Infection

Dancealot

This is what happens when walking the land and helping the thai farmers out on thai soil barefoot(pic nr.1). 2nd picture is a nasty infection result after 2 weeks working on the land. Luckily i had a good pharmacist in lom sak and he took care my antibiotics and i took his pill cure 1 week. Still took 1 month to heal. Anyone had experience with this? I will be on the land soon again and i will have to go barefoot. But i am afraid my body will not be resistant to the infection.

post-70928-0-85411600-1350665989_thumb.j

post-70928-0-57654000-1350666954_thumb.j

Edited by Dancealot

have same thing (sort of like a weeping boil or ulcer) on arms and leg...seem to initiate from mosquito bites /open wound. Topical antibiotic powder and oral antibiotics seem to work but been two months now and just got a new one..at site of mozzie bite!

I was wondering if some insect like mossie or... is carrying something coupled with all the fricking rain and being continually damp.

Firstly got a huge painful one on my leg after sweeping out an old shed with loads of mouse/rat droppings.

Sort of like an Aussie white tail spider bite....or salt water boil.?

As soon as it stops raining gotta get off the farm for a week or so!!!

Edited by David006

I recommend you get yourself a small tube of "Fucidin". About 120B & will last you all year.

It is a topical antibiotic containing fucidic acid.

I put it on all wounds as soon as I've washed them.

I've never had a wound get infected after I've put this stuff on.

& its cleared up a couple of infections that had already set in.

Maybe a good idea to get a tetanus booster shot to.

• Like 1

I recommend you get yourself a small tube of "Fucidin". About 120B & will last you all year.

It is a topical antibiotic containing fucidic acid.

I put it on all wounds as soon as I've washed them.

I've never had a wound get infected after I've put this stuff on.

& its cleared up a couple of infections that had already set in.

Maybe a good idea to get a tetanus booster shot to.

Using Banocin powder......seems pretty effective along with Roxi Thromicin ( third type I have been using)...anti biotics...always a problem with anti biotics is the fact that the infections don't always respond as we tend to use too many of 'em.......how to do as the Thais say.....suck and see seems the way to go...

Also fungal infections in tropics are an issue lots of anti fungal creams out there which are effective along with the soaps such as Dettol etc which must be beneficial as anti bacterials...such is life in the tropicssmile.png

Strange, this year for the first time I have been getting boil like skin eruptions. Don't know if they are bites or reactions from some thing else. Been planting coconuts and clearing scrub by hand, get enough cuts and bruises, don't need skin infections as well.

Teach me to get involved in a hands on way, should stay in my hammock watching. Jim

Try to use some sort of footwear (wellies for example) as some soil borne bacteria infections can prove fatal!!

Nothing wrong with the medications already mentioned though some only treat a narrow range of bacteria. Banocin powder would most likely be the most effective. My recommendation would be to immediately clean any wound with Betadine (Providone iodine) then use the Banocin powder, and use this treatment (twice daily) for a while until the wound starts to heal.

Try to use some sort of footwear (wellies for example) as some soil borne bacteria infections can prove fatal!!

Nothing wrong with the medications already mentioned though some only treat a narrow range of bacteria. Banocin powder would most likely be the most effective. My recommendation would be to immediately clean any wound with Betadine (Providone iodine) then use the Banocin powder, and use this treatment (twice daily) for a while until the wound starts to heal.

PS. Forgot to mention...............are your tetanus shots up to date?

PPS. Roxithromycin is a good antibiotic to take to treat soil borne bacteria, and also good for many respiratory infections (works well for me anyway).

Any wounds should be treated immediately with either Mercurochrome (red) or Iodine (yellow).

Sold in small coloured squeeze bottles at every pharmacy and 7-11 for about 15bht.

If it gets to the anti-biotic stage, you left things too late.

The tropics are not a place to have untreated wounds of any size.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Excuse me? But i couldn't help but noticing everyone responded this thread in a normal civilized and relaxed way. I think now it could be true what they say about the farming forum... Very comfortable.

There has been the odd confrontation here, but they are very rare.

