Showering, Thailand - Safety?

mrxten

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I simply do not trust the shower units or the lights in the swimming pool.

Lights in the pool are supplied with 24V from a transformer which is outside of the pool.

(I once watched a repair of those in a hotel pool)

So really no reason to worry about those lights.

Would be far too dangerous to wire 220V underwater.

Proper grounding and electronic circuit breakers are an absolut must.

I have read some ridicolous posts here (ThailandBert e.g.).

A newly installed shower unit will not pose a threat for quite a while.

But corrosion and other abrasion might lead to a contact between the running water and the heating wires.

It might be a good idea to (let) inspect the units from time to time (disconnect power, open housing).

Only for the experienced!

Edited by KhunBENQ

How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

None. Zero. Nada.

Now I'm not saying it's not possible. But I've taken thousands of showers here in various places and have NEVER, not once, thought about electrocution or any such nonsense. If the OP worries about such things, then he's going to be stressing himself out unnecessarily. And stress is something that WILL harm you over the long term.

How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

None. Zero. Nada.

Now I'm not saying it's not possible. But I've taken thousands of showers here in various places and have NEVER, not once, thought about electrocution or any such nonsense. If the OP worries about such things, then he's going to be stressing himself out unnecessarily. And stress is something that WILL harm you over the long term.

I agree that the odds are extremely small of an event. Still, information posted in this topic as to what to watch out for is useful and can minimize the issue even more.

Having just bought a new house we are having a shower fitted soon, I have seen the fuse box but does this always have an ELCB or is it an extra unit? Also sorry to be daft but what does ELCB stand for? Mrs says get the men fitting the air con to fit the shower but I am against this idea. Will most Thai electricians know how to earth the shower?

What's unhelpful ? The first post he makes and he is scared to take a shower because he has heard tales of electrocution. How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

I solved the problem by installing multi point water heaters.

Some people in life simply see problems whilst others see solutions !

Not a very helpful post. Don't you get it? Many people die each year in Thailand because the shower water heaters are not grounded. I can recall about 4 or 5 tourists in the last year alone who died in showers or pools in Thailand. Those were the ones who made the news. How many make the news for dying in the shower in the U.K. ? (I assume you are from the U.K.)

I got a new shower last week - firstly, make sure it is grounded/earthed.

Then make sure you have a circuit breaker.

Also, make sure there is a ELCB safety.

In my bathroom, I have non of the items you mentioned. unsure.png

You have to be joking or you are literally gambling with your life.

Lights in the pool are supplied with 24V from a transformer which is outside of the pool.

Dude you are naive! Pool lights are supplied with 240V!

Properly, they should be either 12VAC or 24VAC transformer coupled lighting. This is a safety requirement in many countries. Thailand may use 240 in above pool lighting and may use 240 in in-pool lighting but not necessarily correct in a safety standpoint. I'm certain many pools do use the safe 12/24 volt systems but of course, being Thailand, can not rely upon that being the general case.

What's unhelpful ? The first post he makes and he is scared to take a shower because he has heard tales of electrocution. How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

I solved the problem by installing multi point water heaters.

Some people in life simply see problems whilst others see solutions !

Not a very helpful post. Don't you get it? Many people die each year in Thailand because the shower water heaters are not grounded. I can recall about 4 or 5 tourists in the last year alone who died in showers or pools in Thailand. Those were the ones who made the news. How many make the news for dying in the shower in the U.K. ? (I assume you are from the U.K.)

How many make the news, very few. How many die in the shower, well in the US around 350 a year!

Properly, they should be either 12VAC or 24VAC transformer coupled lighting. This is a safety requirement in many countries. Thailand may use 240 in above pool lighting and may use 240 in in-pool lighting but not necessarily correct in a safety standpoint. I'm certain many pools do use the safe 12/24 volt systems but of course, being Thailand, can not rely upon that being the general case.

Yes Tywais I forgot to say "Pool lights are supplied with 240V in Thailand". Seen it many times and of course they are not properly grounded. In California the electrical code requires 3 grounding systems for pool lights.

