Obama Thanks Supporters After Winning Re-Election

News_Editor

Guys, are you really happy with the Obama win? I mean to say: Everyone knows he promised to back out of Afghanistan 2 years ago but he failed to keep that promise. Everyone knows he promises more jobs and gives them but alternately brings the USA and drags along all other US economically dependant country's (greece/spain/portugal) down the rabbit hole? Inducing partial world economical decay...

Anyone? Perhaps sir Naam...

Yes. Obama's not the knight in shining white armor, but he's better than the other candidate, and the US electorate agrees with me on that. He's not all-powerful. There's congress, and most of the time, in the past 4 years, Republicans have dragged their feet and said 'NO' to any initiatives Obama and the Dems proposed. Reps will do the same or worse during O's 2nd term. They're willing to stymie Americans' aspirations, if it might give them a chance to tar the Dems and possibly win the next election. It almost worked this time. Glad it didn't.

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to write a list of all federally funded programs and hand-outs (to Americans and to overseas), and sat down with Reps and Dems to see which they would eliminate, it would be a sobering experience. Of that long list, there would be very few, if any items either side would nix. Both parties talk long and loud in generalities about lessening federal expenditures, but when it comes down to brass tacks, all big ticket items are sacrosant in their view. Now, if it was up to me, I could eliminate or lessen funding for many items. But alas, Washington doesn't want a real cost-cutter like me, so I'll just continue to live debt-free at my farmstead in northern Thailand.

From this I think we can say 24/26 or 92.3% of blacks voted for Obama.

I think you meant to say 92.3% of Asians voted for Obama. Of course, Hispanics are the largest ethnic group in America at 15%, but Asians, though making up only about 5% of the population now are also very fast growing, hence the interest and relevance for the next generation of voters.

<deleted>. In case you didn't know, crime is a direct result of poverty and an absence of oppostunity. Give people hope and the tools to prosper and crime will resolve itself. Guess who's being arrested for looting in the storm damaged areas of NYC and NJ? Mostly non afro americans. Gosh, they didn't get your memo did they?

Crime is not caused by poverty, certainly not directly by poverty, you can see this time and time again where immigrants arrive with nothing and the wheat quickly gets sorted from the chaff due to a combination of cultural factors. Perpetuate a victim or entitlement culture and you will get the crime alright with ready made justification whenever the economic chips are down.

Well right out the gate you contradict yourself. Any immigrants arriving in the US with "Nothing" are arriving illegally, they have committed a felony upon crossing the border illegally. So they had nothing, hence living in poverty. This poverty motivated them to commit a crime by entering a country illegally. Clear cut, poverty caused the crime!

"Any immigrants arriving in the US with "Nothing" are arriving illegally..."

REALLY?

You mean all them Somalis, and Ethiopians are illegal? All them Vietnamese boat people are illegal? There's lots of political refugees, from all over the world, accepted into the U.S. - came without nothing - and they are illegal under your standard.

You must be thinking 'brown people' when you talk about illegals.

Edited by qdinthailand

Bill Clinton has been named MVP of the Presidential election. Hard to argue with that.

In the time between Tuesday's presidential race being called and Barack Obama taking the stage at Chicago's McCormick Place, the president made and received two very important phone calls.

"He spoke with President Clinton. He wanted to call President Clinton after Gov. [Mitt] Romney called because President Clinton was valiant on behalf of this campaign, and, as the president said, [was] our most valuable player,

This would be interesting if Clinton were not already in the hall of fame, but what do you do for a following act after winning the super bowl twice yourself, then becoming MVP assisting Obama winning his final super bowl?

http://www.nbcchicag...-177739221.html

Florida is going to go to Obama. You can say it's a moot point, now that Obama has won, yet it's another indication of how polls can be wrong. Most pollsters, particularly right-leaning ones, had it won by Romney. They didn't take in to account the Latino vote which was overwhelming for Obama, and Latinos usually have mobile phones, not land lines - and polls are done using fixed-line phones.