Mostly this forum is conducted in a very civilised manner and the posters here couldn't be more helpful. Probably, this and the visa forum have the better mannered regular posters on TV.

BTW. What the h*ll does your post have to do with this topic, polease don't come in here and try to hijack a thread!!!!!

Only joking :D

For those who leave things a bit late and end up with that never going to heal wound try getting some "Solcoseryl" jelly. It is Swiss and made from Calves blood apparently. Anyway if you have an open or seeping wound or burn it will accelerate the formation of new skin. Works for me.

Excuse me? But i couldn't help but noticing everyone responded this thread in a normal civilized and relaxed way. I think now it could be true what they say about the farming forum... Very comfortable.

There has been the odd confrontation here, but they are very rare.

Mostly this forum is conducted in a very civilised manner and the posters here couldn't be more helpful. Probably, this and the visa forum have the better mannered regular posters on TV.

BTW. What the h*ll does your post have to do with this topic, polease don't come in here and try to hijack a thread!!!!!

Only joking biggrin.png

Thanks sport! I take that as a welcome. Have a nice evening

For those who leave things a bit late and end up with that never going to heal wound try getting some "Solcoseryl" jelly. It is Swiss and made from Calves blood apparently. Anyway if you have an open or seeping wound or burn it will accelerate the formation of new skin. Works for me.

That only worked in First blood part2 if i recall correctly. Though it has been proven that the burning will indeed speed up the desired regeneration process i feel a little bit uneasy coping with the burning' s side-effects. ;-)

And yes i am one of those who leaves things sometimes a bit late so the jelly must be the solution for me.

http://www.napsgear.net/skin-care-c33/solcoseryl-gel-p263 . Thanks for the input Isaanaussie. I treated my wounds much too late.

Have to say, being a bit of let nature help. I have found that wild jungle honey seems to clean up and aid the recovery of cuts faster than the other creams and pills. Jim

Have to say, being a bit of let nature help. I have found that wild jungle honey seems to clean up and aid the recovery of cuts faster than the other creams and pills. Jim

Yeah, but your honey guys keep getting arrested or just disappearing.

• Like 1

as someone said above iodine from 7,11,

ive found its them bloody tiny flies that come when youve got a cut, i just put the iodine on and leave it open so it dries better, unless it was a deep cut then plaster for a couple of days,

jake

is a pair of wellington boots not best solution

If i have a choice when i am picking cucumbers in the simmering sun in a thai field when already wearing long sleeve shirts. I don' t want to make myself more uncomfortable when i am wearing boots as well to make it more hot. So after reading all you posts, thank you for taking the time, more questions emerged. Though i have learned from you i have to take care of my wounds earlier and i got confirmation from you about the proper treatment i do not want to treat wounds all the time and want to fix my problem at the root.

In short: i would like to work on the land in Thailand barefoot or wearing only flip flops. I wonder if there is a way to make my body resistant against infections coming from the mud going through my thin foot skin.

I am not sure if i am out of line here posting this. But all i hear is how we can treat the infections. Only 1 preventive measure has been suggested by marstonts but i do not like it. Thanks anyway

In long: Farming in Thailand is my goal and i am very serious about it. So while preparing to do so for an indefinite period of time i want to take care of my well being and especially my medical condition. By this i mean i really would rather not go to a thai hospital if i can take preventive measures first. I think everybody here knows what i mean.

Also i will specify my problem to hopefully get more advice. I have lived in Thailand for 2 years totally in my life but i NEVER took of my shoes, never wore flip flops. But this year i learned to wear them. I don' t want to go back wearing shoes or boots because i want to work in the land comfortably.

Dancealot, Thongs as we Aussies call them aren't going to cut it (no pun intended) protecting your feet. You need something a bit better to stop the cuts etc on the soles and sides of your feet. Check out the footwear topic. These crepe slip-ons I use are very light, comfortable and not at all hot. 200 baht in Tescos.

A hot shower and medicated soap will take care of most of the body, but your feet are always at risk on a farm.

Dancealot, Thongs as we Aussies call them aren't going to cut it (no pun intended) protecting your feet. You need something a bit better to stop the cuts etc on the soles and sides of your feet. Check out the footwear topic. These crepe slip-ons I use are very light, comfortable and not at all hot. 200 baht in Tescos.

