U S Election Will Not Impact Thailand: Think Tank

webfact

US election will not impact Thailand: Think tank

By Digital Media

20121101133426.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 1 - The result of the upcoming US presidential election will not have any significant impact on Thai economy and national security as the US policies over the ASEAN regional bloc has not been raised during the campaigns of both presidential candidates, according to the Political Development Council at Thailand’s King Prajadhipok Institute.

Council chairman Suchit Boonbongkarn spoke at a seminar on "Thailand and the Region in Post-US Presidential Election" held by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs today.

He expressed belief that no matter whether President Barack Obama, a Democrat, or Mitt Romney from the Republican Party wins the Nov 6 election, there will be no ramifications for Thailand’s economy and national security.

Mr Suchit reasoned that both presidential candidates have never mentioned US policies toward the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in which Thailand is a member country during their election campaigns.

He noted that in the 2012 US presidential election, the American voters are focusing on the candidates' policies on how to tackle the country’s troubled economy and they will vote for anyone whose policies benefit their living conditions.

Deputy Permanent-Secretary for Defence Gen Nipat Thonglek said the Thailand has had close relations with the US for a long time despite some ups and downs due to domestic problems.

Gen Nipat said the US has always given military support to Thailand and during this period Thailand has frequently welcomed several key American defence and foreign affairs figures as the US wants Thailand to play a key role in the region.

At the same time, the US sees Thailand as a gateway to Myanmar, as well as to monitor rivalries and possible conflict in South China Sea, the general said.

Gen Nipat added that the US Defence Secretary is scheduled to visit Thailand Nov 15 on an official invitation of the Thai defence ministry, before attending the ASEAN Defense Ministers' Meeting (ADMM) in neighbouring Cambodia. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-01

Gen Nipat added that the US Defence Secretary is scheduled to visit Thailand Nov 15 on an official invitation of the Thai defence ministry, before attending the ASEAN Defense Ministers' Meeting (ADMM) in neighbouring Cambodia. (MCOT online news)

I wonder if the real PM of Thailand will fly in from Dubai to attend the ADMM meeting?

• Like 2

I hate to break it to you Mr. Suchit Boonbongkarn but the U.S. cares way more about Myanmar because it has a lot more natural resources then Thailand ever has. The U.S. plays nice with Thailand as a basic formality.

I am curious about this think tank though, I wonder how much you have to pay to get a job there??

• Like 1

I hate to break it to you Mr. Suchit Boonbongkarn but the U.S. cares way more about Myanmar because it has a lot more natural resources then Thailand ever has. The U.S. plays nice with Thailand as a basic formality.

I am curious about this think tank though, I wonder how much you have to pay to get a job there??

Though they are obviously intertwined, it'd be foolish of you to focus on economic interests to the exclusion of strategic ones: the US government doesn't (always) make that mistake.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I seriously doubt Romney knows where Thailand is. I'm amazed he knows where his ass is.

But the current administration doesn't know much as well. But it doesn't matter much as the president isn't the decision maker. He is just the male version of Yingluck.

That's three in a row. What's with the fixation or fascination of what's happening in the USA might or might not effect Thailand?

1. Kittiratt looks to reconstruction in US for economic boost

2. Hurricane Sandy to have little effect on US tourism to Thailand, experts say

3. U S Election Will Not Impact Thailand: Think Tank

What's next ?

"de facto leader Thaksin's successful USA trip likely to result in tremendous monetary gains for Thailand"

or

"Thaksin's interest in Thai restaurants in the USA leads to increased rice exports"

• Like 1

A Thai think tank? Obviously not related to the government then.

Actually I would agree with them. Whatever happens in the US election will have no bearing on Thailand. I doubt either side is really that bothered about Thailand one way or the other.

• Like 1

As though having an anti invasion of foreign countries President versus one who supports US direct military intention far more, isn't likely to have a geopolitical effect on the whole world......

I'll pretend to take your post seriously for long enough to ask which one is "an anti invasion of foreign countries President" and which one "supports US direct military intention far more".?

(Because if you mean President Obama is the former, I'd point out he has invaded Pakistan and used force in Yemen neither of which have made war on the US; that's just what we know of for certain. This is not a criticism - I don't object to those actions. But Obama is no pacifist or non-interventionist unwilling to use force in pursuit of what he sees as US interests/security).

• Like 1

As though having an anti invasion of foreign countries President versus one who supports US direct military intention far more, isn't likely to have a geopolitical effect on the whole world......

I'll pretend to take your post seriously for long enough to ask which one is "an anti invasion of foreign countries President" and which one "supports US direct military intention far more".?

(Because if you mean President Obama is the former, I'd point out he has invaded Pakistan and used force in Yemen neither of which have made war on the US; that's just what we know of for certain. This is not a criticism - I don't object to those actions. But Obama is no pacifist or non-interventionist unwilling to use force in pursuit of what he sees as US interests/security).

I was typing on my phone as so didn't want to get to detailed, but for this so called think tank to claim it doesn't matter who wins is very fanciful.

Just a few examples.

They disagree completely on China economically, one would probably be much less likely to commit navy to a Spratleys problem. One is far more hawkish on Iran than the other which can screw the oil market.