"Early Wednesday morning Obama was edging out Romney by about 45,000 votes, or 0.53 percentage points, out of a total of 8.27 million votes cast in Florida, with about 99 percent of the votes counted." source

Come on Florida. I know your Republican manipulators want to call it for Romney, but with 99% of the vote tallied, you're not going to get over 45,000 votes more than Obama in that last fraction of 1%. Get real. Florida goes to Obama, and Romney loses the electoral vote by much more than 3 to 2. It's closer to 7 to 3. Pardon me for gloating, but it just feels good to say 'Obama Wins.' Reason? It's better for America and its people and its natural environment. Romney and Ryan would always put the environmental protection issues behind money interests. A vote for Obama was a vote for plants and animals and protecting natural habitat, whether voters knew it or not.

Guys, are you really happy with the Obama win? I mean to say: Everyone knows he promised to back out of Afghanistan 2 years ago but he failed to keep that promise. Everyone knows he promises more jobs and gives them but alternately brings the USA and drags along all other US economically dependant country's (greece/spain/portugal) down the rabbit hole? Inducing partial world economical decay...

Anyone?

Perhaps sir Naam...

Obama continues to do the things Bush did (bombing the hell out of countries and killing civillians) but unlike Bush he gets a Nobel peace prize for his efforts.

Obama has 'left cover' and will be able to get away with a lot more without criticism than Romney would have.

Expect more bombings of wedding receptions in Pakistan and a spreading of military action into areas like Syria and the big one - Iran.

And when the US economy goes down the toilet over the next 4 years the democrats have a ready made excuse. They can turn around and point at the Republicans for blocking all of Obama's initiatives.

Look behind the curtain, the same money interests are backing both parties.

• Like 2

I have a hard time understanding why Americans are happy to see their country bankrupted. Just saying.

Who is 'happy' about it? unless it's someone who gets enjoyment from seeing another person unable to pay their bills. In the US, it's compounded by a belief, common among businessmen, politicians and everyone else that: YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BORROW AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Dems aren't worse than Republicans in that regard. Look at the historical record, particularly R.Reagan's raising the debt ceiling 18 times in 8 years while he was president. Reagan is a Republican can-do-no-wrong icon, yet he ballooned the federal deficit to its largest size in US history (not counting war years). All presidents increase the deficit. Sad but true.

Here are some of the signs to watch if/when the US slips to bankruptcy:

>>> federal workers will be laid off

>>> federal services will be curtailed or stopped.

>>> the most vulnerable and poorest will get hurt first: school lunches for poor kids, etc.

>>> Rich white men will be last in line for cuts. Those double dipping with federal hand-outs, etc. And veteran benefits.

>>> the US debt rating will get downgraded. % rates for borrowing will go up.

>>> China will foreclose and take Hawaii. (ok, that's a jest). ......gotta get off this computer.

The economy will spin back this term regardless as to who was in office. Housing market is starting to comeback. Obama will put pressure on banking to open credit back up for home mortgages. The stock market needs to adjust as it is artficially inflated, somewhat, by QE2 and QE3 even though QE3 was really more in response to CMO, REMIC, MERs and etc. to keep BofA, Regions, and other large banks out of a TARP2.

QE3 to repurchase, fund, or back $ 40 Billion per month in bad CMO, REMIC, MERs spawned debt and to keep Ginne, Freddy and Fannie a float with those ridiculous CMO quarantees. The options, let banking system fail (big 3 at least), or continue the course of pumping money into the cavernous abyss created by Republicans who got fat and happy. That money had to go somewhere and now tax payers shouldering the burden.

Anyway, the Fed and Obama are attempting to stablize banking at risk of inflation, but things will start improve once banking stablizes a bit and we stop pumping so much money into our little wars and use it here at home. BofA was reserving $ 100 billion for CMO debt related to Country Wide. The Feds currently easing is really an easing on the banks and their reserves.

The last thing US needs now though is further erossion of the middle class. That can be devastating on an economy.

Not if Hillary is still there.

Out of interest, who do you think Romney would have rewarded with the State Department?

Hillary is leaving. The replacement will probably be John Kerry.

Not Bill Clinton?

Maybe a dark horse candidate is Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress and the first black congressman from Minnesota?

Edited by uptheos

@Maidu, they'll take more than Hawaii smile.png

But yes, I get your point, the American political class is writing cheques they won't have to honour.

Suffer the little American children.

hil_2390357b.jpg

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

If the Democrats would be better off with Michelle Obama next time......that would be a slam dunk. smile.png

A real slave descendant..........and potentially the first female President? That would cause some tremors in the Republican Party.

For that I would make the effort to vote. Hillary would make a good running mate.

If you stop and think about it they both have brains and know the ropes around Washington.

