Wooden Boat Collective In Chiang Mai?

Kimpanzee

Sounds like the interest is heating up for the build. Excellent. Brad, you are welcome to join in anytime. Maybe we should think of setting up another meeting at the same place as last time....cheap beer, etc.

This website www.phuketsiamtimber.com is where I was quoted prices on marine plywood. The shipping was very reasonable, as well.

- 6mm x 1220mm x 2440mm @1,100฿

- 10mm x 1220mm x 2440mm @1,550฿

- transportation cost ((DDD transport Phuket) @720฿

PHUKET - Chiang Mai

door-to-door

This is pretty good pricing to me. This is apparently for BS-1088 plywood.

Let me (us) know if you guys would like to meet again soon. I was thinking maybe after the holidays on a Weds. night. Early Jan.?

Kip

Sounds like the interest is heating up for the build. Excellent. Brad, you are welcome to join in anytime. Maybe we should think of setting up another meeting at the same place as last time....cheap beer, etc.

This website www.phuketsiamtimber.com is where I was quoted prices on marine plywood. The shipping was very reasonable, as well.

- 6mm x 1220mm x 2440mm @1,100฿

- 10mm x 1220mm x 2440mm @1,550฿

- transportation cost ((DDD transport Phuket) @720฿

PHUKET - Chiang Mai

door-to-door

This is pretty good pricing to me. This is apparently for BS-1088 plywood.

Let me (us) know if you guys would like to meet again soon. I was thinking maybe after the holidays on a Weds. night. Early Jan.?

Kip

Kip, thanks for the reply. The plywood source looks very promising. We'll arrive during first week of March. Weather should be warm enough by then, don't you think?... blink.png

I found a design I'd like to build -- but can't figure out how to upload an image to a post on here. Is there some secret involved?

Brad

• 3 months later...

Hey, collective. We are back on track after a period of getting tools, a shed built, etc. We are planning on starting the Caledonia Yawl this coming weekend in Chiang Mai. We (Kevin and me) will be buying plywood and 2x4s to put together the stations for planking. I now have a 22 foot covered space to build the boat under in my driveway/carpark/bikepark. I changed plans from the Scamp because I thought the size and layout was too limiting depending on the number of people that we want to take out sailing. The CY can hold 8 adults in a pinch. It's a open boat so the deck won't be an issue and it's an even better light wind sailor. It's also a double-ender which is my favorite. We plan on starting on this Sunday if anybody wants to swing by. My phone number again is 0814724968. My address is

12/3 Moo 12

Baan Porjai

T. Mae Hia

A. Muang

Chiang Mai

We plan on getting into the building process in a big way during the Songkran festival holiday.

Kip

A wooden boat builder of many year, interested in following along from the building to the launching! Also interested in where hard to track in CM supplies our sourced and have course look forward to sailing pictures on ThaiVisa!

Happy building

• 5 months later...

Hi - this is really interesting - my plan was to import my Drascombe Lugger from England on its trailer (minus outboard to avoid excessive import tax) - but building locally would be more fun. I'm a practical guy, but my workshop is here in the UK :-(

I'll be back in CM in November, living near 700-year Stadium for the winter. I look forward to meeting up with you.

Can you source a swing-cradle trailer in Thailand for the Caledonia Yawl ? (That's what we all use for Drascombes, and it transforms the trailer-sailer experience).

I'll need a tow-hitch fitted to my Fortuner too - any clues for me on where to get that done ?

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - this is really interesting - my plan was to import my Drascombe Lugger from England on its trailer (minus outboard to avoid excessive import tax) - but building locally would be more fun. I'm a practical guy, but my workshop is here in the UK :-(

I'll be back in CM in November, living near 700-year Stadium for the winter. I look forward to meeting up with you.

Can you source a swing-cradle trailer in Thailand for the Caledonia Yawl ? (That's what we all use for Drascombes, and it transforms the trailer-sailer experience).

I'll need a tow-hitch fitted to my Fortuner too - any clues for me on where to get that done ?

John

I would try DangGlawmPratu in CM on Mahidon Rd near beginning of Hang Dong Rd first for any metal fabrication swing cradle or tow hitch.

PM for details.

Nice topic here! Chesapeake Light Craft has numerous plans for small boats. Don't miss out on the stitch and glue kayaks. Built a few including the 22 foot Tred Avon and they make for fast builds and good boats. I used non-waterproof Okume ply and never had a problem as, like cloudhopper stated, the epoxy covers everything. It is important to fix any deep scuffs fast though to stop any water ingress. The building process is interesting as you start with flat sheets of ply and use copper wire to pull the edges together. A lot of tools are not necessary.

http://www.clcboats.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on another part of TV - could be a worry for us - perhaps we should have a friendly chat with our local police to avoid any shocks later -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669227-phuket-immigration-cracks-down-on-yachting-marine-industry/?utm_source=newsletter-20130920-1704&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking

Also, I talked to Jeckells Sails in the UK - they make the sails for my Drascombe Lugger - very satisfactory - rough price in tan for the 3-piece set for the Caledonian Yawl is GBP800 delivered in UK. They have the drawings already.