Insurgents Released Under Plea Bargain: Thailand

webfact

Insurgents released under plea bargain

Pakorn Puengnetr

The Nation

30193286-01_big.jpg

Fourth Army Region Commander Udomchai Thammasarorat

First two graduates of amnesty plan complete six months of re-education

BANGKOK: -- A plea bargaining scheme under the Internal Security Act in the Deep South was implemented successfully for the first time yesterday - as a provincial court in Songkhla freed two convicted insurgents after six months of re-education.

Officials now expect and hope more insurgents will lay down their arms and return to the legal fold and peace in the restive South.

Royalee Bueraheng, 28, and Yasa Jehma, 25, were released by the court from involvement in offences - including terrorism and murder of security officials - committed years ago.

Court surveillance

Both decided to enter the plea bargain scheme under Article 21 of the Internal Security Act early this year and went through the legal process under court surveillance for six months. Their term was completed on October 26. The court considered their cases and ruled on their release and they returned to their community yesterday.

Fourth Army Region Commander Udomchai Thammasarorat met both after the court session and handed them certification to show they had passed through a re-education camp. Aree Tejawanto, chief of Narathiwat Centre for Skill Development also gave them certificates for completing courses in professional photography, and as hair cutting and mechanics. Families, relatives and associates greeted them and extended a warm welcome home.

Article 21 of the Internal Security Act authorises the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) to recommend a court grant amnesty for insurgents who voluntarily turn themselves in to the authorities and agree to undergo a re-education course for six months to change their perception toward the state. In exchange, their criminal and security charges would be dropped. The court might set some more conditions for them to follow before or after the amnesty.

The Internal Security Act was implemented only in Songkhla's four districts of Chana, Thepha, Saba Yoi and Na Thawi in 2009. Four cases attempted to pass through the scheme in 2010 but changed their minds later, causing the process to fail. Royalee and Yasa were the first suspected insurgents who passed the process.

Violence flared in the Muslim region in 2004 and has taken over 5,000 lives. Nobody has claimed responsibility but top authorities say separatists orchestrated attacks to resist Bangkok rule in the region, where the vast majority of residents are ethnic Muslim Malays.

Reconciliation hopes

Isoc Fourth Region spokesman Pramote Prom-in said the plea bargaining scheme under Article 21 was a new judicial idea for reconciliation to bring justice to both suspects and affected people. Suspects under security charges would be able to go through the process only after their consent on a voluntary basis, he said.

"From now on (Royalee and Yasa) would return to their normal lives with families and associates, with no need to run away and hide any more. They can work like everybody else as they have now developed new skills," Pramote said. One would open a barber shop, while the other would open a computer shop in their home villages.

Another suspect was going through the plea bargaining process, he said. At least 17 more suspected insurgents were qualified to enter it, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-30

This article makes me sick to my stomach. Who the hell do these people think they are and what do they think they are achieving by this banal gesture.

Do they realy imagine that idiotic acts like this are in anyones best intrest.

The concept that they feel that they have the where with all to re-educate these people in 6 months is simply ludicrous at best. I think that the ISA is the group that should undergo re education or perhaps just education.

These 2 perps were associated with acts of terrorism envolving the loss of life of security forces and they are now free to go home and start again. Simply a get out of jail card which will evoke the sentiment that you can bomb and kill and as long as you give youself up you will receive skill training and be released again in 6 months.

After the war in Vietnam North Vietnam forces rounded up all the southern Vietnamese military and sent them up north or re education for 10 years ... not 6 months. I am sure the insurgents in the Restive South are pissing themselves laughing at this act of complete idiocy. This whole scenarion was as well though out as the Bangkok flood plan. Thai administration is truly pathetic.

How could anyone be trained, to any acceptable standard, to be a professional photographer, hairdresser or mechanic in six months? I guess you could have a go at training a hairdresser in such a short period but I wouldn't dream of using a mechanic or professional photographer who had only six months training.

There's no information as to what the re-education involves aside from the above mentioned vocational courses. Are they going to be re-educated as Buddhists? Have they renounced their Muslim faith? Do they now believe that the government of Thailand are working for the best interests of the Muslim population in Southern Thailand?

It all sounds a bit suspect to me.

Prayuth is great in telling BS, so he should get the task of telling the parents of little children and the husbands of wives why they let out the cowards who maimed or killed their relatives by putting up roadside bombs, setting of car bombs and beheaded or shot innocents people. The story will be wonderful I suppose the real reason is that the army is completely incompetent and is more focused on raping democracy and protecting royalist interest than in protecting people.

coffee1.gif I do not believe for one tenth of a second you can plea bargain with any insurgent; are they <deleted> Crazy. They probably made them promise not to kill innocent people for at least 1 year. No one in their right mind plea bargains with terrorists; they cannot be plea bargained with. You Killem where they stand. Did their Victums, the people they murdered have a chance to Plea Bargin...HELL NO! Now I am not sure which one is Brainwashed the Government or the Insurgents. COZ to me it looks like they are NECK AND NECK.coffee1.gif Edited by jerrysteve

I understand the sentiment of all the hard liners here, on the other hand harsh punishment only keeps the cycle of violence alive.

Did think they pardoned some IRA people too for the good of the peace process ?

yes, but the real problem is the money flow....if this isn't cut everything else is just cosmetic.