They have both spent 8 years watching their husbands fight bureaucracy and opposition that dosen't care what happens o the people as long as they are the ones doing it to the People.

Well, leaving aside the irresponsibility and hypocrisy of not voting, or the remarkable fact that something like he above scenario would be enough reason to vote whereas you apparently wouldn't otherwise...

1) Being a First Lady doesn't ensure you "know the ropes around Washington" to a sufficient degree to be a POTUS. Moreover, "knowing the ropes" falls well short of being qualified or suited.

2) "Watching your husband" is an absurdly low level of experience.

3) Sec. State Clinton has a great deal more qualifications than the two extremely paltry ones (based on her husband's job) you have cited.

4) Mrs. Obama strikes me as extremely competent and intelligent. She also has virtually zero experience in, among other things, the level of legislation or leadership needed or required.

So I guess you won't be voting.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Bill Clinton has been named MVP of the Presidential election. Hard to argue with that.
In the time between Tuesday's presidential race being called and Barack Obama taking the stage at Chicago's McCormick Place, the president made and received two very important phone calls.

"He spoke with President Clinton. He wanted to call President Clinton after Gov. [Mitt] Romney called because President Clinton was valiant on behalf of this campaign, and, as the president said, [was] our most valuable player,

This would be interesting if Clinton were not already in the hall of fame, but what do you do for a following act after winning the super bowl twice yourself, then becoming MVP assisting Obama winning his final super bowl?

http://www.nbcchicag...-177739221.html

Within minutes of the announcement of the win, I posted elsewhere that anyone who had wanted Obama to be re-elected owes a big debt of gratitude to Bill Clinton.

I have to say that I take some real pleasure in the resurrection of Pres. Clinton. Like a lot of people who otherwise regarded him rather highly, I'm sure, I was disappointed and dismayed by his inability to keep his personal behavior from interfering with his duties (though I far more resent those on the Right that made it into something that I am certain did real damage to the country). I felt he had had a chance to go down in history as one of the best. To see that as an ex-President he has done some significant good with his foundation and other global efforts, that his approval ratings are so high - even among Republicans - and that he came out as The Man in this campaign...it's quite gratifying (and I confess I feel vindicated).

Edited by SteeleJoe

Within minutes of the announcement of the win, I posted elsewhere that anyone who had wanted Obama to be re-elected owes a big debt of gratitude to Bill Clinton....

To see that as an ex-President he has done some significant good with his foundation and other global efforts, that his approval ratings are so high - even among Republicans - and that he came out as The Man in this campaign...it's quite gratifying (and I confess I feel vindicated).

Yes, I know you are something of a Presidential historian, not sure whether that is a hobby or vocation. I am not, but just purely speculating, but how much of Clinton's influence in the election was a result of the public disgrace of Bush Jr., and how much was because of Clinton, the man himself? I've sometimes wondered why Bush Sr. did not play a more helpful role with Romney, but of course, he is quite old and certainly did his time for the party. I suppose the key point is how much did Clinton help with undecideds and independents, as well as those increasingly rare moderate Republicans?

Haha, Hillary for pres and Bill for VP has an awesome ring. I was a die hard Republican until Bill Clinton came along, stood up to Congress and let them shut the Givernment down. Bill did not back down and he totally earned my respect. His planned worked and got country on right track. Then came George W.

No one American in the history of the US has done as much long term damage to the US and out economy as Geirge W and the thugs he surrounded himself with at the insistence of dear old dad. That's why Bush Sr. Didn't cone out for Romney because no one wanted him to.

Within minutes of the announcement of the win, I posted elsewhere that anyone who had wanted Obama to be re-elected owes a big debt of gratitude to Bill Clinton....

To see that as an ex-President he has done some significant good with his foundation and other global efforts, that his approval ratings are so high - even among Republicans - and that he came out as The Man in this campaign...it's quite gratifying (and I confess I feel vindicated).

Yes, I know you are something of a Presidential historian, not sure whether that is a hobby or vocation. I am not, but just purely speculating, but how much of Clinton's influence in the election was a result of the public disgrace of Bush Jr., and how much was because of Clinton, the man himself? I've sometimes wondered why Bush Sr. did not play a more helpful role with Romney, but of course, he is quite old and certainly did his time for the party. I suppose the key point is how much did Clinton help with undecideds and independents, as well as those increasingly rare moderate Republicans?

