Sylvia Kristel, Star Of Emmanuelle, Dies

Basil B

Sylvia Kristel, star of Emmanuelle, dies

The convent-educated actress was arguably the first star of adult cinema

Dutch actress Sylvia Kristel, who starred in the 1974 erotic French film Emmanuelle, has died aged 60.

"She died during the night during her sleep," her agent, Marieke Verharen, told the AFP news agency.

The actress, who had cancer, was admitted to hospital in July after suffering a stroke.

Emmanuelle, which told the story of a sexually promiscuous housewife, spawned numerous sequels and played in a cinema on the Champs-Elysees for 11 years.

Released in 1974, the soft-focus French film was one of the first erotic movies to be shown in mainstream cinemas.

Kristel herself attributed its success to the changing censorship laws of the era.

"In a lot of countries the light went on, and that contributed very much to the success," she said.

In the UK, however, the film was eventually given the restricted X-rating, having suffered heavy cuts. The unedited version did not appear in the country until 2007.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-19990457

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-10-18

A few days ago I stumbled on the Emmanuelle TV Channel on the Thaicom C-band satellite and had good hopes that it was related to the movie.

Unfortunately the concept of the tv channel seemed to be the exact opposite.

The movies had nothing on the original books, which are my favourites written by a Thai/half Thai and which I discovered later my parents had... but Sylvia was hot, yes. R.I.P.

The movies had nothing on the original books, which are my favourites written by a Thai/half Thai and which I discovered later my parents had... but Sylvia was hot, yes. R.I.P.

Probable the best parts ended up on the cutting room floor after the censors had their wicked way...

RIP Sylvia.

• 3 weeks later...

The Eurasian woman Emmanuelle is based upon, Marayat Rollet-Andriane (born in Bangkok in 1932 as Marayat Bibidh), is apparently still alive and resident here.

Her French husband used the pen name Emmanuelle Arsan to write the original novels. Marayat herself used the same name for the credits in two films she appeared in, The Sand Pebbles (1966, with Steve McQueen) and Laure (1976). Laure was was later rereleased as Forever Emmanuelle.