A hot shower and medicated soap will take care of most of the body, but your feet are always at risk on a farm.

Hi IsaanAussiie. Excuse me but i am Dutch so you leave me clueless when you are reccomending "crepe rubber slipon shoes" B200 Tesco you mentioned in the footwear thread? Can you show me a photo please.

555 tried that too ...wild honey is supposed to be good for lots of things both topical and internal...heard about it first in Oz for white tail spider bites....too messy and an attractor of ants etc.topically so have to ingest as a chaser to a whiskey or two.

When first got the infection also tried all the MIL,rellies etc recommended poultices ..salads of all sorts including coconut oil and veggies from the jungle........what a mess!!.... still can't get the stains out of the bedclothes.....

The problem comes when there is a break in the skin. If ghe skin is intact, it will naturally protect you, buty any break in the skin and thre nasties can enter. You should try to avoid these activities when you have a break in the skin. If you can't, then cover it well with a wateroroof dressing or plastic cover while you are out in the fields and then as son as you get home remove it and irrigate/wash the area with hydrogen peroxide then apply betediner and leave open to ther air.

Basically going into watery, muddy fields with broken skins is asking for trouble.

The problem comes when there is a break in the skin. If ghe skin is intact, it will naturally protect you, buty any break in the skin and thre nasties can enter. You should try to avoid these activities when you have a break in the skin. If you can't, then cover it well with a wateroroof dressing or plastic cover while you are out in the fields and then as son as you get home remove it and irrigate/wash the area with hydrogen peroxide then apply betediner and leave open to ther air.

Basically going into watery, muddy fields with broken skins is asking for trouble.

But i had no open wounds bruises or cuts on my feet. How did this happen?

Jungle sores and ulcers are part of the environment here. I had a similar ulcerated wound caused by a tiny mite bite. Local lousy chickens introduced them into my pig sty and hence on to me and some of the pigs. These things are very small and burrow into the skin. Within 24 hours they can produce a seeping wound large enough to put your thumb into. Many other insects cause similar reactions. There are also many viruses, bacteria and fungal causes endemic here in farm soils.

Watch a Thai farmer, wherever possible he will wash his hands and feet whenever he stops working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just returned to LOS from working away and eager to get back into the fields,, only thing I found with these plastic clogs are especially when working on muddy and/or wet land the muddy sludge works it's way inside the shoe and shortly I find myself walking with them with the sole pointing upwards also same effect with flip flops, if I'm lucky it's only the shoe that works its way round the foot and not myself feet up,, hehe,,, I suppose it doesnt help the fact that i cant seem to find a perfect fitting pair,,

Best I've found for me on the wet ground are those foot sock types, or the neoprene (dive type shoes), although the foot socks I suppose would limit protection against cuts.

Being Dutch then the term Clogs has more meaning I suppose. Attached is a picture of something similar to mine. The difference being the ones I have, have an inner sole.
  • Like 1

Hi guys, just returned to LOS from working away and eager to get back into the fields,, only thing I found with these plastic clogs are especially when working on muddy and/or wet land the muddy sludge works it's way inside the shoe and shortly I find myself walking with them with the sole pointing upwards also same effect with flip flops, if I'm lucky it's only the shoe that works its way round the foot and not myself feet up,, hehe,,, I suppose it doesnt help the fact that i cant seem to find a perfect fitting pair,,

Best I've found for me on the wet ground are those foot sock types, or the neoprene (dive type shoes), although the foot socks I suppose would limit protection against cuts.

Being Dutch then the term Clogs has more meaning I suppose. Attached is a picture of something similar to mine. The difference being the ones I have, have an inner sole.

Thanks for the input Johnny. Foot sock typesss, dive shoes. Sounds good to me. I feel we are getting somewhere here.

I'm always getting cuts grazes and insect bites.

I find that Systral cream, Chlorphenoxamine, helps them to heal quicker an reduces any itchiness.

I always seem to increse the risk of infection by scratching and worsening the injury.