Something of a presidential historian? I appreciate you saying so! And I guess that's so, but it's a mostly a hobby (only peripherally relates to a former profession).

Interesting questions. There's no doubt that GW Bush made/makes Clinton look better (and also made his Dad look better) in many or most people's eyes. I do think that Clinton is an extraordinarily gifted politician and extremely intelligent -- and both of these qualities have been commonly noted by many political opponents and/or people who would otherwise not be seen as biased. I think he truly had/has the Right Stuff and in a less partisan climate -- and had he not been prone to some real sleazy behavior and questionable ethics -- it would have been more widely recognized than it was.

I wonder too about GHW Bush. My conjecture is that he's a (relatively) principled man who is not entirely on board with the Republicans of today and in his old age has mellowed and gotten some perspective. And I note that by all accounts, he and Clinton have worked well with each other, and have a warm friendship with mutual respect...

I wouldn't care to even to speculatively quantify the help Pres. Clinton gave and with whom. But my guess is it was rather significant. Maybe even a deciding factor.

Haha, Hillary for pres and Bill for VP has an awesome ring. I was a die hard Republican until Bill Clinton came along, stood up to Congress and let them shut the Givernment down.

Nobody has even dared to consider that Bill would be VP, but why the hell not! That would indeed be awesome, the dynamic duo, and pretty much guarantee another 8 years for the Dems after Obama.

I was never a die hard Republican, but I was a Reagan Republican (not a Reagan Democrat), but I am most assuredly not a Republican today as they are a lost bible thumping science-denying cause.

Haha, Hillary for pres and Bill for VP has an awesome ring. I was a die hard Republican until Bill Clinton came along, stood up to Congress and let them shut the Givernment down.

Nobody has even dared to consider that Bill would be VP, but why the hell not! That would indeed be awesome, the dynamic duo, and pretty much guarantee another 8 years for the Dems after Obama.

I was never a die hard Republican, but I was a Reagan Republican (not a Reagan Democrat), but I am most assuredly not a Republican today as they are a lost bible thumping science-denying cause.

Why not? Well, there's a real question as to whether he's eligible and it would wind up going to the Supremes for sure. But I confess, a ticket with Bill Clinton on it would be one I'd be inclined to look at favorably.

Why not? Well, there's a real question as to whether he's eligible and it would wind up going to the Supremes for sure. But I confess, a ticket with Bill Clinton on it would be one I'd be inclined to look at favorably.

I haven't looked into the legalities, but assuming you're right and would need to be tested at the Supreme Court, one clue in the next 4 years, will be someone trying a case on that issue, through the federal appellate system, and then on cert. to the Supremes to set the stage. If we see that, we can assume the Clinton machine is in motion. thumbsup.gif

Anyway, off the top of my head...

1) Bill would be 70 years old and I wouldn't be surprised if, as much as he loved/loves being a player, he wouldn't prefer the benefits of being ex-POTUS (perhaps like being a grandparent -- you can be a favorite with the kids and take credit for the good stuff but hand them back when they annoy you or you don't know how to handle them).

2) I don't think the country would necessarily go for the husband and wife concept and I think two Clintons might be more than they could handle.

3) As much as I'm sure she recognizes his strengths and what an assett he could be, I'm not sure Hillary would want Bill as the Veep. As much genuine regard as I think he has for his wife's abilities he's notorious for the difficulty he has with not backseat driving (though reportedly he got it under control to an admirable degree) and I think it would be exceedingly difficult for him to be No 2. (But maybe he's mellowed...)

It's here. That dreaded day of reckoning for the Republicans.

According to exit polls, Obama won 60 percent of the 18 to 29 year old vote and 52 percent of the 30-40 vote. He won 69 percent of the vote in big cities and 58 percent of the vote in mid-sized cities. He won 93 percent of the black vote and more than 70 percent of both the Asian vote and the Hispanic vote. He won over half of the female vote. And he won 76 percent of the gay, lesbian and bisexual vote.

Mitt Romney won the white vote, the male vote, the elderly vote, the small cities vote and the high-income vote.

On election night, Bill O’Reilly said:

It’s a changing country, the demographics are changing. It’s not a traditional America anymore, and there are 50 percent of the voting public who want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama. O’Reilly continued: “The white establishment is now the minority.”

http://campaignstops...nce-apocalypse/

Another Republican outside the Romney campaign but privy to its thinking described the defeat as a complete pummeling, with Senate losses adding salt to the wound.