It seems obvious to me that the Military doesn't know the difference between a Police Action and a War.

The U.S. made the same mistake in Vietnam calling it a Police Action.

Thailand has a WAR On THEIR Hands...and thats the bottom line. coffee1.gif

Either go in and take them all out, or keep pussy footing around, either way lives will be lost. and are still being lost, so it matters not.coffee1.gif

How could anyone be trained, to any acceptable standard, to be a professional photographer, hairdresser or mechanic in six months? I guess you could have a go at training a hairdresser in such a short period but I wouldn't dream of using a mechanic or professional photographer who had only six months training.

There's no information as to what the re-education involves aside from the above mentioned vocational courses. Are they going to be re-educated as Buddhists? Have they renounced their Muslim faith? Do they now believe that the government of Thailand are working for the best interests of the Muslim population in Southern Thailand?

It all sounds a bit suspect to me.

Non of the workers used in construction, appears to have had more than 6 months education. That´s called the Thai-standard.

Yes agree wit the OP. What exactly is 're-education' of an insurgent? What is taught? What guarantees on releasing them stops them reoffending?

"You've been avery very naughty boy! You have killed and maimed people. But now that you say you wont do it again we will give you a hairdresser course and you are free to go, as long as you promise not to do it again..ok! , meanwhile those naughty people that said some silly things on an internet site about someone special deserve to stay in jail for 10 years". rolleyes.gif

Sick to the stomach . Instead of freeing the insurgents, try rounding them all up! That would stop the conflict!

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

I understand the sentiment of all the hard liners here, on the other hand harsh punishment only keeps the cycle of violence alive.

Did think they pardoned some IRA people too for the good of the peace process ?

yes, but the real problem is the money flow....if this isn't cut everything else is just cosmetic.

True too, i guess everyone here also thinks the military is completely innocent and never kill the wrong guys. Or that there are no black ops killing people.

Mind you i am pro Thailand just don't believe its so one sided and that violence is always the solution.

Is there syllabus for this program? How does one get reeducated? Do tell!

I thing they performed a lobotomy.

Suck out their brain and replace them with pigs' brain !

That is why pig brain soup has doubled in price all over

Thailand !!

From what I understand this type of program has has success in Indonesia, I believe they basically get the moderate Muslims to point out the misininterpretations of the Koran where murder and maiming is divine. However I believe they still do their jail time, it is about changing their attitudes for when they rejoin society.

If the Thais are offerring 6 months re-education instead of life for murder then I strongly suspect this may not work out well as that is not the intention of the program. Gets a nice headline and photo op though.

"From now on (Royalee and Yasa) would return to their normal lives with families and associates, with no need to run away and hide any more. They can work like everybody else as they have now developed new skills," Pramote said. One would open a barber shop, while the other would open a computer shop in their home villages.

That is until families of some of their past victims find their location then perhaps there might be a couple of Thai suicides?

Pray tell who is going to fund these new business ventures? What a joke! I agree with a previous post, 'Thailand is at war' whether they like to admit it or not!

Is there syllabus for this program? How does one get reeducated? Do tell!

I thing they performed a lobotomy.

Suck out their brain and replace them with pigs' brain !

That is why pig brain soup has doubled in price all over

Thailand !!

Ridiculous, this would cause problems as they are Muslim and placing the pig brains inside the lobotomized skull of a Muslim is against the religion, i'm sure. Think beef.

I remember when Hanoi instituted their "re-education" programs, and Pol Pot ... had his own version of "re-education" as well.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the big one, except China didn't call it re-education did they? They called it the Great Cultural Revolution.

These guys were released by the court from involvement in offences - including terrorism and murder of security officials. After a 6 month re-education course.You got to be joking. Well if this is the case, I cant see a problem with my man Thaksin Shinawat coming home and doing his re-education course at home for 6 months. S**T he is laughing all the way home at this rate. Whats everyone winging about, these 2 guys and their mates have murdered over 5000 Buddists, Muslems, kids, Teachers and the list goes on and it still has not stopped. What a joke.

coffee1.gif I do not believe for one tenth of a second you can plea bargain with any insurgent; are they <deleted> Crazy. They probably made them promise not to kill innocent people for at least 1 year. No one in their right mind plea bargains with terrorists; they cannot be plea bargained with. You Killem where they stand. Did their Victums, the people they murdered have a chance to Plea Bargin...HELL NO! Now I am not sure which one is Brainwashed the Government or the Insurgents. COZ to me it looks like they are NECK AND NECK.coffee1.gif

How about, bring your enemy to the table and let's talk.

A solution is always possible.

coffee1.gif I do not believe for one tenth of a second you can plea bargain with any insurgent; are they <deleted> Crazy. They probably made them promise not to kill innocent people for at least 1 year. No one in their right mind plea bargains with terrorists; they cannot be plea bargained with. You Killem where they stand. Did their Victums, the people they murdered have a chance to Plea Bargin...HELL NO! Now I am not sure which one is Brainwashed the Government or the Insurgents. COZ to me it looks like they are NECK AND NECK.coffee1.gif

How about, bring your enemy to the table and let's talk.

A solution is always possible.

Didn't work with Adolf and crew. coffee1.gif