Having just bought a new house we are having a shower fitted soon, I have seen the fuse box but does this always have an ELCB or is it an extra unit? Also sorry to be daft but what does ELCB stand for? Mrs says get the men fitting the air con to fit the shower but I am against this idea. Will most Thai electricians know how to earth the shower?

ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker) some fuse box's can incorporate them but most fuse box's especially in Thailand

don't have them, unless you specifically buy one with it. You can also buy them separately and have them added in to or next to

your existing fuse box, but they will only protect the one circuit they feed.

Safe-T-Cut is a Thai manufacturer of consumer units (fuse box's) and they sell them with built in RCB's(Residual Current Breaker)

which protect all the circuits in the fuse box which run your whole house, they have an adjustable knob for sensitivity.

I would strongly recommend one of these as they trip out as soon as they sense a difference of up to 30ma. Where as ELCB's don't.

The only way to earth a shower unit is to run an earth cable from the shower unit heater device back to the consumer unit.

If your electrician doesn't do that then he's not a qualified electrician.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replys.

I would say im still at the same level regarding my fears for electricity biggrin.png

However.. Some posts are useful, thank you.

Bringing it up again to be absolutely sure.

In order to break the power for the shower its not enough with the on/off button on the unit, correct?

If so. Do all hotels in Thailand have main switch? I remember one hotel where i stayed longer then usual, that there was a big "box" in the hallway and contained electricity stuff.

I dont even like the thought of needing to visit the electricity box with my hands. Guess im safe when it comes to touching the electrical box?

Im that sort of person that always is worried. Doesn't matter realy what it is. If im flying in Thailand, thats the main topic in my brain. Atm its all about the electricitybiggrin.png However, this is one of my bigger fears.

re.

the circuit breaker and ELCB unit are usually in the consumer unit (fuse box)

which shouldn't be in the bathroom.

bugger .... somchi failed again : (

dave2

That is an accident waiting to happen!

if you accidentally spray the ELCB box while showering it could be curtains for youw00t.gif

The live cable entering the top is not protected and carries high amperage with 240v

Thank you all for the replys.

I would say im still at the same level regarding my fears for electricity biggrin.png

However.. Some posts are useful, thank you.

Bringing it up again to be absolutely sure.

In order to break the power for the shower its not enough with the on/off button on the unit, correct?

If so. Do all hotels in Thailand have main switch? I remember one hotel where i stayed longer then usual, that there was a big "box" in the hallway and contained electricity stuff.

I dont even like the thought of needing to visit the electricity box with my hands. Guess im safe when it comes to touching the electrical box?

Im that sort of person that always is worried. Doesn't matter realy what it is. If im flying in Thailand, thats the main topic in my brain. Atm its all about the electricitybiggrin.png However, this is one of my bigger fears.

If you want to be sure, just turn the temp knob to minimum setting and have a cold shower,

this will prevent the heating element from switching on and therefore be safe.

If you want to be sure, just turn the temp knob to minimum setting and have a cold shower,

Not really as the 220 is still entering the unit including the switch and internal terminals. My house, all 3 bathrooms have heaters with ELB and the master switch is on the wall outside the bathroom.

Not really as the 220 is still entering the unit including the switch and internal terminals. My house, all 3 bathrooms have heaters with ELB and the master switch is on the wall outside the bathroom.

I hear you.

But would it be safe to only do as the previous writer wrote? I want a straight answer.thumbsup.gif

Agree, but at least the current won't be flowing around the heater element.

I was just trying to give mrxten some simple advice so he doesn't start playing around with the

electrics in every hotel room he stays in.

If you have cold showers it reduces the risk of electric shock.

If you have cold showers it reduces the risk of electric shock.

Or perhaps if he is overly concerned then he can check out the room first to see if the hotel uses a central water heating system. Then there is no on-demand heater in the equation. wink.png

What do you mean master switch?

My heaters don't have a 'master switch'.

I thought of putting the shower unit outside the bathroom but my electrician said it was totally safe inside. What difference does it make having the unit outside?