Read more: http://www.politico....l#ixzz2BbE68Zzv

It's here. That dreaded day of reckoning for the Republicans.

According to exit polls, Obama won 60 percent of the 18 to 29 year old vote and 52 percent of the 30-40 vote. He won 69 percent of the vote in big cities and 58 percent of the vote in mid-sized cities. He won 93 percent of the black vote and more than 70 percent of both the Asian vote and the Hispanic vote. He won over half of the female vote. And he won 76 percent of the gay, lesbian and bisexual vote.

Mitt Romney won the white vote, the male vote, the elderly vote, the small cities vote and the high-income vote.

On election night, Bill O’Reilly said:

It’s a changing country, the demographics are changing. It’s not a traditional America anymore, and there are 50 percent of the voting public who want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama. O’Reilly continued: “The white establishment is now the minority.”

http://campaignstops...nce-apocalypse/

Another Republican outside the Romney campaign but privy to its thinking described the defeat as a complete pummeling, with Senate losses adding salt to the wound.

Read more: http://www.politico....l#ixzz2BbE68Zzv

tea partiers are saying romney lost because he was too moderate. they're mental.

I have a hard time understanding why Americans are happy to see their country bankrupted. Just saying.

Who is 'happy' about it? unless it's someone who gets enjoyment from seeing another person unable to pay their bills. In the US, it's compounded by a belief, common among businessmen, politicians and everyone else that: YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BORROW AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Dems aren't worse than Republicans in that regard. Look at the historical record, particularly R.Reagan's raising the debt ceiling 18 times in 8 years while he was president. Reagan is a Republican can-do-no-wrong icon, yet he ballooned the federal deficit to its largest size in US history (not counting war years). All presidents increase the deficit. Sad but true.

Here are some of the signs to watch if/when the US slips to bankruptcy:

>>> federal workers will be laid off

>>> federal services will be curtailed or stopped.

>>> the most vulnerable and poorest will get hurt first: school lunches for poor kids, etc.

>>> Rich white men will be last in line for cuts. Those double dipping with federal hand-outs, etc. And veteran benefits.

>>> the US debt rating will get downgraded. % rates for borrowing will go up.

>>> China will foreclose and take Hawaii. (ok, that's a jest). ......gotta get off this computer.

I think you confused the terms 'deficit' (budget deficit, assuming there is a budget) and 'debt' at least once. For what it's worth, from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....tes_public_debt (read at one's own risk)

"From 1981 to 1989, nominal debt held by public nearly tripled. On the one hand, President Ronald Reaganincreased military spending and lowered tax rates. (Reagan slashed the top income tax rate from 70% to 28%, although bills passed in 1982 and 1984 later partially reversed those tax cuts.) On the other hand, congressional Democrats blocked attempts to reverse spending on social programs. Because of the budget deficits that resulted, debt held by the public as a share of GDP increased from 26.2% in 1980 to 41% by the end of the 1980s".

The Wiki article also says that the post WWII U.S. public debt was the smallest under President Nixon.

Edited by MaxYakov

Just how white was Romney's vote? Mighty white. 88 percent white.

Obama won the Latino vote, 71 to 27. He also won the Asian vote, 73 to 26. Those voters all look the same to the losers. That's why they're the losers.

http://www.slate.com...c_campaign.html

121107_POL_DemographicsOfVoters_Chart.jpg

Similar news:

Republican leaders awoke Wednesday to witness their grim future. Without a makeover, a party that skews toward older, white and male voters faces political peril in an increasingly diverse and complex America.

President Obama’s decisive victory over Mitt Romney served as a clinic in 21st-century politics, reflecting expanded power for black and Hispanic voters, dominance among women, a larger share of young voters and even a rise in support among Asians.

http://www.washingto...553f_story.html

It is my impression, this huge margin of ASIANS going democratic is a very new thing in American politics.

Thank you for that chart. I am surprised as well at the Asian vote. This bodes extremely well, and very bad for the Republicans in the future.

Here's another article and chart from the UK Daily mail that shows 73% of the total Asian voters going Democrat. However it also says that they make up only 3% of the voters by race:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229225/Presidential-election-2012-Record-number-Hispanic-voters-head-polls.html