current proposal is for 40% of this fee to be covered by sponsors and typically people host such events because it is an investment in terms of increased visitors, especially to a country like Thailand which would see many more people visit the country who might not have. Basically like a huge advertisement.

• Like 1

for 2014.

It would bring an additions of 10's of thousands of what you describe as "rich" people into the country which in turn would dump a lot of money into the economy. Also, the Grand Prix is held on city streets and speeds vary depending on the country's street (circuit). I'm not a big fan but lived in LA and have been in Singapore when the events were held. I believe top speed in Singapore is about 185 MPH and Long Beach is 240 MPH..

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

Edited by sjjmmi

for 2014.

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

Singapore - "top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph)" http://www.vivaf1.com/singapore.php

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero.com/2010-toyota-grand-prix-long-beach-indycar-alms-world-challenge-recap-results/

May I suggest to hold the GP in Pattaya, if I close my eyes I can see the GP already : Banglamung => Naklua => Beach Road => Walking Street => over the hill back to Second Road, left at Soi 6

Can't wait.....

Not sure of the exact route your talking about but when this came up the other day in conversation with a friend, I too visualized it in Pattaya (Beach Road) .... would make for good TV but I think politically and logistically the Bangkok choice shouldn't surprise us..

Edited by Nisa

for 2014.

Singapore - "top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph)" http://www.vivaf1.com/singapore.php

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero....-recap-results/

The top speed ever acheived by a formula one car during a race was 369.9 km/h (229.8 mph) set during the 2004 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Italy by driver Antônio Pizzonia of the BMW Williams F1 team driving the FW26 powered by a BMW 3.0 litre v10.

With Red Bull sponsoring and one of the teams being Ferrari, one hopes the Thai police stay out the way...whistling.gif

One assumes based on the outrage against Red Bull due to recent events, one assumes large numbers of TV's finest will be boycotting this event and writing to the F1 governing body in protest ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

If it is actually held, no doubt it will be seen in many circles as a step forward, it is without doubt a big money maker, my concerns are where the money ends up!

Thailand so wants to be recognized on the world stage as a developed country the problem is that they are trying to run before they can walk!

They make all the right noises, 'stamp out corruption' 'all Gov. dealings to be transparent' 'education reforms' 'medical care' etc etc

Sad truth is that nothing will change in the foreseeable future!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

If it is actually held, no doubt it will be seen in many circles as a step forward, it is without doubt a big money maker, my concerns are where the money ends up!

Thailand so wants to be recognized on the world stage as a developed country the problem is that they are trying to run before they can walk!

They make all the right noises, 'stamp out corruption' 'all Gov. dealings to be transparent' 'education reforms' 'medical care' etc etc

Sad truth is that nothing will change in the foreseeable future!coffee1.gif

I dont know why you are so worried all the tourist police will be fluent in English in 6 months....getting set up for F1 race....piece of cake...the goverment has spoken

• Like 1

for 2014.

240 mph? Maybe in a jet flying over head. Have raced GT3 Cup and RSR there. 160 - 170 was about limit at LB. Some of the prototype cars may get close to 200.

for 2014.

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero.com/2010-toyota-grand-prix-long-beach-indycar-alms-world-challenge-recap-results/

Haha, this is what happens when educated by Google. That is top speed of the car and not the track. Car could hit 240 mph if drove it straight down a runway or something similar.

• Like 2