And the list goes on and on.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I was typing on my phone as so didn't want to get to detailed, but for this so called think tank to claim it doesn't matter who wins is very fanciful.

Fair enough.

I'd add that posters who rule out the possibility of Thailand being of any importance to the US in any way are being perhaps a bit less than perscipacious.

• Like 1

Pretty much a done deal - no one gives a dam_n about the US facing its own demise other than the dumbed down US populace who will eventually wake up. Will that affect Thailand? Maybe - just maybe... But if the world shrugs off the shackles of payments in USD and the USD is no longer in demand - the slide into the toilet for the US will be so fast Thailand won't even have time to draw breath. The sooner the better and then this article will receive a conclusive response...

Fair enough.

I'd add that posters who rule out the possibility of Thailand being of any importance to the US in any way are being perhaps a bit less than perscipacious.

I really don't think it will make that much difference here in Thailand who wins. I do believe that there will be a little difference in regards to how The States deal with China. But I doubt it would make much difference than what we have now.

If Thailand was in a stragetic place in relationship to military matters in Iran and the Republicans got in then it would defiantly make a difference in are relationship to them.

Fortunately we are safe from that.

• Like 1

I really don't think it will make that much difference here in Thailand who wins. I do believe that there will be a little difference in regards to how The States deal with China. But I doubt it would make much difference than what we have now.

If Thailand was in a stragetic place in relationship to military matters in Iran and the Republicans got in then it would defiantly make a difference in are relationship to them.

Fortunately we are safe from that.

Much difference? Who knows? Probably not but I try to avoid predicting the future -- and as most decent analysts agree foreign policy is especially problematic to forecast as by their very nature current events shift and policy conforms to it.

In any case, I was referring to people who declare with assurance -- almost certainly because of attitudes about this country rather than any reasoned or informed consideration -- that Thailand couldn't possibly be considered by a future administration to be of any consequence whatsoever.

• Like 1

The USA is becoming less and less of a factor in the world every day. Their building debt load and the spend thrift ways they use are ruining the country. If Obama gets another term and keeps on the way he is going the USA is in a big problem.

• Like 1

"Experts Divided Over Whether Obama or Romney Would Get More Electoral Votes If Thailand were a US State"

If Thailand were a US state, its votes would go to Disney Corp.

no they would vote this one who pays them 500 Baht for their vote.

• Like 1

The USA is becoming less and less of a factor in the world every day. Their building debt load and the spend thrift ways they use are ruining the country. If Obama gets another term and keeps on the way he is going the USA is in a big problem.

If the US is in big problems it effects all the world.

Because they buy less and buy more domestic so everywhere they sell less....less profit....the Thai owner doesn't buy a new Mercedes....the German worker has less work and can't make holidays in Thailand....etc etc

So it effects to some degree the whole world.

The other things is Obama may start a new war as diversion. An external enemy always helped.

• Like 1

DEFINITION OF AN EXPERT: SOMEONE WHO KNOWS MORE AND MORE ABOUT LESS AND LESS, UNTIL FINALLY THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT NOTHING.

The last time I looked, Thailand inhabited the same planet as the United States, and I find it hard to believe any educated observer anywhere in the world is of the opinion that the outcome of next week's American election will not affect American relations with the rest of the world. I am well aware that the discussion of foreign policy was very limited in the Presidential debates, but any informed observer of the American political scene can read between the lines, knowing the history of the Democrat and Republican parties in the last few decades. The debates are merely political theatre for domestic consumption, for better or for worse. Naturally, the Thai government wisely pursues a policy of strict neutrality, not wanting to risk pulling a Netanyahu and be accused of meddling in American elections. However, for a supposed Thai Think Tank to draw such patently preposterous conclusions boggles the mind. Think Tanks are tasked with " thinking the unthinkable", as the legendary Herman Kahn liked to say, and their job is to present hopefully plausible scenarios for possible outcomes. This means being unafraid to ask unpleasant questions, and answer them to the best of their abilities. At this point, most Americans could offer dramatically different scenarios if either candidate were elected, their respective visions doubtless affected by their party affiliation. I am also quite sure educated Chinese citizens would have views to offer, as well. It is, of course, entirely possible that members of this so-called Thai Tank are hedging their bets, so as not to offend the possible winners of the election.wink.png However,if I were funding this project, I would either ask them to go to the drawing board for more brainstorming to come up with some plausible scenarios, or else demand a refund. It is amazing these so-called experts have the audacity to come up with this kind of nonsense.

• Like 1

The US election will barely have an impact on the US, let alone Thailand. Two peas from the same status quo pod are the two "choices" we were provided with.

If and when someone bombs iran and the straight of hormuz is shut and ask hell breaks loose. if oil goes to180 usd a barrel, then i presume the think tank will be first to explain why.

Personally I think the U.S. Elections may very well impact Thailand. I mean with people complaining about the election process, voting, etc. the USA system may well teach Thai officials, political parties and other fools how to handle it.

"Campaigns Brace to Sue for Votes in Crucial States"

http://www.nytimes.c...dit_th_20121102